The Student Room Group

My handwriting is actually getting worse I think...

Joined up handwriting, even the g and j's and z's, slanted, sometimes really tiny but generally just smallish.

So... I get many compliments on my neat handwriting, but when it's messy sometimes even I can't read it... I'd say that my handwriting is getting worse maybe- possibly because we're pushed for time in every lesson (the teachers want to get a lot done), and when I'm rushed for time I get nervous, and then ... my writing gets really shakey, because I shake when I'm nervous (embarrassing, I know) ... I'm not all that terrible for the usual class work, but perhaps in the tests I should just write in capitals, not join up or something?

That's what I'm most worried about. In a recent Chemistry test for example, I did get an A*, but my paper was only graded with an A because my teacher decided that he couldn't be bothered to read the really messy parts... So when we were going through it in class I found all of the extra marks that I should have had (4). How about you, if you have messy handwriting, what do you do in tests? What should I do?

Thanks
Practice, practice, practice.

In lessons the notes are for your own benefit so that matters less, but develop a technique that will see you through exams. That is ultimately going to involve writing slower. When you sense your writing is getting worse then slow down. As you've proved, you get nothing for something illegible.
Original post by FatimaHere
Joined up handwriting, even the g and j's and z's, slanted, sometimes really tiny but generally just smallish.

So... I get many compliments on my neat handwriting, but when it's messy sometimes even I can't read it... I'd say that my handwriting is getting worse maybe- possibly because we're pushed for time in every lesson (the teachers want to get a lot done), and when I'm rushed for time I get nervous, and then ... my writing gets really shakey, because I shake when I'm nervous (embarrassing, I know) ... I'm not all that terrible for the usual class work, but perhaps in the tests I should just write in capitals, not join up or something?

That's what I'm most worried about. In a recent Chemistry test for example, I did get an A*, but my paper was only graded with an A because my teacher decided that he couldn't be bothered to read the really messy parts... So when we were going through it in class I found all of the extra marks that I should have had (4). How about you, if you have messy handwriting, what do you do in tests? What should I do?

Thanks

Relearn to write. Take a calligraphy course online.
You can skim certain bits but it's quite possible to change your handwriting style if you have normal mobility in your writing hand.
I've done it a few times.
Original post by keromedic
Relearn to write. Take a calligraphy course online.
You can skim certain bits but it's quite possible to change your handwriting style if you have normal mobility in your writing hand.
I've done it a few times.

This.
Practicing calligraphy with a nib and ink would massively increase one's hand stability, and discipline your writing pattern.
Reply 4
All right then. :'( I actually kind of like my handwriting sometimes, but I'll do as you've all said, because if I get too nervous in the real Exams and begin to write terribly, then the examiner will drop marks from my paper because of the annoying-to-read (apparently) handwriting of mine.

Once again, thanks for replying to this thread! :smile:

Quick Reply