The Student Room Group

Have you ever felt deeply uncomfortable around a person but can't identify why? :S

There's a person in my friendship group who is like this. On the surface they are extremely charming and vivacious to many who know them but I've always felt deeply uncomfortable around them for one reason or another. I've tried to rationalize their behaviour many times but I can no longer deny that the person completely puts me on edge and I don't want to be around them any more.

What's odd is that when I met them initially I instantly had an extremely visceral reaction of dislike towards them which is a very rare occurence for me, and although after getting to know said person for a bit and thus initially thinking that my first impressions were wrong, as time goes on I get the feeling that something is not quite right. I don't think this is a question of jealousy on my behalf before anyone mentions because I have genuinely tried to look past my initial feelings only to return to similar conclusions and it would be foolish to keep dismissing these feelings.

A bit about said person:

Spoiler

All these things are so subtle that it's difficult to put into words or actually pinpoint the negative feelings.

What do you think?

PS we're both girls
I'm not trying to pretend to be a psychiatrist, but I think said person is either a sociopath/socially retarded/highly insecure or perhaps even egocentric?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not trying to pretend to be a psychiatrist, but I think said person is either a sociopath/socially retarded/highly insecure or perhaps even egocentric?

Surprisingly enough I came to the same conclusion as the bits in bold. What made you think those?

Said person is definitely not socially retarded as they are in fact very charming and can be quite flirty too.
Reply 3
Bump
I didn't read through it fully but I definitely feel extremely uncomfortable around some people. Even when I meet a new person, I can figure out straight away if I'll like them or not. I guess I'm just sensitive to people's personalities or something but it's to the point that if I really don't like someone, they make me feel really creeped out and uncomfortable around them, even before I talk to them.

For example, the deputy-head at my school really bothers me. He's attractive, charismatic, smart, well-presented, well-spoken and good at his job but the very first time I met him, I felt weird and on edge. I just feel like he's got a false personality he puts forwards and I didn't like him from the start. I thought I was just being irrational until he got creepy with the older girls at school and had an affair with a married teacher during school hours in a classroom. Somehow this guy still has his job but I still don't like him at all.

I've also met a couple other people that put me on edge like this but I just avoid ever meeting or interacting with them again.

Some people can subconsciously pick up on small actions a person makes and learn a lot about them from that [some think it's a 6th sense but just think less extreme than Sherlock style observations] We all do it to some extent just that some people are more sensitive to it, maybe it's that?
Also, have you ever seen a dog meet a new person they didn't like? Dogs can definitely pick up on something we can't because I've seen dogs freak out and get really defensive around complete strangers they'd decided they didn't like. Maybe it's actually an instinct we've lost through evolution or something? Idk though, I'm no expert :P
There are people that I don't feel comfortable around therefore I put my guard up. I don't know it's like I get these bad vibes from them or something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'd be wary of her too, from the description you gave.

Personally, I'm repulsed by false/put-on charm. Those people who are overly polite without being kind, are more offended by swearing than necessary, and make small talk without really listening to your answers. Strangely, my sister always picks boyfriends with the above traits, because she mistakes them for "gentlemen", and seems genuinely shocked when they aren't the caring softie she mistook them for.

Another pet-hate is people who bitch about others shortly after meeting you. If they can bitch to a near-stranger about someone else, they can sure as heck bitch about you, too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by flyyoufools
I didn't read through it fully but I definitely feel extremely uncomfortable around some people. Even when I meet a new person, I can figure out straight away if I'll like them or not. I guess I'm just sensitive to people's personalities or something but it's to the point that if I really don't like someone, they make me feel really creeped out and uncomfortable around them, even before I talk to them.

For example, the deputy-head at my school really bothers me. He's attractive, charismatic, smart, well-presented, well-spoken and good at his job but the very first time I met him, I felt weird and on edge. I just feel like he's got a false personality he puts forwards and I didn't like him from the start. I thought I was just being irrational until he got creepy with the older girls at school and had an affair with a married teacher during school hours in a classroom. Somehow this guy still has his job but I still don't like him at all.

I've also met a couple other people that put me on edge like this but I just avoid ever meeting or interacting with them again.

Some people can subconsciously pick up on small actions a person makes and learn a lot about them from that [some think it's a 6th sense but just think less extreme than Sherlock style observations] We all do it to some extent just that some people are more sensitive to it, maybe it's that?

