hasan6091
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was wondering what you could do with a physics degree in the engineering/ medical sector. As i have a intrest in all 3 fields.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ever thought about a career in the armed forces? With a science degree, you could also be looking at applying to space agencies in 10 - 15 years if you decided to follow that route.

Just a thought
hasan6091
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
I am intrested in the space induztry
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

In short: pretty much anything. Physics is really employable.
Specifically: Lots of engineering jobs will consider Physicists. However do be aware that they sometimes require someone with an engineering degree because of the range of more practical skills they can bring - ie. computer modelling software, sometimes more practical skills with electronics/ materials. Companies such as BAE in the UK take both graduates of Physicists and Engineers - each have their own skills which are often complimentary.

Medical Physics is an industry which is still growing. In the UK the NHS trains medical physicists to work in 4 main areas Ionising imaging, non ionising imaging, radiotherapy and nuclear medicine. There are also companies that produce the equipment, so there are many avenues to go down.

The space industry is normally quite competitive. However there are options - from researching astrophysics in an academic capacity to producing new satellites and other objects that actually go into space (companies such as ASTRIUM).
hasan6091
Rep:
?
(Original post by pianofluteftw)
Hi,

In short: pretty much anything. Physics is really employable.
Specifically: Lots of engineering jobs will consider Physicists. However do be aware that they sometimes require someone with an engineering degree because of the range of more practical skills they can bring - ie. computer modelling software, sometimes more practical skills with electronics/ materials. Companies such as BAE in the UK take both graduates of Physicists and Engineers - each have their own skills which are often complimentary.

Medical Physics is an industry which is still growing. In the UK the NHS trains medical physicists to work in 4 main areas Ionising imaging, non ionising imaging, radiotherapy and nuclear medicine. There are also companies that produce the equipment, so there are many avenues to go down.

The space industry is normally quite competitive. However there are options - from researching astrophysics in an academic capacity to producing new satellites and other objects that actually go into space (companies such as ASTRIUM).
What do you think of medical physics and would you recommend a degree in engineering or physics. Plus whats the pay like

Posted from TSR Mobile
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hasan6091)
What do you think of medical physics and would you recommend a degree in engineering or physics. Plus whats the pay like

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to go into medical physics, but that is my own preference following extensive research into different options. Choosing your degree or career is up to you, you should look into what different things you might learn in a Physics or engineering degree and pick one that most closely matches your interests.
Liberalists
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Investment Banking
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to be an engineer do a degree in engineering.

In medicine there are some physics-specific jobs, but more as technician than medical staff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads