Good highers when applying for Psychology at uni?

Watch this thread
stephaniebtw
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am doing my subject choices for S6.

I want to study Psychology at university after I finish and I am conflicted over what subjects to study.

This year I am studying Higher Maths, Higher English, Higher Computing, Higher Modern Studies and Higher Art and Design (over two years).

Next year I planned to take Higher Art and Design, Higher RMPS and Higher History.

What it be better for me to also then take Higher Chemistry or Higher Biology? I would have to try and be able to crash Biology as I did not take it at Standard Grade, whereas I have Standard Grade Chemistry.

So basically, when applying for Psychology would it look better to have Higher Chemistry or Higher Biology? I know neither are specifically required at most universities, but it can have an influence.
scotland101
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
You can literally do any subjects that you want, universities don't generally care. So don't do anything you think might be too much of a challenge because at the end of the day its the grades that matter to them not the subjects

I imagine though for something like psychology they'd like to see evidence of written ability i.e english, social subjects etc. and if you're looking at studying the Bsc Psychology then maybe something like biology would be good.
sophielaur
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Social subjects like modern studies/history are your best bet as they're essay based. Also does your school offer higher psychology? because that would be an obvious choice haha. It really depends on which area of psychology you want to go into because some uni courses for psychology say they need you to have a science (and it would probably be a good idea to take one as elements of the course are closely related to biology- i'd say out of all the sciences biology is the most relevant) Personally i'm currently studying higher psychology and quite a few of the areas relate to biology so that would give you a head start at university. If your REALLY not a science person then i wouldnt take it though as your better off getting a good grade in a subject your good at (i know from my own experience) i have a friend who's applied to study psychology and she didnt take any sciences so it really depends on each course individually. Definitely go and look at each course's requirements though otherwise you might close some doors if you dont do certain subjects. Hope this helps x
stephaniebtw
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thank you so much! Most of the universities I've looked at aren't wanting any specific subjects but I'm going to crash Higher Biology next year, and I'm taking Higher Modern Studies this year and Advanced Higher Modern Studies next year. My school don't do Higher Psychology which is really disappointing because I think it would help so much :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (144)
29.15%
It went fairly well (234)
47.37%
It didn't go too well (74)
14.98%
TERRIBLE! (42)
8.5%

Watched Threads