AIRF07
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so I have applied for 2015 entry (deferred entry, I'm doing a gap year in Switzerland as an au pair' however the problem is I have only applied for German.

I now want to do abinito Spanish but I'm wondering how you advanced deutsch speakers have found learning Spanish on top of this.
For the record I couldn't hack learning French at all, so I'm not sure how I would cope with Spanish. Any insight.

I currently have offers for single honours German at Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff and Swansea. Rejection from Manchester as I did not attend both interviews woops
Leeds is my first choice but they do not offer beginners Spanish so now I don't know what to do.

Any insight would be lovely, thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Antoniaotter)
Ok so I have applied for 2015 entry (deferred entry, I'm doing a gap year in Switzerland as an au pair' however the problem is I have only applied for German.

I now want to do abinito Spanish but I'm wondering how you advanced deutsch speakers have found learning Spanish on top of this.
For the record I couldn't hack learning French at all, so I'm not sure how I would cope with Spanish. Any insight.

I currently have offers for single honours German at Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff and Swansea. Rejection from Manchester as I did not attend both interviews woops
Leeds is my first choice but they do not offer beginners Spanish so now I don't know what to do.

Any insight would be lovely, thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm. Have you tried learning any Spanish on your own to see if it works for you? I'm impressed that you can do German but not French. I'm the opposite. I don't think I could ever understand German. I say try learning a bit of Spanish on your own to see if you like it, and if so, get in touch with your university choices and see what options they give you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AIRF07
Rep:
?
I did it when I was 11 years old hHa a long time ago now, but I guess I could try and self teach myself on my gap year .
I think French May hVe been something to do with my teachers as well, but it's never interested me that much, they may be the problem.

I think you would be surprised about how much German you would understand, vocabulary wise. Some if very easy, others not so much.
But thank you for your help x
Jessicafogz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have offers from Leeds for German, Edinburgh and Southampton for German and beginners Spanish and then modern languages at Newcastle but I don't think I want to go there anymore anyway. I was having the exact same problem but I am now not so sure if I want to do beginners Spanish. When I was at the Leeds open day I asked about the opportunities to learn another language, at the time I was hoping I would be able to pick up a beginners Spanish course and although they said they do not offer that course specifically they have an 'electives' system in which students can choose to take up modules from other subjects and the Spanish tutor said that it is perfectly fine for beginners to do that. Additionally if they are good enough they can add it to their main course (I think). I think that this seems like the best option, particularly for me (I also only study German, no interest in learning French but would quite like to try another language) as it means that I have the opportunity to try other languages too if I change my mind about what I want to do. I know I definitely want to study German so having the choice to try other things and see if I like it seems like the best thing to do really! Don't know if that helps, but I tried haha!
AIRF07
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jessicafogz)
I have offers from Leeds for German, Edinburgh and Southampton for German and beginners Spanish and then modern languages at Newcastle but I don't think I want to go there anymore anyway. I was having the exact same problem but I am now not so sure if I want to do beginners Spanish. When I was at the Leeds open day I asked about the opportunities to learn another language, at the time I was hoping I would be able to pick up a beginners Spanish course and although they said they do not offer that course specifically they have an 'electives' system in which students can choose to take up modules from other subjects and the Spanish tutor said that it is perfectly fine for beginners to do that. Additionally if they are good enough they can add it to their main course (I think). I think that this seems like the best option, particularly for me (I also only study German, no interest in learning French but would quite like to try another language) as it means that I have the opportunity to try other languages too if I change my mind about what I want to do. I know I definitely want to study German so having the choice to try other things and see if I like it seems like the best thing to do really! Don't know if that helps, but I tried haha!

Oh yeah atleast I can try Spanish if I just do German. That helps! Also I'm sure you could change your application to just german, especially if you have your offers for German and beginners spanish anyway. Thanks for your help ))) xxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (174)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.12%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.92%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.6%

Watched Threads