Talking about the 6 C's in your nursing interview.

Watch this thread
Marty_0
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have an interview in 5 days for Children's nursing and at a total loss of how to incoporate the 6 C's into my nursing interview answers. Any advice and I mean ANY advice is welcome.

6 C's = Care, compassion, competence, communication, courage and commitment!

Thanks )
ciaras
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Marty_0)
I have an interview in 5 days for Children's nursing and at a total loss of how to incoporate the 6 C's into my nursing interview answers. Any advice and I mean ANY advice is welcome.

6 C's = Care, compassion, competence, communication, courage and commitment!

Thanks )
If they ask you scenario based it's quite easy, I've used communication when they ask me about skills in current work and how important it is to be able to communicate with diverse groups of people and children ettc. Also, when talking about how good you are at teamwork you can bring communication in too.

The Francis report has come up in nearly interview I've been in, and I've said it was particularly important at emphasising the 6 C's and making sure we have courage to speak up if anything is going wrong, which I've also used when they ask what you'd do under pressure or if you make a mistake. Speaking up and talking to the rest of your colleagues about it etc.

I've talked about care/compassion but they usually speak for themselves, I've found courage and communication really great to talk about in interviews good luck!!
Marty_0
Rep:
(Original post by ciaras)
If they ask you scenario based it's quite easy, I've used communication when they ask me about skills in current work and how important it is to be able to communicate with diverse groups of people and children ettc. Also, when talking about how good you are at teamwork you can bring communication in too.

The Francis report has come up in nearly interview I've been in, and I've said it was particularly important at emphasising the 6 C's and making sure we have courage to speak up if anything is going wrong, which I've also used when they ask what you'd do under pressure or if you make a mistake. Speaking up and talking to the rest of your colleagues about it etc.

I've talked about care/compassion but they usually speak for themselves, I've found courage and communication really great to talk about in interviews good luck!!
Simple and precise.. thank you Caira. so demonstrating them through your answers and experience is more or less easier and smarter than trying to define and rhyme all 6 off in one answer
fifimas
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
One question I had at an interviewyesterday was, do you know what the 6 c's are and then I reeled them off I was then asked how each one could be applied to a nurse doing their job on a daily basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ballroom beans
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Simple and precise.. thank you Caira. so demonstrating them through your answers and experience is more or less easier and smarter than trying to define and rhyme all 6 off in one answer
Yes but still pratisce shooting the 6's off.
Marty_0
Rep:
(Original post by ballroom beans)
Yes but still pratisce shooting the 6's off.
'Shooting the 6's off' .. lol what do you mean?
ballroom beans
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If someone asks you what the 6 C's are. You are able the answer "Care, courage, competency, compassion, communication and commitment" without thinking.
Callie-X
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
so demonstrating them through your answers and experience is more or less easier and smarter than trying to define and rhyme all 6 off in one answer
Yes exactly - I'm just going back into nursing eduction after years if working in care/support services - employers like examples interviews, it's not simply enough to say that you know what the 6 Cs are; you'd be expected to explain how you have or would incorporate them into your working practice. I'm sure it'll be the same for university interviews.
nurse tutor
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
the most important is that you show the panel how important it is to look after yourself (pam smith wrote about emotional labour in nursing ) there is masses of research about burnout in nursing
this is an old but very relevant definition of burn out in nursing from an american researcher. you can see just by understanding this that nurses who don't manage their stress, pace themselves cannot 'care, communicate, show compassion courage or commitment!
think maslow hierachy of need and always apply it to you !

at interview ask about protected time for reflective practice or small group supervision, this is essential to process the emotions associated with caring (talking.... or processing sad and difficult work experiences is good for your mental health!) hard boiled cynical nurses become like that because they have not been supported at the beginning of their to learn life enhancing coping skills.

Storlie FJ (1979) Burnout an elaboration of a concept American Journal of Nursing Dec 79 (12) 2108-11
“Literal collapse of the human spirit-

Transforming caring into apathy-

Involvement into distance-

Openness into self protection-

and trust into suspicion”.
Bankey
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Mental health nursing Interview
Bankey
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What are the questions ask for mental health nursing interview
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.5%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (12)
15%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
21.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.75%

Watched Threads