Theilluminator
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone,

As part of being able to teach one of the core criteria is being fit to teach... has anybody completed any tests with the doctors etc?

Does anybody know what sort of tests they take in order to qualify students as 'Fit to teach'?

It will be useful to know.
freida20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ok probably won't be able to help here but part of the 'fitness checks' taken by Ofsted to ensure you can run a childcare business may be similar so if it is any help I will tell you what my experience is - although bare in mind it may be completely different. In which case I am sure someone will be along to correct me!!

I filled in a questionnaire about my health. They are interested in things that may affect your ability to work with children - so mental health issues; likelihood of dropping down while in charge of a bunch of 2 year olds due to epilepsy, previous blackouts etc; some kind of drug addiction - anything that means you wouldn't be an appropriate person to look after children or fit enough to do so.
In the early years having a bad back might mean you can only care for a certain number of children or children over a certain age because you wouldn't be able to lift them - probably not applicable in primary or secondary!

Once the form is filled out you send it to drs surgery and pay the fee and they check their medical records to check it all tallys and add in any concerns they might have and then send it off.

Is there some information on the DfE website that might give you more relevant information?
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's a simple form, nothing to worry about. I have an ongoing medical condition and nothing was ever said to me after I sent it off to occupational health . My uni don't even know, as far as I'm aware, and only people I've chosen to tell know at school.
Theilluminator
Rep:
?
(Original post by freida20)
ok probably won't be able to help here but part of the 'fitness checks' taken by Ofsted to ensure you can run a childcare business may be similar so if it is any help I will tell you what my experience is - although bare in mind it may be completely different. In which case I am sure someone will be along to correct me!!

I filled in a questionnaire about my health. They are interested in things that may affect your ability to work with children - so mental health issues; likelihood of dropping down while in charge of a bunch of 2 year olds due to epilepsy, previous blackouts etc; some kind of drug addiction - anything that means you wouldn't be an appropriate person to look after children or fit enough to do so.
In the early years having a bad back might mean you can only care for a certain number of children or children over a certain age because you wouldn't be able to lift them - probably not applicable in primary or secondary!

Once the form is filled out you send it to drs surgery and pay the fee and they check their medical records to check it all tallys and add in any concerns they might have and then send it off.

Is there some information on the DfE website that might give you more relevant information?

Thank you, I thought it was thorough medical checks, including eyes, ears, x-ray etc.

(Original post by TraineeLynsey)
It's a simple form, nothing to worry about. I have an ongoing medical condition and nothing was ever said to me after I sent it off to occupational health . My uni don't even know, as far as I'm aware, and only people I've chosen to tell know at school.

Thank you
freida20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Theilluminator)
Thank you, I thought it was thorough medical checks, including eyes, ears, x-ray etc.
No - but they still have the cheek to charge about £30+ for the pleasure, cheeky so and so's!
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We weren't charged anything - I imagine it depends on the situation. Ours were administered through the university.

I've done one previously for a TA job and that didn't cost me anything either.
Theilluminator
Rep:
?
(Original post by freida20)
No - but they still have the cheek to charge about £30+ for the pleasure, cheeky so and so's!
LOL!

I know what you mean!

I mean it's as bad as prescription charges
David Wacks
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Theilluminator)
Hello everyone,

As part of being able to teach one of the core criteria is being fit to teach... has anybody completed any tests with the doctors etc?

Does anybody know what sort of tests they take in order to qualify students as 'Fit to teach'?

It will be useful to know.
What is most important is whether you are fit now and not necessarily a problem you may have had years ago.

A Deputy Headteacher cracked up and called the police for help, saying that otherwise he may commit suicide. They took him to hospital where he was only in a day before being referred for counselling and medication. The police however, put reference to this noncriminal matter on his enhanced criminal records check, which was removed on appeal after evidence provided of his good health now.

A trainee Dr, was involved in minor problems with her mother when younger after a very traumatic incident for both of them. Again, these incidents were deleted from her record and after up-to-date medical evidence was produced she was allowed by her University fitness to practice panel to return to her studies. They did require some conditions such as updates on her health to satisfy them that during a placement she would be no risk but she is now back at her studies.

Good luck for your fuure

David Wacks
kuroshokora
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How exactly do they assess mental health? I'm on SSRIs (antidepressants) currently... is that likely something that could be an issue?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.75%
No (646)
65.25%

Watched Threads