The Student Room Group

Chi-squared and stats help please!

Hi,

Just need help doing the chi-squared test, I have a sum of my data however I don't know how to come up with an expected frequency. I've done yeast experiments at different temperatures and calculated rate of reaction for each one and come up with the following values:

Temperature (degrees):rate of reaction
-10:0
0:0
10:0.136
20:0.5
30:0.67
40:2.1
50:3.7
60:2.875
70:1.5
80:0.89
90:0

Using chi-squared I would need to predict a value to compare my observed values? My hypotheses are below:

Null hypothesis: There will be no difference in the amount of carbon dioxide given off as the temperature is changed.

Experimental hypothesis: I predict that the most carbon dioxide given off and the rate of reaction will be highest at 37ºC as familiar enzymes work best at this temperature. After this temperature the enzymes will start to denature and the carbon dioxide produced will decrease. Also when the temperature is less than 37ºC i predict that the enzymes will work slower and the carbon dioxide levels will be lower than at the optimum temperature of 37ºC.

Could somebody help me put this into a stats test please, greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Latest