Is 4 A* at A-Level the "norm" for Cambridge Maths students? Watch

StudiousMedic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
According to the two articles I've listed below, Cambridge maths students have the highest number of UCAS tariff points of any course; with an average 600. Am I right in thinking that that means the "average" A-Level results for Cambridge maths students is 4 A*'s? How does that compare to other courses in the country and, more specifically, other courses at Cambridge? Does it just come down to the fact that, if you're seriously studying for STEP, Maths, Further Maths and Physics are pretty much guaranteed A*'s?

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2300956

2. http://university.which.co.uk/univer...000-g100-13234
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's pretty similar for many STEM courses at Cambridge...

Ummm... yes that is definitely a possibility. However, remember that it is an AVERAGE - pretty much everyone will have 380+ UCAS points since the minimum requirement is A*AA, but since many STEM students take Maths and Further Maths and therefore have the time for an additional subject, it is fairly common to have four A levels. Not essential, but quite common. Also, remember that UCAS points includes things like General Studies, Critical Thinking, Music Exams, etc. which Cambridge don't really look at/ base any offers on, but some applicants may have due to their schools forcing them to take silly subjects like GS or through their extracurricular interests.

To do well at STEP you would definitely need to be at least close to A* standard in Further Maths. And anyone that good at FM would do very well as Maths and Physics. So yes, it is likely that many mathmos have A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and Further Maths. I managed those grades and still would probably fail STEP though, so I guess it does require some actual maths ability beyond being able to memorise standard exam questions and markshemes (which is all A level Maths/ Further Maths really was...).
nghz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the average is indeed 4A*s for Maths students I won't be surprised if it is 5A*s for students studying Medicine
Tarquin Digby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The telegraph are stupid. Only expoly students care about UCAS points. The best thing about the average Cambridge maths student is STEP, not 598 UCAS points.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (53)
30.81%
No (89)