I need a new car. Help!

Watch
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Didn't post this on the first car thread because it's not my first car.

I know next to nothing about cars, but I need a new one and I have no-one to ask for help so I've turned to TSR. I don't just want to turn up at a garage and get scammed for paying a ridiculous price for a car that doesn't meet my needs.

I currently have a Ford KA. Really old. Falling to pieces pretty much, and I don't want to MOT it again because it will fail. Apart from it's age I really like it. It has been unreliable but I don't know if it's more because it's like 14 years old rather than the car itself. It's only done 50,000 miles. 30,000 when I got it.

I am starting a PGCE in September and may be driving up to 40 miles a day depending on my placement, so I need a newer car. Something I can rely on.

What is a good small car, reliable and good on fuel? I was thinking a newer KA or a Corsa? They are like the only ones I know Also, what is the oldest car I could get away with buying, but for it still to be reliable? I can't afford anything really new but I don't want to get something too old either.

Also, where is best to buy? A garage or online? I got the KA from someone advertising on Gumtree, but I think she did me over a bit because it had loads wrong with it that she didn't mention and I wouldn't have known until I got it home and used it properly. Oh well.
jusdorange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most important question - budget ?
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by jusdorange)
Most important question - budget ?
I may sound even more naive here but I was thinking about £1500. I don't know if I'm being unrealistic to get a reliable car with that though :dontknow: . My KA cost me £500 so I was thinking an extra £1000 could get me something better.
jusdorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
I may sound even more naive here but I was thinking about £1500. I don't know if I'm being unrealistic to get a reliable car with that though :dontknow: . My KA cost me £500 so I was thinking an extra £1000 could get me something better.
500£ is far too little , as you know usually more trouble than they are worth unless you know a lot about cars

1,500-2000 is enough for a relatively new small car and newer cars have lower insurance Premiums so balances out
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I know next to nothing about cars, but I need a new one and I have no-one to ask for help so I've turned to TSR. I don't just want to turn up at a garage and get scammed for paying a ridiculous price for a car that doesn't meet my needs.

I currently have a Ford KA. Really old. Falling to pieces pretty much, and I don't want to MOT it again because it will fail. Apart from it's age I really like it. It has been unreliable but I don't know if it's more because it's like 14 years old rather than the car itself. It's only done 50,000 miles. 30,000 when I got it.

I am starting a PGCE in September and may be driving up to 40 miles a day depending on my placement, so I need a newer car. Something I can rely on.

What is a good small car, reliable and good on fuel? I was thinking a newer KA or a Corsa? They are like the only ones I know Also, what is the oldest car I could get away with buying, but for it still to be reliable? I can't afford anything really new but I don't want to get something too old either.

Also, where is best to buy? A garage or online? I got the KA from someone advertising on Gumtree, but I think she did me over a bit because it had loads wrong with it that she didn't mention and I wouldn't have known until I got it home and used it properly. Oh well.
Before you start jumping the gun, how exactly do you know that it will be a MOT failure? Considering you just said it yourself that you don't know much about cars.

How exactly has it been unreliable? Did it break down on you? How many journeys did you do with it that it failed to complete and you had to wait for a AA/RAC rescue vehicle? Times it didn't start?
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
Before you start jumping the gun, how exactly do you know that it will be a MOT failure? Considering you just said it yourself that you don't know much about cars.

How exactly has it been unreliable? Did it break down on you? How many journeys did you do with it that it failed to complete and you had to wait for a AA/RAC rescue vehicle? Times it didn't start?
I'm just going off the fact that it's failed every MOT that I've had with it . Plus the mechanic told me last time that he wouldn't bother having it through another MOT the next year.

It's not unreliable in the sense of not starting. It's been pretty good like that. I've called the RAC twice. Once was at home though. The other time because my windscreen wipers weren't working and it was torrential rain. It's more the body of it, it's rusting so badly and every time I hear a weird noise or something it ends up needing some work doing (I can't remember exact names but things like steering rack, wishbone things at the front, brake discs). Twice in the past few months I've had a flat tire and I can't remove my spare tire because the holder has rusted so much that the RAC guy couldn't get it out. The amount of money I've spent on it in repairs is easily £1000+ and I don't want to spend anymore, it just feels like money down the drain, because no matter how many things I seem to replace, something else always happens.

Now it's making a weird ticking noise and I dread to get it checked for what it is.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should thoroughly ínspect a car properly, read up onlíne guídes of how to do so, etc.

Polo, Yarís, Fíesta, Íbíza........maybe the jazz though íts boríng, golf, etc
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I feel for you because it's incredibly easy to get ripped off if you don't know a lot about cars.
If you're in Derbyshire you'd be quite welcome to bring the KA round to my place and I'll check it over for you.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm just going off the fact that it's failed every MOT that I've had with it . Plus the mechanic told me last time that he wouldn't bother having it through another MOT the next year.

It's not unreliable in the sense of not starting. It's been pretty good like that. I've called the RAC twice. Once was at home though. The other time because my windscreen wipers weren't working and it was torrential rain. It's more the body of it, it's rusting so badly and every time I hear a weird noise or something it ends up needing some work doing (I can't remember exact names but things like steering rack, wishbone things at the front, brake discs). Twice in the past few months I've had a flat tire and I can't remove my spare tire because the holder has rusted so much that the RAC guy couldn't get it out. The amount of money I've spent on it in repairs is easily £1000+ and I don't want to spend anymore, it just feels like money down the drain, because no matter how many things I seem to replace, something else always happens.

Now it's making a weird ticking noise and I dread to get it checked for what it is.

Most cars will have some wear and tear to it. Your 14 year old one is simply requiring attention though am kind of surprised it needs that kind of attention considering how little it had been driven. Perhaps you bought something that the odometer had been tampered with? Anyway water under the bridge it is.

I personally won't recommend buying a car off Gumtree or Craigslist.

If it is £1.5k that you can spend then best to buy it off a dealer rather than private seller, this is especially in view that you don't know much about cars. I would highly recommend whatever you buy from whomever you buy it from you have the car test driven by yourself and someone who knows about cars. Also bring it to a mechanic for an overview as to its actual condition, most good ones can spot a bad car.

Cars to get, essentially at that budget you will be looking at something 8-10 years old. Probably won't be the prettiest car and more than likely won't be your favourite car.

Look for well-maintained example of one o the following :-

Daewoo Matiz.... yeah I know, kind of a **** car but it is good wheels and for the most part fairly robust.

Fiat Panda... your money should be able to net an 8-10 year old example with plenty of life left in it. I'd highly recommend this one as it is a very good car. Parts are cheap and fairly easy to work on, if you will be travelling a lot then the 1.3l Diesel isn't a bad choice but the 1.2l petrol is good too. Will handle the motorways and UK A&B roads way better than the Daewoo. I had one of these as well and recently one of the newer ones made it from South Africa to London in 10 days, so it can't be all that bad.

Hyundai Getz... Good car and reliable. Fuel consumption not the worst in class either.
Delo R
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about BMW M4
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
You should thoroughly ínspect a car properly, read up onlíne guídes of how to do so, etc.

Polo, Yarís, Fíesta, Íbíza........maybe the jazz though íts boríng, golf, etc
Thanks, yeah I'm going to read up before I go and view any. Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering a Fiesta because it's the car I learnt to drive in and I quite liked it. Not really seen any in my price range that look good though,

(Original post by JC.)
I feel for you because it's incredibly easy to get ripped off if you don't know a lot about cars.
If you're in Derbyshire you'd be quite welcome to bring the KA round to my place and I'll check it over for you.
I'm not really near Derbyshire, but thanks for the offer! It would be handy if I knew someone who could look over it for me and tell me if it's a lost cause of not.

(Original post by Alfissti)
Most cars will have some wear and tear to it. Your 14 year old one is simply requiring attention though am kind of surprised it needs that kind of attention considering how little it had been driven. Perhaps you bought something that the odometer had been tampered with? Anyway water under the bridge it is.

I personally won't recommend buying a car off Gumtree or Craigslist.

If it is £1.5k that you can spend then best to buy it off a dealer rather than private seller, this is especially in view that you don't know much about cars. I would highly recommend whatever you buy from whomever you buy it from you have the car test driven by yourself and someone who knows about cars. Also bring it to a mechanic for an overview as to its actual condition, most good ones can spot a bad car.

Cars to get, essentially at that budget you will be looking at something 8-10 years old. Probably won't be the prettiest car and more than likely won't be your favourite car.

Look for well-maintained example of one o the following :-

Daewoo Matiz.... yeah I know, kind of a **** car but it is good wheels and for the most part fairly robust.

Fiat Panda... your money should be able to net an 8-10 year old example with plenty of life left in it. I'd highly recommend this one as it is a very good car. Parts are cheap and fairly easy to work on, if you will be travelling a lot then the 1.3l Diesel isn't a bad choice but the 1.2l petrol is good too. Will handle the motorways and UK A&B roads way better than the Daewoo. I had one of these as well and recently one of the newer ones made it from South Africa to London in 10 days, so it can't be all that bad.

Hyundai Getz... Good car and reliable. Fuel consumption not the worst in class either.
Yeah, we wondered if the mileage was off. The odometer only has five digits so we thought it had maybe reached 99,999 once and gone round again, but I don't think it would have lasted 150,000 miles. :dontknow:

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely leaning more towards going to a garage. I looked on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago and the prices just seem over the top and sometimes you wonder why people are selling them. There are people selling KAs as old as mine for £800. 8-10 years old would be fine. I generally don't want something older than 10.

I'm not getting a new car until uni has ended anyway, so I've a couple of months yet, but I just wanted to get some ideas. May go for a walk past the local garages later and see what the prices are like.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no real age or price that is a cut-off for reliable cars. There's plenty of brand new cars that are not particularly reliable - though you don't have to pay for the repairs. Conversely, there's plenty of older cars which run around without needing much beyond basic maintenance. Honestjohn.co.uk has potential problems to look out for in particular models, so it's worth checking there when you're trying to decide what to look at.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, yeah I'm going to read up before I go and view any. Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering a Fiesta because it's the car I learnt to drive in and I quite liked it. Not really seen any in my price range that look good though,
Í thínk your current car ís a lost cause, the míleage ís defínítely dodgy........

But defo check a car out properly, paperwork, test dríve, just touch everythíng, etc....
lou 22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I have a fiat 500 1.2 litre lounge model and would and have recommended them to many people since have her for nearly 2 months now, my car is very economical, I can fill then tank for £45.

for you I would say check the main dealer if you can for used but still new but it all depends on your age, location, your ncb ad you budget for both car and insurance.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou 22)
I have a fiat 500 1.2 litre lounge model and would and have recommended them to many people since have her for nearly 2 months now, my car is very economical, I can fill then tank for £45.

for you I would say check the main dealer if you can for used but still new but it all depends on your age, location, your ncb ad you budget for both car and insurance.
I really want a Fiat 500 actually. They are cute. However I did a quick search once and they looked out of my price range. Can I ask how much you paid/ how old it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jusdorange
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really want a Fiat 500 actually. They are cute. However I did a quick search once and they looked out of my price range. Can I ask how much you paid/ how old it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
they are fairly recent

you won't find one for 1,500-2,000 if that's what you are thinking
lou 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine is a 63plate so it was new but my friend is getting a 08 plate with 18,000 miles for £4000 and her insurance is supposed to £220 pm but she intends to keep the car for a few years so makes it more worth while.

but if it is within your budget get one my model has a panoramic that i totally love.
lou 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
they are fairly recent

they started to be re made in like 08 i think so yeah they are fairly recent.

you would if it was cat d or c but insurers can be funny about insuring a car that has sustained minor damage. I personally wouldn't get one but know people who have.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou 22)
Mine is a 63plate so it was new but my friend is getting a 08 plate with 18,000 miles for £4000 and her insurance is supposed to £220 pm but she intends to keep the car for a few years so makes it more worth while.

but if it is within your budget get one my model has a panoramic that i totally love.

they are fairly recent

Yeah I didn't expect to get one for 1500-2000 because the lowest I've seen on my searches has been over 3000. Just curious. £4000 is over my budget, and £220 pm insurance is insane. I pay £300 a year at the moment!!
SanjayGill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ford Fiesta's are quite good, very economical and cheap to insure. You can check on the AutoTrader website.
I had a Fiesta and it was taking my dad to work and back (100miles) for £10 per day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads