Are you with Putin or the West? Watch

DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Personally, I'm taking Vladimir's side on this one. Ukraine pulling out of Russian interest so forecefully would severely damage trade for the entire world, especially through Rusdia's loss of an essential port.
I think it a ridiculous notion that Ukraine may fight within itself and essentially cause huge damage to Russia, yet Putin cannot defend Russia's interests. I do usually prefer the West to Russia though.
But what do you think?
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Starting to lean a little over to Putins side, I don't like the militaristic attitude though. Having said that it does seem odd that the west so completely back a coup - although i'm sure there'll be someone out there to explain why or whether or not it is actually a coup.
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on ukraine's side; a country like this isn't for two sides of the world to fight over
chocolatesauce
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Much as I think Putin is a nasty piece of work, I'm glad he is there to counter the complete nutters that are running the E.U. and it's client states.
I-I
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i personally coudnt give a rats ass. although i like putins strong attitude and defiance. who does the United States think they are giving orders on every country. they have consistantly been involved in wars for the last 60 years. whether it secretly giving arms or being upfront.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know too much about the geo-cultural history of the region to take a side tbh.
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As much as I'm on anyone's side I'm on the side of "Let's not march troops into a destabilised country to see what happens". Russia has valid concern about its interests in the black sea as does Europe and the west in its potential economic partner. However, anyone who thinks that the way to protect these interests is to march troops in straight away...
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's ridiculous that an extremely nuanced geopolitical situation can be reduced to 'black or white', it's evidently not as simple as that.
Клейтон
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As an (ashamed) Russian (well, born in Russia, moved to England very young) I am very much pro-west as is my family. Putin is trying and failing to make his mark on history.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Certainly not the West's - it doesn't seem to be much concerned about those neo-nazis that have taken over, mhm?
member403966
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Putin. 100%. You just have to open a British newspaper to smell the vicious propaganda. Steer clear lol. His actions are in the best interests of his nation. The protestors are not "peaceful" as continuously suggested by Western media. The media has steered clear of mentioning their true nature. Let's just put this into context. Imagine David Cameron was away on a trip, when a neo nazi and fascist group occupied number 10. They smashed their way into parliament, demanding power. Cameron was then forced to flee to safety in France. The group demanded the population abide by their rules and continuously attempted to recruit wanted terrorists (in Dmitry Yarosh's case: Doku Umarov). What would the UK do? Ask France for help, perhaps? Just as Yanukovych did in his letter addressed to Putin. People don't want to think about any of that here. It's ludicrous. Imagine how the population feel as a whole? Safe? No. Russia cannot and rightly is not bargaining with these nazis. This is not a case of peaceful protest. No matter what they may think of Viktor Yanukovych, Russia cannot allow this situation to continue.

It is obvious Yanukovych won't return to power, Russia knows that, but he is the current democratically elected leader and until the next election, he has a right to remain in his position without fear of execution. The abolition of the law allowing the country’s regions to make Russian a second official language was a clear provocation to ethnic Russians. I opened the Metro on the train to read Putin described as "Vlad the invader". He hasn't invaded anywhere. Extremely mind numbing. One of the first pieces of legislation the nazis passed was the removal of the ban of Nazi symobology and propaganda. It is not in Russia's best interests or the interest of ethnic Russians in Ukraine for this situation to continue as it is.

The West has been encouraging the "protestors" since the end of last year. I'm just amazed how many people take what they hear on the news as the truth. It's like the population has a 60 second memory span. Kerry's 'you don't invade a country on completely phony pretexts' comment should have shown everybody just how desperate the West is to demonise Russia, they've brought their own immense hypocrisy to light. It's laughable. Really reaching for bull**** to spread at this point. Threatening Russia with G8 expulsion is humorous, considering Putin frequently does not attend.

These video give a sense of the reality of the situation:

and: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l03kD5h8EOk
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm with whoever Ukraine prefer.
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No one side.

Crimea should probably leave the Ukrainian state.

Russia is trying to relive old Soviet times when a country doesn't do what it wants.

Nothing else much to say
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely Putin.
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Putin.
username948920
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know enough to even begin to choose a side.
Yi-Ge-Ningderen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Savvy Sage)
I don't know enough to even begin to choose a side.

At least you admit your ignorance on this topic.
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't help but find it pretty funny every time someone tries to present a RT piece as 'objective.'

Consume both Western media and RT to help get a balanced view of things, in cases like this blogs and such from people on the ground should also be looked at. But for crying out loud read news from every source with a healthy level of skepticism, you look ridiculous saying 'Ha! The Western media is so biased! You've got no idea what's going on, but this Russia Today report will show you the real truth!'
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My loyalty is to Queen and country, dont give two ****s about anyone else
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All hail the Tsar!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.86%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.14%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.57%
There's nothing they could do (105)
30%

Watched Threads