Anyone else struggling to integrate with working class people?

Watch
BrodkinFan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Like in min wage jobs etc...Is it basically, to use one of their delightful colloquialisms 'like pissing in the wind'.

I'm not saying I am not in favour of redistributed taxes for the inherited poor but is there any way one can just avoid them entirely and never have to hear about City Rovers again?
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BrodkinFan)
Like in min wage jobs etc...Is it basically, to use one of their delightful colloquialisms 'like pissing in the wind'.

I'm not saying I am not in favour of redistributed taxes for the inherited poor but is there any way one can just avoid them entirely and never have to hear about City Rovers again?
If you have a minimum wage job, you are working class, essentially
LiamSoissons
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

As a working class person I can tell you that we're really nice. I know there's a lot of scum, but if someone's in uni the chances are they don't belong to the scum...

We struggle speaking with middle class people, we get annoyed because they take having money for granted.

For example, if a working class person says to a middle class person "I haven't gotten any money", the middle class person will reply with "then withdraw some". They don't quite understand the concept of being poor. When a working class person says they don't have any money they genuinely mean they don't have a penny to their name.

My ex was middle class and it's like she's from a different world. All that etiquette and posh stuff.

Just try not to mention money and you'll be fine around us. And you don't have to use our vulgar phrases, and we'd be happy to explain them if you don't understand.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Working class is where the power lies, they don't just know it.

Plus the working class built this country so no you cannot avoid them.
Reppion95
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The boundaries for the class system are extremely blurred because you could be a millionaire and still be working class... At what point do you become upper class? Will you remain working and your children will be upper because they were born into money? You should not worry about such things as such things do not matter themselves I also feel as though you are insulting their intelligence yes? If so, those of the highest class can also be themselves complete idiots and as I pointed out before, be born into money. This does not instantly mean they will be intelligent and be full of intriguing conversation. It is all down to the individual and you should not judge on account of what class they may or may not be in
LiamSoissons
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Reppion95)
The boundaries for the class system are extremely blurred because you could be a millionaire and still be working class... At what point do you become upper class? Will you remain working and your children will be upper because they were born into money? You should not worry about such things as such things do not matter themselves I also feel as though you are insulting their intelligence yes? If so, those of the highest class can also be themselves complete idiots and as I pointed out before, be born into money. This does not instantly mean they will be intelligent and be full of intriguing conversation. It is all down to the individual and you should not judge on account of what class they may or may not be in
A lot of people seem to think our class system is based on money, like the American one... but it's not.

You're born into your class, and I don't think it's possible to change class. (though people would disagree). A class is like a culture, and you can't suddenly change cultures.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I prefer the characteristics of the stereotypical working class: honest, down to earth, hard working, up for a laugh, knows the value of money; to the characteristics of the stereotypical middle class: pretentious, pseudo-intellectuals, tries too hard to be impressive/"cultural", will try to control their children's future just to save their reputation and name, thinks they're cool by spending money carelessly. Even if I'm not one for clubbing every week or like holidays with friends, I think the working class is more interesting and I have more in common.

That is by going by generalisations. I don't believe in classes and I try to judge people on their merits rather than perceived social class.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Working class is where the power lies, they don't just know it.

Plus the working class built this country so no you cannot avoid them.
Good post
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LiamSoissons)
You're born into your class, and I don't think it's possible to change class. (though people would disagree).
I disagree
Kenc63
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Surely it is time we in this country stopped talking about class all the time, if you work at anything, then you are in the working class. The longer we perpetuate the class system by always going on about it, the longer we shall have a class system. Go to the states, they simply do not understand what you mean.
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
put on a flat cap, start talking with an exaggerated northern accent, you'll fit right in

it also helps if you can talk about your days down t'pit
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

What a ******** post.

Believe it or not, most people get on quite fine with each other.

You're displaying either a blatant sign of immaturity, or obvious stupidity. Hopefully it's the former, because then you'll have the chance to grow out of that idiot mindset of yours.

The 'delightful colloquialism' you used doesn't even make sense in this context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kenc63
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Scubar)
put on a flat cap, start talking with an exaggerated northern accent, you'll fit right in

it also helps if you can talk about your days down t'pit
Typical uneducated view of someone not from below Watford, get a life
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kenc63)
Typical uneducated view of someone not from below Watford, get a life
so it's true, you really can't get sarcasm over the internet
Kenc63
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Scubar)
so it's true, you really can't get sarcasm over the internet
It is the lowest form of wit, if you can possibly think it as being witty.
EllieC130
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Advice? If you want to fit in, don't act like you're better than them. Or we will take our pitchforks, get someone to hold our hoop earrings and beat the crapola out of you XD
Scubar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kenc63)
It is the lowest form of wit, if you can possibly think it as being witty.
Aren't you a joyful little ray of sunshine?
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The class system doesn't work for the UK anymore. What used to define the middle and upper classes (education, wealth, connection) doesn't define them anymore. I read an article a while back suggesting a new class for the 'up and coming 20s' (Graduates with jobs etc) which are people who are essentially middle class in traits but don't have money/property which distinguishes them from the 'true middle class'. They are rich in time and culture butbut don't have excess money.
chukster97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is why you should work hard in school kids
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There was a saying that my mother always used to preach at me - clogs to clogs in 3 generations. Meaning essentially that you can build yourself a future to pass onto your kids but there is a good chance they will not do the same. Never tread on the little guy when you are climbing the ladder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (686)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (860)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (387)
19.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.5%

Watched Threads