The Student Room Group

Eligible for finance?

I had applied for student finance for the period of 2011 and 2012. However, I never received any loans due to having difficulty with evidence. While at university I had mental health problems in 2011 and could not complete the first semester. After attempting to repeat the same semester in 2012 my mental health illness recurred.

I was advised by the university that I needed a letter from my Doctor to continue my university course. My Doctor would only give me a letter after I had completed a NHS therapy course. The therapy dates where forwarded due to being booked up. I explained to the university that I could not return in September due to this. They decided that it would be advisable to withdraw from the course. I withdrew from the course but never informed Student Finance.

I decided to apply for university again at a different university but the same degree. I have been accepted. I explained to a customer service representive in the changes to your application department. They said I can do a new application but I needed to provide medical evidence. Explaining that I could not complete the previous university course due to mental health problems. They said to send a Doctors letter explaining this and other evidence supporting this.

My question therefore is this information by your colleague still valid and what other evidence would help my application? Please explain in detail what the Doctors letter should entail.

Thank You.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Please at least answer my question even if it is non commital.:confused:
Reply 2
Original post by mrkeysersoze
Please at least answer my question even if it is non commital.:confused:

So does this mean I have wasted ÂŁ11 on a medical letter from the Doctor.:rolleyes:
Hi Keysersoze,

no you have not wasted money on the doctors letter, this is exactly the type of evidence we would normally request, confirmation that you had to leave your course due to ongoing medical conditions.

If you send your evidence to our assessors we can take this into consideration when assessing your future funding and this would serve to remove that year of study as a year of previous study.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest