The Student Room Group

Japanese and French: Manchester or Leeds? I can't choose!

I have offers from both of them and I just can't choose! I thought I would seek some advice here :P Ok so here's the details:
Leeds have offered me AAB with an A in French and a Pass in JLPT N4 (I passed it already). Manchester just offered me ABB

I initially really preferred Manchester because of the overall feel of the uni, even though I thought the course at Leeds was slightly better (because they take the year abroad in year 2 and it seems more high level with smaller class sizes). It's not like I dislike Leeds, I just really liked Manchester.

I am really keen on the IPML* at Manchester but since I am not taking Japanese as an A level I didn't qualify to apply for it ): BUT, i have spoken to lecturers and they say that if you achieve 60% in year 1 you can request to change to the IPML course. The question is, is this achievable?

Basically, if I were to choose from simply the BA Japanese and French courses I would pick Leeds. If i were to choose from the university feel I think Manchester would win (But i have never lived up north so my impressions are only from open days). If I were to choose between the IPML and the BA I would choose the IPML. But Manchester have offered me lower than Leeds, so it would be weird to put Manchester first.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. HELP

*IPML is Integrated Professional Masters in Languages - the only course in the UK which does this. You spend 4 years studying at manchester, the 4th being a Masters year. (so it's an undergrad masters course) It's an elite course and both languages have to have been studied before. It integrates work experience in with the course and so placements are required while doing the degree. You are required to spend your summers abroad. You can take 0-2 years out depending on what you want. (I would choose to take the two years out, one in Japan and one in France. i would much rather travel as part of my uni course than on my own not knowing what I'm doing). Basically it looks freaking awesome but I'm not sure I would even be able to get onto this course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MelissaParnaby
I have offers from both of them and I just can't choose! I thought I would seek some advice here :P Ok so here's the details:
Leeds have offered me AAB with an A in French and a Pass in JLPT N4 (I passed it already). Manchester just offered me ABB

I initially really preferred Manchester because of the overall feel of the uni, even though I thought the course at Leeds was slightly better (because they take the year abroad in year 2 and it seems more high level with smaller class sizes). It's not like I dislike Leeds, I just really liked Manchester.

I am really keen on the IPML* at Manchester but since I am not taking Japanese as an A level I didn't qualify to apply for it ): BUT, i have spoken to lecturers and they say that if you achieve 60% in year 1 you can request to change to the IPML course. The question is, is this achievable?

Basically, if I were to choose from simply the BA Japanese and French courses I would pick Leeds. If i were to choose from the university feel I think Manchester would win (But i have never lived up north so my impressions are only from open days). If I were to choose between the IPML and the BA I would choose the IPML. But Manchester have offered me lower than Leeds, so it would be weird to put Manchester first.

*IPML is Integrated Professional Masters in Languages - the only course in the UK which does this. You spend 4 years studying at manchester, the 4th being a Masters year. (so it's an undergrad masters course) It's an elite course and both languages have to have been studied before. It integrates work experience in with the course and so placements are required while doing the degree. You are required to spend your summers abroad. You can take 0-2 years out depending on what you want. (I would choose to take the two years out, one in Japan and one in France. i would much rather travel as part of my uni course than on my own not knowing what I'm doing). Basically it looks freaking awesome but I'm not sure I would even be able to get onto this course.

It sounds like manchester is the best bet. Not only did they give you a lower offer, but you seem to really love it. And you might not get onto the IPML course, but you won't know if you don't try. You have a lot more going for Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
x

Sounds like you prefer Manchester. :smile: The IPML sounds really good especially if you're wanting to do that. Also, I think that it's very much so possible to get above 60% in your first year. Without having ever done Japanese, I got 77% in my first year at Edinburgh :wink:

Leeds does sound quite intensive if they're wanting N4 and with the class sizes being small, that's a good thing. Having said that, I hardly doubt that the class sizes at Manchester for Japanese would be that big anyways. Furthermore, going abroad on your 2nd year has its ups and downs. I think that if I were your age or in 1st year now (I'm in 2nd year at the moment), I would have loved to go to Japan in 2nd year but, this year has taught me so much and I'm so glad I'm going abroad next year instead. Having said that, if I had gone abroad in 2nd year, it could be that I would have loved it etc; but, I know for a fact that I was nowhere near the level of actually appreciating the language and understanding a lot of its complicated mechanics. That's my view of course of someone who hasn't been abroad on their 2nd year and is going next year.

Go with what you feel best! Maybe try to find some current/past students of both universities and ask them what they think/thought about the university and the course? Also, maybe look at the courses and see which ones you prefer?
Reply 3

Heya :smile: I'm in my first year studying Business & Japanese at Manchester, and many of my coursemates do French and Japanese (and I happen to be French myself).

The Japanese program at Manchester is pretty awesome I think. I wrote a post about it recently in the Japanese studies 2014 thread if you want to have a better idea of what we do (the workload is pretty intense, some people have dropped out already). I am very pleased with the Japanese studies side of my degree; I've had an interview for a summer internship in Japan and half of it was in Japanese and I got the job, and the interviewer said he didn't expect my Japanese to be so good after only a few months.

As for the French side of the program, I am a language partner for a few of my course mates and I think their level is really good.

Achieving 60% overall is definitely doable. Work hard (and play hard) and you'll do great.

And also, Manchester is awesome. It's a great uni with a great atmosphere in a great city. I'm loving it.

Oh and if you do end up coming to UoM next year, I'll be one of your Peer Mentors for Japanese :wink:

Feel free to ask me any questions. Cheers!
Reply 4

I'm a final year student in Manchester uni, I study Maths and Japanese! (Actually, once upon a time, I originally did French and Japanese then left that course to do this) Anyway, I think it shouldn't be difficult at all to get 60 in your first year. If you've already got N4, I think that's basically first semester and maybe some of second semester sorted. I didn't know it was possible to switch if you got 60%, though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending