The Student Room Group

Geology A-Level?

I am in year 11 and i have picked Geology A/S level, i was just wondering if you enjoy the course and what is it like?
Reply 1
Original post by Marcusroye98
I am in year 11 and i have picked Geology A/S level, i was just wondering if you enjoy the course and what is it like?

Hello, yes I picked geology as an A level when I started college in 2012. I do OCR but there is another board that do geology. Honestly it's been the most interesting A level that I study and I would highly recommend it :smile: I've learnt about earthquakes, volcanoes, planets (and rocks of course) and it's been so interesting! There is a lot of content to memorise which is the only downside, but if you enjoy physical geography this is definitely the course for you. I enjoyed it so much I applied to do it at university, and got conditional offers from all 5 of my unis (imperial, Edinburgh, Oxford, Durham and Leicester). Even if you aren't wanting to go into geology as a profession (you should since as it is one of the top paid jobs in the world, just look at the oil industry) then the technical and scientific skills you will learn will be looked on as extremely impressive by universities or job employers. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheHutster
Hello, yes I picked geology as an A level when I started college in 2012. I do OCR but there is another board that do geology. Honestly it's been the most interesting A level that I study and I would highly recommend it :smile: I've learnt about earthquakes, volcanoes, planets (and rocks of course) and it's been so interesting! There is a lot of content to memorise which is the only downside, but if you enjoy physical geography this is definitely the course for you. I enjoyed it so much I applied to do it at university, and got conditional offers from all 5 of my unis (imperial, Edinburgh, Oxford, Durham and Leicester). Even if you aren't wanting to go into geology as a profession (you should since as it is one of the top paid jobs in the world, just look at the oil industry) then the technical and scientific skills you will learn will be looked on as extremely impressive by universities or job employers. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks!:biggrin: I picked Geology because I love the physical side of Geography such as volcanoes ! So thanks :biggrin:!
Reply 3
Thanks!:biggrin: I picked Geology because I love the physical side of Geography such as volcanoes ! So thanks :biggrin:!

Then you'll really enjoy it, have fun! :smile:
Reply 4
Then you'll really enjoy it, have fun! :smile:

I was wondering, is it good to take Geography aswell? :smile:
Reply 5
I was wondering, is it good to take Geography aswell? :smile:

personally I didn't since as human geography bores me! I would recommend looking at the syllabus and seeing if you would enjoy the stuff that is on it. Also if you do both you may be limiting your options for university unless you're wanting to do something humanity based or geologically based in which case definitely choose geography!
Reply 6
personally I didn't since as human geography bores me! I would recommend looking at the syllabus and seeing if you would enjoy the stuff that is on it. Also if you do both you may be limiting your options for university unless you're wanting to do something humanity based or geologically based in which case definitely choose geography!

My options are Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography. My career paths are either dentistry, pharmacy or geology :smile:
Reply 7
My options are Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography. My career paths are either dentistry, pharmacy or geology :smile:

Tbh all of those options would fit perfectly together, if you choose geology then biology and chemistry are sometimes required so that would work and for dentistry or pharmacy maybe consider dropping either geography or geology in the second year and picking up AS maths of you consider either of those two career paths, so far everything you've picked sounds great for your degree options so definitely stick with those and use year 12 as the year to decide which career you want to take :smile:
Reply 8
Tbh all of those options would fit perfectly together, if you choose geology then biology and chemistry are sometimes required so that would work and for dentistry or pharmacy maybe consider dropping either geography or geology in the second year and picking up AS maths of you consider either of those two career paths, so far everything you've picked sounds great for your degree options so definitely stick with those and use year 12 as the year to decide which career you want to take :smile:

Reply 9

if you refuse to take maths then you'll need to think of unis that will offer your degree course without it, but yeah I know lots of people who feel the same about maths as you! :smile:
Reply 10
if you refuse to take maths then you'll need to think of unis that will offer your degree course without it, but yeah I know lots of people who feel the same about maths as you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest