Why Industrial Revolution happened in Europe rather than in China or India?

Watch
nukey56
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
By the start of the modern period (say, a few centuries ago), the agricultural empires (such s the Caliphate or the areas corresponding to modern-day China or India) had long been exceptionally prosperous, powerful, inventive, well-organised and cultured. So why did th
e Industrial Revolution happen in Europe,rather than in China or India or in any of the other great agricultural empires ?

I have to do a 3000 word essay, for economic perspectives module, can you give your thoughts on this question please?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nukey56)
By the start of the modern period (say, a few centuries ago), the agricultural empires (such s the Caliphate or the areas corresponding to modern-day China or India) had long been exceptionally prosperous, powerful, inventive, well-organised and cultured. So why did th
e Industrial Revolution happen in Europe,rather than in China or India or in any of the other great agricultural empires ?

I have to do a 3000 word essay, for economic perspectives module, can you give your thoughts on this question please?
I would personally consider private property laws, stability and transparency of governance, level of education/invesment (and therefore innovation such as steam engine)
Oce-SH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mike_123)
I would personally consider private property laws, stability and transparency of governance, level of education/investment (and therefore innovation such as steam engine)
yep... also privatisation in Europe, where as China was hugely communist. China and India have always had absolute advantge in agriculture, and there has always been high demand for their cuisine and produce.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (66)
60%
No (22)
20%
Not sure (22)
20%

Watched Threads