The Student Room Group

Is it weird to want to be a girl?

Ok, so I don't feel like I am a woman. I'm male and identify as such.
But it's been bugging me that I keep thinking about being a girl, and I know I would prefer it to being a boy.

When I'm with my female friends I feel so much more myself. I am fairly girly, I suppose. I am content with being male, but I do think to myself that I'd prefer to be a girl.

Is it weird to think this?

btw I'm gay

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Next.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
But it's been bugging me that I keep thinking about being a girl, and I know I would prefer it to being a boy.

When I'm with my female friends I feel so much more myself. I am fairly girly, I suppose. I am content with being male, but I do think to myself that I'd prefer to be a girl.

btw I'm gay

I'd say it's unsual but plenty of people have the same trail of thought. Perhaps you just find something about the way women work that is quite appealing and it doesn't occur amongst the male gender ?

I often think I'd prefer being gay to being straight. Not sure if that's a similar principle.
Reply 3
I don't think it's wierd.

I'm totally straight, but I wouldn't have minded being born as a man.

btw I'm gay

I don't think it's weird dude, people come in all kinds of different ways and as long as you're happy, everything is cool. You might encounter some narrow minded people if you're completely open about it, but it's their problem more than yours. Don't stress about it and be happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Xyloid
I'd say it's unsual but plenty of people have the same trail of thought. Perhaps you just find something about the way women work that is quite appealing and it doesn't occur amongst the male gender ?

I often think I'd prefer being gay to being straight. Not sure if that's a similar principle.

I don't know exactly what it is. I like girly stuff, and when it comes to relationships I'd definitely like to be a girl.

As for the comparison - I dunno, I guess it's similar. I think being gay is better than being straight, as you and the person you're with can understand each other better, you know how each others' bodies work much better than a hetero couple would; and sex is much easier to get when you're gay. :tongue:

But yeah... I think a lot of it is down to me being a very unmasculine guy, quite submissive in the sense that I want a guy to protect me etc. Maybe I think I'm just better suited to being female. I dunno.

Original post by AliJDB
I don't think it's weird dude, people come in all kinds of different ways and as long as you're happy, everything is cool. You might encounter some narrow minded people if you're completely open about it, but it's their problem more than yours. Don't stress about it and be happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've mentioned it to my best friend a couple of times and he was fine with it, though a bit confused at first, at how I could prefer to be female. (Though I haven't told him it's that I want to be female, just that I would prefer to be female)

It's widely agreed by lots of my friends, both male and female, that I'm more girly than most of my girl friends. So I don't imagine they'd be surprised if they knew I thought like this, and would be fine with it.

I dunno why I'm seeing it as a big deal. I was worried I'd get responses saying I'm some sort of freak.
Reply 6
I dunno why I'm seeing it as a big deal. I was worried I'd get responses saying I'm some sort of freak.

You are by no means a freak. At all.

Although it's not a majority viewpoint, it's still completely normal to want to be the opposite gender while still identifying with your biological gender.

I've mentioned it to my best friend a couple of times and he was fine with it, though a bit confused at first, at how I could prefer to be female. (Though I haven't told him it's that I want to be female, just that I would prefer to be female)

It's widely agreed by lots of my friends, both male and female, that I'm more girly than most of my girl friends. So I don't imagine they'd be surprised if they knew I thought like this, and would be fine with it.

It's great that your best friend is open and accepting about the issue, and it's great that you've been able to open up and share your thoughts.

There is a wide spectrum of gender-identification. Your biological sex is male, your gender identity can fall anywhere from the manliest man who likes monster trucks and rugby, to someone who identifies as a man but enjoys less masculine activities, to a bio-sex male who identifies as a female (or wishes to re-assign their gender to female). People fall at all these stages and in between them and none of it is weird, it's just who they are.

I'm guessing you're a teenager, or a fairly young person at least, and your gender awareness will be stepping up from where it once was and you'll be discovering your own gender identity. It's also not always static, sometimes people go through a period where they feel feminine or identify as a female, and as they develop they identify more as a male. Sometimes people identify more as a female and they realise "I want to be a woman" or "I'm just a feminine guy and I'm okay with that" or "I've neglected my masculine side and I'm going to go and ride some dirt bikes!" and any or all of these conclusions are okay, ultimately it's your life and it's up to you how you choose to live it.

The only implication is the narrow mindedness you can sometimes encounter from people who don't understand the way you are. Speaking of...

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Yes. Next.

Are you really part of the "Welcome Squad" with an attitude like that? Seriously? Bravo...
Yes

you were born with a penis

you will always be a man...
Reply 9
It's not normal but it doesn't mean you're a freak. There are lots of people who would rather be the opposite gender.
Reply 10
Original post by AliJDB
It's great that your best friend is open and accepting about the issue, and it's great that you've been able to open up and share your thoughts.

There is a wide spectrum of gender-identification. Your biological sex is male, your gender identity can fall anywhere from the manliest man who likes monster trucks and rugby, to someone who identifies as a man but enjoys less masculine activities, to a bio-sex male who identifies as a female (or wishes to re-assign their gender to female). People fall at all these stages and in between them and none of it is weird, it's just who they are.

