Looking for tips before my departure to Maastricht Watch

gdurand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everyone,

So I have been accepted to the school of clinical psychology and neuroscience of Maastricht University for a start in septembre 2014, but I first wish to get more information about what to do (I never set a foot in Europe (I'm canadian) and therefore don't know anything about the place).

I'm mainly looking to know more about where is the best place for an international student to reside, should I book really early or wait for better deals, how is the life community in dorms, etc.

Also, are there any things I should look more into before arriving? Is it easy to buy furnitures if furniture is not included in the rent? Any info is welcome.

Thanks
Johnny-be-good
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gdurand)
Hello everyone,

So I have been accepted to the school of clinical psychology and neuroscience of Maastricht University for a start in septembre 2014, but I first wish to get more information about what to do (I never set a foot in Europe (I'm canadian) and therefore don't know anything about the place).

I'm mainly looking to know more about where is the best place for an international student to reside, should I book really early or wait for better deals, how is the life community in dorms, etc.

Also, are there any things I should look more into before arriving? Is it easy to buy furnitures if furniture is not included in the rent? Any info is welcome.

Thanks
First of all congratulations for your choice This Bachelor or Master program?

To be honest here in the Netherlands housing is the biggest problem so you have to rent a house as soon as possible. I live in Maastricht for 2 years now. The most houses are furnished and all inclusive(Gas-water-electricity-internet). If you have any help let me know!
Dezbean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I've been accepted to start in September as well and I actually went to visit the city on holiday last year--which I highly recommend!

I've already started looking at accommodations, but it appears that finding one bedroom apartment close to campus is very difficult! Johnny, do you have any advice as to when the best time to start making inquiries?
Alexgadgetman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dezbean)
Hi, I've been accepted to start in September as well and I actually went to visit the city on holiday last year--which I highly recommend!

I've already started looking at accommodations, but it appears that finding one bedroom apartment close to campus is very difficult! Johnny, do you have any advice as to when the best time to start making inquiries?
If you want an actual apartment to yourself, well, there are some around, but as a first year you don't have a massive hope of getting one (some places want you to view before accepting or you need a long sub on maastrichthousing to get a good ranking).

Sign up on maastrichthousing would be my first piece of advice. The earlier the better - first year I subbed to a room from the university as it was simple (but they are actually majorly disorganised and a bit overpriced). This year I was able to get a cheaper room, twice the size and 2 min walk from my faculty.... you might get lucky in first year, most people tend to switch after the first year though from bad-> good
Dezbean
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually, I'll be going as a master's student - but might be facing a funding situation, so things are a bit up in the air...

Does the maastrichthousing/viewing stipulation apply to postgrads? If all goes well with financing, it would obviously be great to avoid the massive agent's fee and housemates if at all possible. As difficult as I hear the coursework is, I don't know if I want to be negotiating noise and cleaning during the school year!
MartinVanMaas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gdurand)
Hello everyone,

Thanks
As a fellow North American I can attest to how much of a pain it is to move across the pond without knowing anything.

My advice is to move to Maastricht 1-2 weeks before the start of your programme, giving you ample time to get to know the city and settle into your new apartment. Settling in is really important, as moving can be as stressful as it is exciting. Try your best to rent a place over the internet. Maastrichthousing is an option. There are also other housing agencies. a few agencies I can recommend are:

http://studentflatmaastricht.com/

http://www.mijnhuisenik.com/

http://www.ixxa.nl/

http://julesmaastricht.com/student-services/

The last link to Jules and You is actually a link to an agency that helps with everything from housing to student insurance, to finding a job, to even buying pots and pans for an empty kitchen.

As I said, moving can be stressful. When I moved into my new apartment (which I had rented over the internet without having ever seen it before, besides a few pictures), I found that there was black mold everywhere and place was a mess. So there I was in Maastricht without a place to stay. If you're resourceful enough and lucky, you will find a place within a few days of doing a housing search. If you're uncomfortable with booking over the internet, I highly recommend renting a little house or flat for just a few days through

https://www.airbnb.nl/

This way, you can find a place to stay for relatively cheap for just a few nights while you search for housing. The city is adorably small, and you'll be able to find a place in no time.

In terms of furnished apartment and unfurnished, most furnished places don't have the best furniture and you'll end up replacing the smaller items yourself. The big items, like couches or pianos, will stay. You can expect to pay anything around 500 Euro to furnish a 16 sq meter room, with bed, mattress, couch, shelves, and wardrobe. Use this facebook group to find furniture for sale by students. Students all need furniture, and we also move on a rotating basis. You can find very high quality items in good condition for a fraction of their original prices:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127275693998770/

In terms of expenses, expect to pay around 900 euros a month for being alive and having a place to live comfortably. Partying and spending $ on booze and food is a part of student life. If you're less of a partygoer, or just more frugal in general, you can expect this figure to be substantially lower.

You need no working knowledge of Dutch to live in Maastricht, though it's recommended. This Dutch culture is rich and the people industrious and pretty no-bull****. Extending an effort for their quirky language will only be positive. Maastricht is also the capitol of Limburg, the southernmost Dutch province. The southern culture certainly shines through.

Good luck!
gdurand
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,
Thank you everyone for all these answers.
I will be booking my flight for August 1st. I'm still in the process of deciding if I will be living alone or with housemate.
Would it be possible to get any info on how it goes when you book your appartment / house on the internet?
The last thing I want is to get scammed.
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads