Lloyd98765
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently studying Podiatry at UEL and in my 3rd and final year, I'm 33 now.

Medicine was always my dream but I didn't get the Alevel results I wanted when I was younger.

I decided to do something 'medicine related', and I got in through an access course.

Podiatry is a good course to apply to medicine through graduate entry because I have quite a bit of clinical experience.

I'm just thinking I'm 33 now I might not get in this year so I'll be possibily 34 when starting. So I'll be 37, 38 finishing the 4 year part, juniour doctor at 39,40.....

Medicine was always my dream and it is extremely tempting.

Im married I have a 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter.

Is it really possible to do medicine at my age and is it worth it as I will have my podiatry qualification.

Thanks
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whether it's worth it is up to you and how much you want to do it vs. podiatry, but as for the age I know grads on my course of similar age who also have families and have just started medicine You're never too old, even if you finished at 40 then assuming you don't retire til 65 that's still a good 15 years as a practising doctor.
0sam0
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lloyd98765)
Hi,

I'm currently studying Podiatry at UEL and in my 3rd and final year, I'm 33 now.

Medicine was always my dream but I didn't get the A level results I wanted when I was younger.

I decided to do something 'medicine related', and I got in through an access course.

Podiatry is a good course to apply to medicine through graduate entry because I have quite a bit of clinical experience.

I'm just thinking I'm 33 now I might not get in this year so I'll be possibly 34 when starting. So I'll be 37, 38 finishing the 4 year part, junior doctor at 39,40.....

Medicine was always my dream and it is extremely tempting.

Im married I have a 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter.

Is it really possible to do medicine at my age and is it worth it as I will have my podiatry qualification.

Thanks
I don't think there should ever be an age where you consider yourself to be too old to pursue what you want to do. If you want to study medicine, then study it. If you look at the entry statistics for GEM, then you'll see there are many people older than you that apply and graduate.

Having said that, it is an incredibly intensive course and will leave you with very little free time. Further more, F1 and F2 years are even more intensive and will involve lots of unsociable hours work. You will have to consider this in regards to your family. It is financially demanding as well, its 4 more years without a job, tuition fees etcetera - I'm still trying to figure out where I'll get all the money from if I get in, although you will be entitled to additional bursaries if you have kids I think.

Although Podiatry gives you plenty of clinical experience, I'm not sure it will satisfy the Biology and Chemistry requirements that some universities have. That may limit what universities you can apply too, although there are still plenty that do not require a science degree. You will have to research this.

I think it is worth it if it is what you really want to do and both you and your family are okay with the financial commitment and the demands that will be placed upon you in terms of time and stress, but that's just my opinion Just make sure you know exactly what it entails.
KA125
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely worth it! A friend of mine begin around your age at Kings, if not older. He loves it and is doing very well, even did the 5 year. Just about to qualify now and doesn't regret it at all.
AZ1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was speaking to surgical spr recently who became a CT1 at the age of 51, after changing careers! Your age is fine and won't be a problem in terms of employability.
Lloyd98765
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by seaholme)
You're never too old, even if you finished at 40 then assuming you don't retire til 65 that's still a good 15 years as a practising doctor.
Well by my Math thats 25 years! so even better!
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
68. Retire at 68. It will be 80 if they have their way.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lloyd98765)
Well by my Math thats 25 years! so even better!
Oh god, yes my mental maths is tragic and I know it. Thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (61)
23.11%
No (203)
76.89%

Watched Threads