The Student Room Group

I'm really confused, I'm not sure as to where I should study

Hey everyone, I'm an IB student and aspire to study Economics and Politics/International Relations.

I applied a while ago and have received the following acceptances:
LSE- BSc International Relations
McGill University- Faculty of Arts (any program of my choice)
St Andrews University- BA Economics and International Relations
Durham University- BA Combined Honours in Social Sciences
University of Toronto- BA Economics and Political Science
University of Warwick- BA Economics, International Studies and Politics

I am unsure as to where I should go it would be greatly appreciated if I could have some advice from you all. (This is my first TSR post, so I'm unaware of whether or not this is too formal) Haha, sorry if it is.
Reply 1
Original post by TJ263
Hey everyone, I'm an IB student and aspire to study Economics and Politics/International Relations.

I am unsure as to where I should go it would be greatly appreciated if I could have some advice from you all. (This is my first TSR post, so I'm unaware of whether or not this is too formal) Haha, sorry if it is.

Those are some fantastic offers! Congratulations!

Firstly you have to decide what your priorities are.
1) rank your offers in order of course content you like the most
2) consider whether you'd rather study in the UK or abroad - where would make more financial sense?
3) visit those which are close enough to visit - it can really help you get a feel as to where you would feel most happy
Reply 2
Original post by Jamerson
Those are some fantastic offers! Congratulations!

Firstly you have to decide what your priorities are.
1) rank your offers in order of course content you like the most
2) consider whether you'd rather study in the UK or abroad - where would make more financial sense?
3) visit those which are close enough to visit - it can really help you get a feel as to where you would feel most happy

Hey thanks Jamerson, your the first person I've spoken to on TSR! Okay, that makes sense however what's your personal opinion? I am British, however my parents have asked that I do not consider finances as there isn't a large disparity (around 1000 pounds). I left the UK when I was 3 then I went to the UAE after which I went to India, so it would be an experience regardless of where I go. Also, I don't think visits will be feasible with my fast-approaching IB finals.
Reply 3
Original post by TJ263
Hey thanks Jamerson, your the first person I've spoken to on TSR! Okay, that makes sense however what's your personal opinion? I am British, however my parents have asked that I do not consider finances as there isn't a large disparity (around 1000 pounds). I left the UK when I was 3 then I went to the UAE after which I went to India, so it would be an experience regardless of where I go. Also, I don't think visits will be feasible with my fast-approaching IB finals.

Hooray! It's an honour to be the first person you speak to! :tongue:

You're very lucky that you have the chance to study abroad without worrying about finances. As someone who doesn't share your flair for the subject you're applying for, it's difficult for me to make a judgement. What course you like the best is entirely up to you - and you should consider that.
But, I would be tempted to study abroad if I were you - simply for the life experience. Looking at the UK universities separately, all of them are very impressive. Whether LSE is a good idea for you is really dependent on whether you'd like to live in London -I would quite like that, so I might lean towards that - not to mention the fantastic reputation LSE has!

Durham is also good, but it is further away from where I live than LSE is - not to mention the great transport links from London. So I might be tempted to choose LSE over Durham. I visited Warwick and despite having multiple friends who go there, I did not feel much love towards it in general - so I would probably not choose Warwick.

I hope some of that is coherent, I've typed it very fast and it's quite a splurge of what springs to mind when I look at the names of those universities. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Jamerson
Hooray! It's an honour to be the first person you speak to! :tongue:

You're very lucky that you have the chance to study abroad without worrying about finances. As someone who doesn't share your flair for the subject you're applying for, it's difficult for me to make a judgement. What course you like the best is entirely up to you - and you should consider that.
But, I would be tempted to study abroad if I were you - simply for the life experience. Looking at the UK universities separately, all of them are very impressive. Whether LSE is a good idea for you is really dependent on whether you'd like to live in London -I would quite like that, so I might lean towards that - not to mention the fantastic reputation LSE has!

Durham is also good, but it is further away from where I live than LSE is - not to mention the great transport links from London. So I might be tempted to choose LSE over Durham. I visited Warwick and despite having multiple friends who go there, I did not feel much love towards it in general - so I would probably not choose Warwick.

I hope some of that is coherent, I've typed it very fast and it's quite a splurge of what springs to mind when I look at the names of those universities. :biggrin:

Thank you Jamerson, your personal insights are truly appreciated! I agree with a lot of what you're saying and yes, I think it will be an experience wherever I go. Thank you once again!
Reply 5
My battery is flashing so sorry I cannot elaborate but - I would absolutely take the opportunity to study abroad, and would say that everyone should if they can. Particularly in such a city as Toronto! I feel it would be a wasted opportunity for sure if you took one of the other options within the UK, unless you are really leaning towards one for location/course reasons. Keep up the traveling and life experiences - to Toronto! (; Congratulations on the excellent offers.
Reply 6
Original post by TJ263
Thank you Jamerson, your personal insights are truly appreciated! I agree with a lot of what you're saying and yes, I think it will be an experience wherever I go. Thank you once again!

You're welcome! You'll leave with a fantastic degree from wherever you decide to go, so I think the most important thing for you to do is to carefully compare the course content :smile:

Goodluck!
Like the posters above, I would prefer to study outside the UK. If I were you, I would go to uni of Toronto :smile: just because I like the city
Reply 8
Original post by TJ263

When did you get your Warwick offer?
Reply 9
Original post by kt6345
When did you get your Warwick offer?

Hey kt6345! I received an offer from Warwick last month (mid).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending