The Student Room Group

Bursary / Finance / Student Loan, I don't know if I am eligible!?

Hey, so basically nether of my parents work however i live with my mum and her partner and my half brother and sister (2 yrs old and 4 months old). My mums partner I think earns over the maximum amount to be eligible for me to apply for a bursary as it is done by household income.
However I will not be supported from my mums partner at all. My mum can't support me and nether my dad.

Starting in september I will be doing an Art and Design foundation diploma at DeMonfort university, and you do not get a student loan for this. However I will defiantly need some kind of income as the course requires list of equipment, study trips etc.

I will be working as much as I can at weekends however the course is 9-5 every week day.

I am also hoping to do a degree afterwards however I will not be able to afford accommodation/halls unless this is included in the student loan.

I have no idea what to do, Im stressing that I won't be able to afford anything.
Reply 1
Original post by mushroomfox7
Hey, so basically nether of my parents work however i live with my mum and her partner and my half brother and sister (2 yrs old and 4 months old). My mums partner I think earns over the maximum amount to be eligible for me to apply for a bursary as it is done by household income.
However I will not be supported from my mums partner at all. My mum can't support me and nether my dad.

Starting in september I will be doing an Art and Design foundation diploma at DeMonfort university, and you do not get a student loan for this. However I will defiantly need some kind of income as the course requires list of equipment, study trips etc.

I will be working as much as I can at weekends however the course is 9-5 every week day.

I am also hoping to do a degree afterwards however I will not be able to afford accommodation/halls unless this is included in the student loan.

I have no idea what to do, Im stressing that I won't be able to afford anything.

Does the foundation diploma lend onto a degree i.e. you pass your diploma and then start your degree straight after? Or is your diploma a stand alone qualification?
Reply 2
Original post by jay2013
Does the foundation diploma lend onto a degree i.e. you pass your diploma and then start your degree straight after? Or is your diploma a stand alone qualification?

It is a stand alone qualification as in you do not have to go to uni after, but I am doing it for more experience before I go to uni as a kind of bridging course, but i don't know if i will defiantly stay at the same uni to do my degree it depends on what i like more in the foundation diploma :smile:
Reply 3
It is a stand alone qualification as in you do not have to go to uni after, but I am doing it for more experience before I go to uni as a kind of bridging course, but i don't know if i will defiantly stay at the same uni to do my degree it depends on what i like more in the foundation diploma :smile:

Are you sure you can't get a student loan? If you are then one option is to look at applying for a Career Development Loan from either Barclays or the Co-operative Bank. It's a commercial loan so you have to start repaying after you finish your diploma course. However, I don't know whether or not your diploma course is eligible for the loan so you will have to find out. If your course is eligible then you could get the maximum £10,000. As the loan is commercial as well, it's only really a last option after you've exhausted all other avenues for financial support.

You said in your original post that you'll be working as much as you can on weekends. Do you mean having a paid job? If so, then you might consider this: apply and hopefully get a Career Development Loan for as much as you can (say the max £10,000) and use this money to pay for living costs and course related costs, work at the weekends and save as much money as you can, and then if you go to university afterwards for your degree you can use the money earned through your work to make the loan repayments. Basically, if you go on to do your degree (which will be financed through student loans), then you'll have the Career Development Loan to pay off while doing your degree.

If the Career Development Loan doesn't sound to attractive for you, then do you have other relatives who might be able to help?

But first find out if you can get student loans by contacting student finance because if you can, then ignore my advice above! lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jay2013
Are you sure you can't get a student loan? If you are then one option is to look at applying for a Career Development Loan from either Barclays or the Co-operative Bank. It's a commercial loan so you have to start repaying after you finish your diploma course. However, I don't know whether or not your diploma course is eligible for the loan so you will have to find out. If your course is eligible then you could get the maximum £10,000. As the loan is commercial as well, it's only really a last option after you've exhausted all other avenues for financial support.

You said in your original post that you'll be working as much as you can on weekends. Do you mean having a paid job? If so, then you might consider this: apply and hopefully get a Career Development Loan for as much as you can (say the max £10,000) and use this money to pay for living costs and course related costs, work at the weekends and save as much money as you can, and then if you go to university afterwards for your degree you can use the money earned through your work to make the loan repayments. Basically, if you go on to do your degree (which will be financed through student loans), then you'll have the Career Development Loan to pay off while doing your degree.

If the Career Development Loan doesn't sound to attractive for you, then do you have other relatives who might be able to help?

But first find out if you can get student loans by contacting student finance because if you can, then ignore my advice above! lol

Thank you! I defiantly know i can't get a student loan they said it about 10 times when i went for the talks about the course, the summary and all of that. So I will defiantly look into a career development loan :smile:
What a nightmare! haha but again thanks :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thank you! I defiantly know i can't get a student loan they said it about 10 times when i went for the talks about the course, the summary and all of that. So I will defiantly look into a career development loan :smile:
What a nightmare! haha but again thanks :biggrin:

Your unlikely to be able to get a career development loan as you have to be doing a course which leads to employment after, and you need to be able to pay it back in full pretty much straight after anyway.

Unfortunately your Mums partners income will be taken into account when assessing your eligibility for any financial support on the foundation course and when applying for student finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending