The Student Room Group

Not meeting course requirements - Am I wasting my time applying?

After leaving college 2 years ago and working, managing to save some money, I want to go to university and do something better with myself.

I am interested in studying paramedic science at LJMU, or possibly Edge Hill university. It is very unlikely that I would be able to relocate.

LJMU stated requirements:

280 UCAS points.

Can be made of 2 A-Levels. AS levels are not acceptable.

5 GCSEs which must include Mathematics, English Language and Science.

A BTEC Diploma is acceptable in a science or health related area.

An full manual driving license.

Here's the thing...

I have 240 UCAS points made up of one BTEC National Diploma (Triple merit grade), but it is not in a health or science related area, it is in creative media which clearly is completely unrelated to what I would like to study at university.

I meet all of the GCSE requirements, I have achieved grade C in all of my GCSEs except English Literature in which I achieved a D, I also achieved a C in additional science, is it possible this could go in my favour?

I have also completed vocational courses in the likes of health and safety in the workplace and effective working attitudes and practices.

I hold a full manual driving license as required.

I have taken part in voluntary work with St Johns Ambulance, providing first aid cover at community events, during this time, I have learnt a lot about this area of work.

I have a great interest in science.

So, by applying for this course, based on what I have achieved in school and college, along with my voluntary work etc, do I have any chance of being shortlisted for selection, or am I simply wasting my time?
Reply 1
think more creatively
Original post by Roy1
After leaving college 2 years ago and working, managing to save some money, I want to go to university and do something better with myself.

I am interested in studying paramedic science at LJMU, or possibly Edge Hill university. It is very unlikely that I would be able to relocate.

280 UCAS points.

Here's the thing...

I have 240 UCAS points made up of one BTEC National Diploma (Triple merit grade), but it is not in a health or science related area, it is in creative media which clearly is completely unrelated to what I would like to study at university.

I meet all of the GCSE requirements, I have achieved grade C in all of my GCSEs except English Literature in which I achieved a D, I also achieved a C in additional science, is it possible this could go in my favour?

I have also completed vocational courses in the likes of health and safety in the workplace and effective working attitudes and practices.

I have taken part in voluntary work with St Johns Ambulance, providing first aid cover at community events, during this time, I have learnt a lot about this area of work.

So, by applying for this course, based on what I have achieved in school and college, along with my voluntary work etc, do I have any chance of being shortlisted for selection, or am I simply wasting my time?

I suggest you get in touch with potential universities and ask them for information. Only they will know exactly what you can and cannot do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are over 21, then most Universities will look beyond the actual admissions requirements and take into account relevant work experience. Even if you are under 21 it is still worth contacting the Universities concerned, explaining what qualifications you have and asking if it is worth you applying.

If they say No, then ask what they would advise you t do to bring your UCAS points up to the required level - would they, for instance, accept a relevant Open Uni course such as http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/k101.htm which you could do whilst working.
Why not try getting a job with an ambulance service?
I will be starting my PTS apprenticeship with the North East Ambulance Service in April and they will get me to meet the uni requirements.
Reply 5
I've been looking at some Access to HE courses (applied Science) at my old college. I'm going down there tomorrow morning to have a word with them and see what they have to offer, I need to clear up course studying times and whether I am allowed to apply for a student loan with it being a college course. Ideally I need to remain in employment while I study, I'm currently on 20 hrs contract and that's about the minimum I can afford to work, whether I am studying or not, fingers crossed my employer is understanding and can work something out with me, they have been known to prevent people from working and studying at the same time simply out of spite.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Jessica-Jayden
Why not try getting a job with an ambulance service?
I will be starting my PTS apprenticeship with the North East Ambulance Service in April and they will get me to meet the uni requirements.

Unfortunately, here (North West Ambulance Service) do not seem to take people on for on the job training, and they are not taking on EMT for the foreseeable future. I have already contacted them to no avail.
Original post by Roy1
I've been looking at some Access to HE courses (applied Science) at my old college. I'm going down there tomorrow morning to have a word with them and see what they have to offer, I need to clear up course studying times and whether I am allowed to apply for a student loan with it being a college course. Ideally I need to remain in employment while I study, I'm currently on 20 hrs contract and that's about the minimum I can afford to work, whether I am studying or not, fingers crossed my employer is understanding and can work something out with me, they have been known to prevent people from working and studying at the same time simply out of spite.

The Mature Students forum is a good place for these sort of questions - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185
Original post by Roy1

280 UCAS points.

Here's the thing...

Hiya, I can imagine you are probably stressed, so I apologise in advance if my advice is either unclear or literally crap.
i agree with the previous post - contacting the unis is deffo a must.

you'll have a general idea of what the uni can offer you and if they can accommodate you.
however, i don't think you should lose hope if they don't accept you.
IM SURE --- any uni would want you.

i wish you all the best :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

x
Phone them up and ask.
Reply 10
Yes, I am certainly stressed. That horrible feeling when you don't know what to do with yourself. I went up to my old college today and sat down with an advisor to discuss my options and what courses are what, and I have been in email communication with an admissions administrator for the faculty of health at one of my local universities. Managed to declutter my mind slightly.

Ideally I want to study a year course then go into HE, but it seems that a 2 year diploma may be more suitable for me considering I need to stay in work and save hard, as it is not as intensive. Besides, there is no access course in science, and I love science, so in a way I would rather go and study applied science for 2 years.

I'm going to attend a college opening day next Thursday, take my certificates and CV down and see whats what down at the science and health & social care departments, ask the students a few questions and discuss the courses with the tutors. I'll have made a decision by the end of the month, all that will be left then is for my to speak to my manager about my desire to go back into education.
Hi,

College seems to be the way to go in that case, in the access to HE could you not do Biology, Chemistry and Maths over two year part time so you could still work?
Another way, I've just though of depending on whether your uni would accept NVQ Level 3 to get onto Paramedic Science as Teeside do. You could get a job as a support worker and get your NVQ Level 2 & 3 in Health and Social Care, you could pretty much work full time and still become qualified and gain valuable work experience.
Or what about getting a job in the call center department of NWAS and study A-Levels from home, would just need to syllabus from AQA or OCR and go into College to sit your exams, don't pay to do it online when all you need are the books and syllabus.
If not then college and stick with St John Ambulance. Plus, do some kind of sport on the side.
Don't give up hope, there's loads of ways you can work and still gain the necessary qualifications :smile:
Liverpool John Moore and Edge Hill are fairly easy universities to get into, media studies is the problem - unis don't take it seriously - and one can't expect them to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending