Pros & cons of using psychology students in psychological research?

Watch
fifitrixiebell
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
As the title suggests, can anyone think of pros and cons for using psychology students in psychological research?
My mind has completely blanked & I'm in need of some for an essay I'm doing!

Thanks a lot :-)
kingdoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fifitrixiebell)
As the title suggests, can anyone think of pros and cons for using psychology students in psychological research?
My mind has completely blanked & I'm in need of some for an essay I'm doing!

Thanks a lot :-)
There are definitely more cons then strengths, I would suspect that they will be more likely to work out the aim/aims of your experiments as they respond through their demand characteristics. Possibly there will be less ethical issues although I doubt yours was very unethical. They are students therefore the results are not going to be very valid for the entire population nor is it representative of other age groups/ethnic groups. I suppose you used them because they were there at the time so you used opportunity sampling which is the least representative sampling methods. These are just a few u could mention
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The massive pro which outweighs all the cons is they provide an army of conscripted volunteers.
fifitrixiebell
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by kingdoo)
There are definitely more cons then strengths, I would suspect that they will be more likely to work out the aim/aims of your experiments as they respond through their demand characteristics. Possibly there will be less ethical issues although I doubt yours was very unethical. They are students therefore the results are not going to be very valid for the entire population nor is it representative of other age groups/ethnic groups. I suppose you used them because they were there at the time so you used opportunity sampling which is the least representative sampling methods. These are just a few u could mention
Thank you very much! I didnt actually conduct a study myself, I'm just critiquing an article as part of the work I've been set. It's a slow process haha, but thanks again for your help :-)
username1332537
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Con:They could figure out what you are actually measuring.
Pro:easy to get hold of (opportunity sample )
aibekhsi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Major con: Low population validity - sample not representative or wider population - difficult to generalise - Usefulness?
Major con: Research could be subject to demand characteristics which is an extraneous variable that is not controlled for - This causes lower validity...

Pro: The researcher can take advantage of an opportunity sample, which is quick and efficient - could take about reliability
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.32%
No - I have already returned home (52)
13.03%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
20.05%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (115)
28.82%

Watched Threads