The Student Room Group

anyone else doing/done a food degree?

I'm hoping to start an msc in food come September but I get the impression it's one of those subjects that not many people study so I don't hear much about the workload and content and what people want to do with the degree.

I need a food based degree to get on a pgce for food tech after completing degrees in arts based subjects that I don't want to teach.

How about you? How are you finding your studies? What do you hope to do with the degree? Is the degree content massively different to A level food?
Reply 1
Be prepared for a lot of work. The content is very different to A level food as it is more maths, stats and science based. Its not about designing and making food like A-level.
Hi and thanks :smile:

Which course are you on?

I'm expecting it to be much harder than my arts based degrees...was surprised to be offered a place on the course.

I'm hoping where possible to be able to focus on the consumer/marketing side of things where possible. Hope I cope ok with the maths science stats side of things ok!

Are you looking to teach food tech too?
Original post by han0910
Be prepared for a lot of work. The content is very different to A level food as it is more maths, stats and science based. Its not about designing and making food like A-level.
Reply 3
Im in my final year at Huddersfield on Food,Nutrition and Health. Yeah I do, I have just been accepted on secondary food tech pgce at Sheffield hallam, can't wait to start in september!
There is some focus on the consumer but more on different groups such as children, ethnicities etc. Not too much on marketing but that might just be Huddersfield. There is a lot of work but theres also a lot of support aswell :smile:
Thanks for your helpful reply :smile:

Congratulations on the pgce...the one at Sheffield looks great!

I always found I was good at food tech at school but maths amd especially science were difficult subjects to me so I'm anxious that it could go either way. I'm going to be studying at man met where they have lots of food courses so I'm hoping I could transfer in a worse case scenario because some are more commercial based courses but I'm hoping that mine is as close to food tech a level as possible lol :smile:
Original post by han0910
Im in my final year at Huddersfield on Food,Nutrition and Health. Yeah I do, I have just been accepted on secondary food tech pgce at Sheffield hallam, can't wait to start in september!
There is some focus on the consumer but more on different groups such as children, ethnicities etc. Not too much on marketing but that might just be Huddersfield. There is a lot of work but theres also a lot of support aswell :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending