The Student Room Group

Protected or unprotected sex?

I mean there's only 1 in a 2000 (500 if you're a woman) chance of getting HIV whilst having sex with a positive person... Less than 100k out of the 60million population is positive.

Do you take your chances? Or do you use protection?

Give a ratio of protected:unprotected, if possible :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
I mean there's only 1 in a 2000 (500 if you're a woman) chance of getting HIV whilst having sex with a positive person... Less than 100k out of the 60million population is positive.

Surely it would depend on the nature of the relationship, how much you know about your partner and where exactly you are putting it.
Reply 2
Unprotected #yolo
Mostly protected ones.

'Chances' are irrelevant here really, you only really need one person, one shot. As long as there is a chance, you can get it. You may just be very unlucky.
Reply 4
this is diagnosed / confirmed

how many have STDs but don't know themselves ?
Protected. I'm not paranoid about diseases, but there's a very real risk of ending up with a kid ... ain't nobody got time for that!
Reply 6
Original post by IanDangerously
Protected. I'm not paranoid about diseases, but there's a very real risk of ending up with a kid ... ain't nobody got time for that!

:lol: I was waiting for someone to say this. Amen to that.
Reply 7
Where did you get these figures from? There are so many people who are not tested and thus carrying the virus.

Also TSR is full of nerds and virgins you won't get any real answers here.
You should always wrap it before u tap it
Reply 9
Original post by Red one
Where did you get these figures from? There are so many people who are not tested and thus carrying the virus.

Also TSR is full of nerds and virgins you won't get any real answers here.

The internet. These include people who don't know they have it (estimates, of course)
The internet. These include people who don't know they have it (estimates, of course)

Oh the internet? Yes, I've heard of it. Any specific location?

The one thing I think about unprotected sex is that anyone who boasts of playing the odds won't be sleeping with me - protected or unprotected. You've only got one life, why risk ruining it when it's so easy to avoid?
HIV is a difficult virus to contract and the risk is very low for a one time unprotected contact with a presumed HIV positive partner but I've seen the estimates vary greatly in those studies, as high as just under 1% for a receptive woman, which is five times more likely. The numbers are unreliable basically.

It also depends on several factors, it's true the risk is smaller if you're the insertive partner for example.

It also doesn't take long for 1% to become 10% and 50% if you do this regularly.

If you're not going to use condoms then be aware of and accept the consequences, there is no need when they are so easily available.
Reply 12
1 in 2000 chance huh? I don't believe it, source please.
Reply 13
Unprotected always if possible.

And it's always possible.
Reply 14
Unprotected, because the likelihood of me ever sleeping with a positive person is incredibly low (enough that I don't see it as a possibility), and I also can't have kids. Plus, condoms feel and smell horrible to me. So yeah.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
I hate condoms but for a fling or a new partner they are a must, once settled though - get on the injection and bang like a barn door in the wind unhindered :wink:
Reply 16
If I have another sexual partner, with protection.

My girlfriend has an implant (Which as far as I know is more reliable than a condom in terms of antibabifabrication) and I've been with her for over 3 years, she's also my second sexual partner and with my first I've always used a condom (Ok so we only had sex once but that's a different story).

I'm comfortable not using protection with my girlfriend but once it nears the end of her implant lifespan I'll start using them more (Don't want any kids just yet)
Original post by Wilfred Little
HIV is a difficult virus to contract and the risk is very low for a one time unprotected contact with a presumed HIV positive partner but I've seen the estimates vary greatly in those studies, as high as just under 1% for a receptive woman, which is five times more likely. The numbers are unreliable basically.

It also depends on several factors, it's true the risk is smaller if you're the insertive partner for example.

It also doesn't take long for 1% to become 10% and 50% if you do this regularly.

If you're not going to use condoms then be aware of and accept the consequences, there is no need when they are so easily available.

It's definitely not as high as people have it out to be, but any chance is a chance.
Original post by lindopski
I hate condoms but for a fling or a new partner they are a must, once settled though - get on the injection and bang like a barn door in the wind unhindered :wink:

Your partner can cheat ever if you're loyal.

Definitely protected if it's a new partner that hasn't been tested.

What about all the other STDs?

IMO we should all be doing our bit to practice safe sex, getting tested regularly - not taking risks like this based on the "odds".

Quick Reply

Latest