I'm guessing you're a teenager, or a fairly young person at least, and your gender awareness will be stepping up from where it once was and you'll be discovering your own gender identity. It's also not always static, sometimes people go through a period where they feel feminine or identify as a female, and as they develop they identify more as a male. Sometimes people identify more as a female and they realise "I want to be a woman" or "I'm just a feminine guy and I'm okay with that" or "I've neglected my masculine side and I'm going to go and ride some dirt bikes!" and any or all of these conclusions are okay, ultimately it's your life and it's up to you how you choose to live it.

The only implication is the narrow mindedness you can sometimes encounter from people who don't understand the way you are. Speaking of...

Are you really part of the "Welcome Squad" with an attitude like that? Seriously? Bravo...

Thanks, you've given me some food for thought.

I guess I'm more confused than anything. I don't think I'm transgender, because I don't feel that I *am* a girl, but something doesn't quite sit right; I do want to be a girl, and, certainly inside at least, I am quite girly. Up until a year ago when I came out as gay, I made myself out to be much more masculine than I was; and as I've gotten more comfortable with myself, the more girly I've become, if that makes sense (but also, more happy).

I'll probably end up with the "I'm a feminine guy and I'm okay with that". I dunno :/

And yeah, I am a teenager, I'm 17.

Original post by Simplythebest...
Yes

you were born with a penis

you will always be a man...

Insightful.
Thanks, you've given me some food for thought.

I guess I'm more confused than anything. I don't think I'm transgender, because I don't feel that I *am* a girl, but something doesn't quite sit right; I do want to be a girl, and, certainly inside at least, I am quite girly. Up until a year ago when I came out as gay, I made myself out to be much more masculine than I was; and as I've gotten more comfortable with myself, the more girly I've become, if that makes sense (but also, more happy).

I'll probably end up with the "I'm a feminine guy and I'm okay with that". I dunno :/

And yeah, I am a teenager, I'm 17.

Insightful.

it is also a fact.
it is also a fact.

No it's not, just because you can't think of anyone as anything other than male or female doesn't mean that's how it is. There are thousands of people in the world who don't identify entirely as male or female and that is a real thing for them. Refusing to acknowledge something doesn't cease it existing, it just makes you a narrow minded person.
Original post by AliJDB
No it's not, just because you can't think of anyone as anything other than male or female doesn't mean that's how it is. There are thousands of people in the world who don't identify entirely as male or female and that is a real thing for them. Refusing to acknowledge something doesn't cease it existing, it just makes you a narrow minded person.

Nothing will change them into a biological female.

you can dress a boy up in girls close, cut off his penis etc

he is still never going to be able to br a biological woman.

what if i want to be a dog?

i have surgery to become a dog because in my mind i must be a dog, am i now a dog?
Reply 14
You are probably androgynous, physically accepting of your maleness but your mind gets caught up in two worlds. Neither male or female.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
Yes. Next.

I thought pandas were more tolerant :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing will change them into a biological female.

you can dress a boy up in girls close, cut off his penis etc

he is still never going to be able to br a biological woman.

what if i want to be a dog?

i have surgery to become a dog because in my mind i must be a dog, am i now a dog?

Our biology is only a small part of us, and with hormone replacement therapy and various other treatments people can choose to go through, we can change a large part of our biology.

There are certain aspects of ourselves we are unable to change completely, such as aspects of our biology, but that doesn't have to affect how people identify and how they live their lives.

Being a dog is a pretty bad analogy, because they're a less inteligent creature which is very dis-similar to us in a lot of ways. To truly "be a dog" you'd have to stop talking, walk on all fours, either be owned as a pet or live outdoors, all in all I don't think anyone wants to live like that, so all in all the analogy isn't really working.

I prefer the analogy of someone who may not be a natural musician, or a natural artist, or a natural actor. They may not be YOUR pre-conceived idea of what it means to be those things, they may not quite match the skill or ability of others even with a lot of effort. But that doesn't matter, because all they want to do is play, or paint, or act. And being told repeatedly that they won't or can't doesn't help them, because they can't help what they feel or what they want, and it doesn't help you, because it makes you look like a narrow minded, self important narcissist.

btw I'm gay

Is it weird that I'd swap bodies with you?
Nah, I'd love to be a guy, not in a dysmorphic way, I just feel like life would be easier as a man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliJDB
Our biology is only a small part of us, and with hormone replacement therapy and various other treatments people can choose to go through, we can change a large part of our biology.

There are certain aspects of ourselves we are unable to change completely, such as aspects of our biology, but that doesn't have to affect how people identify and how they live their lives.

Being a dog is a pretty bad analogy, because they're a less inteligent creature which is very dis-similar to us in a lot of ways. To truly "be a dog" you'd have to stop talking, walk on all fours, either be owned as a pet or live outdoors, all in all I don't think anyone wants to live like that, so all in all the analogy isn't really working.

I prefer the analogy of someone who may not be a natural musician, or a natural artist, or a natural actor. They may not be YOUR pre-conceived idea of what it means to be those things, they may not quite match the skill or ability of others even with a lot of effort. But that doesn't matter, because all they want to do is play, or paint, or act. And being told repeatedly that they won't or can't doesn't help them, because they can't help what they feel or what they want, and it doesn't help you, because it makes you look like a narrow minded, self important narcissist.

I think the musician example was also bad considering it is you are not born to be a musician as it was a man made object...

anyway i personally think it is ridiculous how
born a man can think they are a woman, never the less i still have every right to view them a man if i wish.

Just as they can call me narrow minded etc

if you want to have surgery then okay, but you can't tell me that i have to believe you are a woman.

Quick Reply

Latest