Chemistry or biology help Watch

Bld
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, I am in year 11 now and have applied for my sixth form. I now need to choose my subject and I can't decide between biology or chemistry. I prefer chemistry at gcse and have more of an interest in it that biology but I don't know what to choose at AS. I've heard biology is easier but is it really interesting? And is chemistry really hard. Will someone help me who has done both these courses and both subjects are with aqa. Thankyou
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which other subjects?

Without knowing I'd say chemistry definitely!
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't done both so hopefully someone else can add to this, but I've done chemistry and I think it's a good subject to take. It's a lot more interesting in my opinion and you need it a lot more than biology for a lot of university courses. It is difficult, but if you have an interest in it, it's fine. It's a lot to learn and you do have to do quite a lot of equations but as long as you know the basic principles it becomes pretty easy.

Trust me, you don't want to do a subject that doesn't interest you for 1 or 2 years. If it doesn't interest you your less likely to try as hard which will, regardless of what subject, make you do badly.
Bld
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Which other subjects?

Without knowing I'd say chemistry definitely!
I am going to do maths, philosophy and ethics, then one of the sciences and business but I will drop that after the first year
Bld
Rep:
?
(Original post by k4l397)
I haven't done both so hopefully someone else can add to this, but I've done chemistry and I think it's a good subject to take. It's a lot more interesting in my opinion and you need it a lot more than biology for a lot of university courses. It is difficult, but if you have an interest in it, it's fine. It's a lot to learn and you do have to do quite a lot of equations but as long as you know the basic principles it becomes pretty easy.

Trust me, you don't want to do a subject that doesn't interest you for 1 or 2 years. If it doesn't interest you your less likely to try as hard which will, regardless of what subject, make you do badly.
Thankyou I'm quite good as maths and I am choosing that as an a level, so hopefully If I did chose it I wouldn't find the equations to hard. How much different is is than gcse ? I know there will be a big gap but what topics do you learn ?
L'Evil Fish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bld)
I am going to do maths, philosophy and ethics, then one of the sciences and business but I will drop that after the first year
Chemistry definitely

Can think about what we really know!
k4l397
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bld)
Thankyou I'm quite good as maths and I am choosing that as an a level, so hopefully If I did chose it I wouldn't find the equations to hard. How much different is is than gcse ? I know there will be a big gap but what topics do you learn ?
I'm doing OCR so it might be a bit different. But at AS you start by learning basics, it focuses a lot more on things at an atomic level. The first unit on OCR (I imagine AQA might be similar) basically went on about shapes of molecules, calculations such as moles, molarity, empirical formula, ect., shapes of molecules, van der waal (intermolecular) forces, ionic bonding, covalent bonding. Could go on forever :P

The second unit for OCR is basically Hydrocarbons, it's mostly organic (so carbon based) molecules. This kind of builds on GCSE with some things like polymers, fractional distillation (which is actually basically the same), Hydrogenation and Hydration. You learn a lot more about how the reactions actually occur (by learning mechanisms which show the movement of electrons). There is a bit on quantitative analysis which is basically things like % yield, atom economy and mass/infra-red spectrometry (which is used to identify compounds). After that there is a topic on energy and resources but I haven't done them yet.

Like I said that's for OCR but I do imagine AQA would be similar.
MovesLikeAgger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally would go for Chemistry because it's my favourite subject. Biology is easier though but the content is quite boring sometimes. If you're good at maths, Chemistry. If you want a lazy option, Biology. I'm doing Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Biology though I plan on dropping Biology after AS.
RHCPfan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chemistry!
Tennumbers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I enjoyed Chemistry a lot more and found it a lot lot easier than Biology..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads