Question: Becoming a blood/organ donor?

Watch
Wallis96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'll be going to university in the UK (2014 entry) as an international student. I've done some research but there are no concrete answers online - does anyone know how, or if, I can go about becoming a blood and organ donor as an Indian citizen residing in the UK on a student visa?

Thanks
Wallis96
Rep:
?
Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I wasn't sure if it fell under health or uni life!
TashTLM
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll have to wait for six months after you get here before you can donate; information here on blood.co.uk. If you're planning on returning home regularly it may not be possible.

You'd be able to join the organ donor register, and perhaps bone marrow register, at a blood session, and if you ever need to ask anything about donation in the UK the people on the end of the phone are very helpful. Have a good look around blood.co.uk.

Hope that helps!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just to add, if you are eligible to donate blood, then you're probably also eligible to donate bone marrow. Joining the bone marrow register is, for you, probably going to be even more useful than donating blood, because there's a particularly acute shortage of ethnic minority bone marrow donors in the UK; I knew a girl who died because she couldn't get a bone marrow donor because she was from an ethnic minority and they couldn't find a match.

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/
Wallis96
Rep:
?
(Original post by TashTLM)
You'll have to wait for six months after you get here before you can donate; information here on blood.co.uk. If you're planning on returning home regularly it may not be possible.

You'd be able to join the organ donor register, and perhaps bone marrow register, at a blood session, and if you ever need to ask anything about donation in the UK the people on the end of the phone are very helpful. Have a good look around blood.co.uk.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! Definitely did help
Wallis96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Just to add, if you are eligible to donate blood, then you're probably also eligible to donate bone marrow. Joining the bone marrow register is, for you, probably going to be even more useful than donating blood, because there's a particularly acute shortage of ethnic minority bone marrow donors in the UK; I knew a girl who died because she couldn't get a bone marrow donor because she was from an ethnic minority and they couldn't find a match.

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/bonemarrow/
I didn't even realise there was such a thing as a bone marrow registry! But I will definitely endeavour to get on it once I get to the UK. Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.09%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (135)
59.21%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (32)
14.04%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.19%

Watched Threads