Yep the last paragraph hits the nail on the head. Something to do with uncontrollable microexpressions where the person reveals their real feelings for a split second before they put on an emotion for public consumption. Its like her actions and microexpressions dont match her words/charm so the incongruity between the two puts me on edge and there seem to be many inconsistencies in her stories :s-smilie:

Also she doesn't seem to react to situations in ways you'd expect an average person to react which I find really odd, and often the expression in her eyes often seems blank/empty/expressionless though these are veeery subtle things to pick up on. Very odd considering so many other people seem to love her.

Also you don't want to start trusting a person who initially set warning bells off in your head only to have them screw you over massively.

Original post by flyyoufools
Also, have you ever seen a dog meet a new person they didn't like? Dogs can definitely pick up on something we can't because I've seen dogs freak out and get really defensive around complete strangers they'd decided they didn't like. Maybe it's actually an instinct we've lost through evolution or something? Idk though, I'm no expert :P

Spot on. We might be verging on claims not completely verified but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I felt really defensive when I first met her and it was a pretty strong feeling. I reckon we ought to trust these sort of instincts more - after all they developed for a reason right?
Reply 9
Original post by Aivicore
I'd be wary of her too, from the description you gave.

Personally, I'm repulsed by false/put-on charm. Those people who are overly polite without being kind, are more offended by swearing than necessary, and make small talk without really listening to your answers. Strangely, my sister always picks boyfriends with the above traits, because she mistakes them for "gentlemen", and seems genuinely shocked when they aren't the caring softie she mistook them for.

Another pet-hate is people who bitch about others shortly after meeting you. If they can bitch to a near-stranger about someone else, they can sure as heck bitch about you, too.

It's odd because she can be very sweet almost sickly-sweet at times but none of it ever feels genuine as its always undermined buy other subtle negative 'vibes'. I always come away feeling down when I have spoken to her or sought advice and just in general dread having speaking to her for long periods of time :s-smilie:

It's odd how people seem to really like said person. Do you think there's a reason why a lot of people seem to be won over by their persona so easily, whilst others like you and I and the people on this thread are more wary?
Reply 10
It's odd because she can be very sweet almost sickly-sweet at times but none of it ever feels genuine as its always undermined buy other subtle negative 'vibes'. I always come away feeling down when I have spoken to her or sought advice and just in general dread having speaking to her for long periods of time :s-smilie:

It's odd how people seem to really like said person. Do you think there's a reason why a lot of people seem to be won over by their persona so easily, whilst others like you and I and the people on this thread are more wary?

there's a reason she's superficially charming, et c. it's because it works with people. most people anyway.

i know exactly the kind of reaction you're experiencing. sometimes, in fact often, i end up retracting my initial 'gut' feelings for a spell before reverting back to them and realising i was right. there seems to be a pattern of response (at least pour moi): initial aversion followed by a questioning phase where you feel you might've judged prematurely, which is then followed by a confirmatory phase, feeling that you might have been right after all.

No, you're not. And it's really inappropriate to bandy terms like that around. I really don't mean this in a mean way but it's completely out of line to try and diagnose possibly one of the most complicated and severe psychological issues from hearsay. It belittles both the term itself and the severity of issue.

Spoiler

To be honest, it sounds like you just don't click with her. The main thing it sounds like is that you don't understand them. I'm not sure if you've ever sat down and maybe listened to some of their life or problems, but if you do you might be able to fathom their identity a bit. It sounds mainly like she puts you on edge because you have no way of anticipating how she's going to act.
Yup

a few people i feel that way about.
You didn't give much information but what you did say really reminded me of someone I knew. The fact that you emphasized the person's apparent charm and the numerous small things (that you can't really identify and alone wouldn't be anything) which tell you something's not adding up really resonates with me.

Spoiler

If these traits ring a bell you may want to have a look at this site:
http://bullyonline.org/workbully/serial_character.htm

It is work-orientated but some of it may be relevant to your situation.
Yep the last paragraph hits the nail on the head. Something to do with uncontrollable microexpressions where the person reveals their real feelings for a split second before they put on an emotion for public consumption. Its like her actions and microexpressions dont match her words/charm so the incongruity between the two puts me on edge and there seem to be many inconsistencies in her stories :s-smilie:

Also she doesn't seem to react to situations in ways you'd expect an average person to react which I find really odd, and often the expression in her eyes often seems blank/empty/expressionless though these are veeery subtle things to pick up on. Very odd considering so many other people seem to love her.

Also you don't want to start trusting a person who initially set warning bells off in your head only to have them screw you over massively.

Spot on. We might be verging on claims not completely verified but I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I felt really defensive when I first met her and it was a pretty strong feeling. I reckon we ought to trust these sort of instincts more - after all they developed for a reason right?

True, found this video which is pretty interesting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending