The Student Room Group

Where to start with self studying Maths A level?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if I could get some advice from some people on here. I am wanting to try self studying maths A level and possibly further maths if I am able to cope. I am going to study from home as I'm 20 and left 6form two years ago, I didn't study it whilst at 6form as I was never given the opportunity due to living rurally and attending a small school. I achieved an A at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances).

I have ordered the Edexcel books as they seem to get good reviews however due to not having studied maths in almost 4 years I was just wondering what knowledge I would need to have before working my way through the A level syllabus?

Also is there any other resources which may be helpful?

Lastly (for now), how long (roughly) would it take to learn each of C1234, M1 &S1 (bare in mind I work full time)?

Thank You :smile:
Reply 1
If you haven't come across it yet, this website is amazing http://www.examsolutions.net/.
Reply 2
Original post by VK96
If you haven't come across it yet, this website is amazing http://www.examsolutions.net/.

Hi, I have had a look at that, there is a prior knowledge bit which has a bit in it although it seems fairly brief, or is that all I'd need to know?
Reply 3
Www.M4ths.com is also great!:biggrin:

See the videos sections.
(edited 10 years ago)
I find this website really useful for some topics http://www.hegartymaths.com/courses/a-level/edexcel/ It doesn't have everything but everything that it does have is really helpful and well explained.

Just to give you an idea of how much time sixth forms take to teach it, I have 9 hours of lessons over 2 weeks for maths, and another 9 over 2 weeks for further maths. Then on top of this we get given practice homework's. I'm not suggesting it will take anywhere near this amount of time a week although that is only about 2 hours a day for maths and further maths (discounting weekends). You could probably learn C1 quite quickly, it felt like an extension of GCSE to me, S1 is fairly easy too (especially if you did GCSE stats, but if not don't worry it shouldn't make too much difference). Not sure about C2 as my class only recently started it. I've done M1 in further maths though and that is easy provided you get your head around all the models, as long as you get the diagram of the model right you will almost always get the question right.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JordanUK
Hi, I have had a look at that, there is a prior knowledge bit which has a bit in it although it seems fairly brief, or is that all I'd need to know?

The modules you said you want to study are on that website but I'm not sure about the prior knowledge bit. You could go to the GCSE section on the website and do that if you wanted to brush up on things?
Reply 6
Hey, I self taught myself all of Alevel maths and further maths, so I can help you on this. It depends on how good you are at maths basically. If you are really really good and could understand most concept without too much trouble, you should in theory be able to finish one book a day(just learning the concept and stuff, no exercise or practice), also you work full time so you wont have many day off where you can spend a whole day learning it. However, you said you haven't done much maths in over 2 years and I guess you took your GCSE over 4? years ago. So I guess you'll need to have some catching up to do and of course there will be bit and pieces you struggle to understand, since the vast majority of people will take a long time to understand it, some not at all. The bit that spring to mind is calculus. However you don't need to actually understand the concept too much, if you just want to be able to answered the questions so you shouldn't struggle too much. My best guess is that you'll take 2 weeks at least to catch up and familiarize yourself with maths that you've done before and forgotten(assuming that you work full time). Then maybe depending on how clever you are 2-3 weeks per module? This is the module fully learnt, with enough practice and exercise. Also that you do nothing in your spare time but learning this, something not too realistic. I have no idea of your ability at maths. and it vary from person to person. I personally know people that will take a week to learn the full a level, one day per module with exercise. They are however part of the UK IMO team so I guess not everyone could be like that.

So yeah after the wall of words my best guess is that you take 2-3 weeks to get started, with 2-3 weeks per module. If you are some know of genius you could take a lot shorter, or likewise a lot longer.
Reply 7
I was just wondering what knowledge I would need to have before working my way through the A level syllabus?

Search on Amazon for "bridging the gap ...." books there are couple of them for maths and they are good - they will recap your A/A* GCSE maths especially the algebra

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Start-Maths-CGP-Books/dp/1841469939

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Maths-Bridging-Level-Student/dp/0007410239
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by KongShou
Hey, I self taught myself all of Alevel maths and further maths, so I can help you on this. It depends on how good you are at maths basically. If you are really really good and could understand most concept without too much trouble, you should in theory be able to finish one book a day(just learning the concept and stuff, no exercise or practice), also you work full time so you wont have many day off where you can spend a whole day learning it. However, you said you haven't done much maths in over 2 years and I guess you took your GCSE over 4? years ago. So I guess you'll need to have some catching up to do and of course there will be bit and pieces you struggle to understand, since the vast majority of people will take a long time to understand it, some not at all. The bit that spring to mind is calculus. However you don't need to actually understand the concept too much, if you just want to be able to answered the questions so you shouldn't struggle too much. My best guess is that you'll take 2 weeks at least to catch up and familiarize yourself with maths that you've done before and forgotten(assuming that you work full time). Then maybe depending on how clever you are 2-3 weeks per module? This is the module fully learnt, with enough practice and exercise. Also that you do nothing in your spare time but learning this, something not too realistic. I have no idea of your ability at maths. and it vary from person to person. I personally know people that will take a week to learn the full a level, one day per module with exercise. They are however part of the UK IMO team so I guess not everyone could be like that.

So yeah after the wall of words my best guess is that you take 2-3 weeks to get started, with 2-3 weeks per module. If you are some know of genius you could take a lot shorter, or likewise a lot longer.

Hi, thanks for your reply, and that's correct I did my GCSE maths 4 years ago now, but it feels like a life time.Just out of curiosity, what grades did you achieve with self teaching and what books did you use? Did you have any tutor/ teacher support?
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if I could get some advice from some people on here. I am wanting to try self studying maths A level and possibly further maths if I am able to cope. I am going to study from home as I'm 20 and left 6form two years ago, I didn't study it whilst at 6form as I was never given the opportunity due to living rurally and attending a small school. I achieved an A at GCSE (with extenuating circumstances).

I have ordered the Edexcel books as they seem to get good reviews however due to not having studied maths in almost 4 years I was just wondering what knowledge I would need to have before working my way through the A level syllabus?

Also is there any other resources which may be helpful?

Lastly (for now), how long (roughly) would it take to learn each of C1234, M1 &S1 (bare in mind I work full time)?

Thank You :smile:

I have produced a course of 40 lessons covering just about all the core material and a little of Further Maths as well. Here are the first 14 lessons together with answers. If you find them useful and would like the rest of the course let me know.
As for how long? How long is a piece of string?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by brianeverit
I have produced a course of 40 lessons covering just about all the core material and a little of Further Maths as well. Here are the first 14 lessons together with answers. If you find them useful and would like the rest of the course let me know.

Would you be able to send me the whole thing? I'm on C3, nearly C4, and will be doing FPs in preparation for my ChemEng degree in September. Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

These are great! Bravo that man! :smile:
Hi,

I am in a similar position, I am
23, got an A in maths at gcse. I have just started studying it myself at home and booked myself onto the OCR exams in summer at a local sixth form college. I'm still on C1 at the minute so I think there is a lot of catching up to do, so I am putting in as many hours as I can. I also find it useful to go on the bbc bite size gcse revision sites and do the test (higher ones mainly) and that helps me to identify the areas of gcse that I might have forgotten. I do find sometimes I will get stuck on a very basic question simply because I have forgotten a basic rule, but it soon comes back!

Are you looking at taking the exams this year?
Original post by danielcb12
Hi,

I am in a similar position, I am
23, got an A in maths at gcse. I have just started studying it myself at home and booked myself onto the OCR exams in summer at a local sixth form college. I'm still on C1 at the minute so I think there is a lot of catching up to do, so I am putting in as many hours as I can. I also find it useful to go on the bbc bite size gcse revision sites and do the test (higher ones mainly) and that helps me to identify the areas of gcse that I might have forgotten. I do find sometimes I will get stuck on a very basic question simply because I have forgotten a basic rule, but it soon comes back!

Are you looking at taking the exams this year?

You are welcome to use the lessons and answers in my previous posts.
You are welcome to use the lessons and answers in my previous posts.

Very kind of you, thank you very much!
I am too mean to subscribe to it but the Wolfram site looks awesome. You can get worked solutions to any question and a whole mass of resources. About 7 dollars US a month.

Quick Reply

Latest