The Student Room Group

Should I self teach AS geography (Edexcel)

There are many things i wanted to get off my chest ;

People in my class pick and choose what lessons for geography they attend and this means that often my teachers go on a hunt for the rest of my class , in most instances to do date this is because they haven't done the work needed for that lesson or they choose to do work for another lesson because they have fallen behind. so stuff isn't taught and any questions that I have go unanswered. In addition when they choose to attend class both teachers have to back track on the content , this in turn means that content is rushed and being behind on unit 2.

Becuase I have a actual passion for the subject and really wants to study it at university I attend nearly all the lessons and I have to give the notes to people who claim to be ill but really just spend their time in the common room dossing about and buying coffee and because they are to lazy to get out of bed.

And then today we are still on unit 1 , I was the only person who tuned in their work of which has to be presented to the rest of the class via PowerPoint so I have to do the work of someone who wasn't in and whist I have said i will , under the condition that the person who should of done isn't allowed to claim credit for any of the work. Then my physical geography teacher has a go at the class and centres it on me.

Somehow I scrapped an A in the January mocks , the highest in the class with the second highest grades being grade d's. I got summoned by the head of geography my human geography teacher it was a bit like police interview. I just said that I do what is expected of me and then some , that shut her up :wink:

What should I do and am I at all being at all unreasonable ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Luketreherne
There are many things i wanted to get off my chest ;

People in my class pick and choose what lessons for geography they attend and this means that often my teachers go on a hunt for the rest of my class , in most instances to do date this is because they haven't done the work needed for that lesson or they choose to do work for another lesson because they have fallen behind. so stuff isn't taught and any questions that I have go unanswered. In addition when they choose to attend class both teachers have to back track on the content , this in turn means that content is rushed and being behind on unit 2.

Becuase I have a actual passion for the subject and really wants to study it at university I attend nearly all the lessons and I have to give the notes to people who claim to be ill but really just spend their time in the common room dossing about and buying coffee and because they are to lazy to get out of bed.

And then today we are still on unit 1 , I was the only person who tuned in their work of which has to be presented to the rest of the class via PowerPoint so I have to do the work of someone who wasn't in and whist I have said i will , under the condition that the person who should of done isn't allowed to claim credit for any of the work. Then my physical geography teacher has a go at the class and centres it on me.

Somehow I scrapped an A in the January mocks , the highest in the class with the second highest grades being grade d's. I got summoned by the head of geography my human geography teacher it was a bit like police interview. I just said that I do what is expected of me and then some , that shut her up :wink:

What should I do and am I at all being at all unreasonable ?

I am self teaching AQA geography, I also have a passion for it, physical more than human, which I think helps massively! I love doing it and find it hard to put the books down sometimes.

Does seem very unfair that your learning should suffer at the laziness of others!! But on the other hand, as someone who has left school 5 years ago and is having to pay for all my materials, exams etc, I would advise you to take advantage of free tuition and materials as much as you can.

If it is unbearable in class though then self teaching isn't too bad if you have the motivation and enthusiasm!

Have you been on your field trip yet? That's something you miss when self teaching.
Reply 2
Original post by danielcb12
I am self teaching AQA geography, I also have a passion for it, physical more than human, which I think helps massively! I love doing it and find it hard to put the books down sometimes.

Does seem very unfair that your learning should suffer at the laziness of others!! But on the other hand, as someone who has left school 5 years ago and is having to pay for all my materials, exams etc, I would advise you to take advantage of free tuition and materials as much as you can.

If it is unbearable in class though then self teaching isn't too bad if you have the motivation and enthusiasm!

Have you been on your field trip yet? That's something you miss when self teaching.

Yeah I have been on the trip I am actually retaking the subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending