Warwick accountancy or York economics? Watch

Economics567
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I initially applied for economics at both unis. York has offered me a place with grades AAB
warwick has given me alternative degree offer for accounting and finance with grades AAA.

i want to go into a career like investment banking, or financial risk consulting.

which uni and course would people advise?
Selym95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Warwick all the way if that's your ambitions
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Economics is much more favoured due to its mathematical content.
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
Economics is much more favoured due to its mathematical content.
Warwick is a target uni so it will be favoured in investment banking more than whatever course it is at York.

@OP, I'd take the Warwick offer anyway and then try to wiggle my way back to Economics to put yourself in a stronger position.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yl95)
Warwick is a target uni so it will be favoured in investment banking more than whatever course it is at York.

@OP, I'd take the Warwick offer anyway and then try to wiggle my way back to Economics to put yourself in a stronger position.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure. Except Warwick has tonnes of much better courses than simply A+F for IB. You really think that an IB will target the accounting department rather than the MORSE/Economics/Maths ?

Just my two cent. I personally think its better to go straight into an ACA scheme rather than an accounting degree.
username638250
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sure. Except Warwick has tonnes of much better courses than simply A+F for IB. You really think that an IB will target the accounting department rather than the MORSE/Economics/Maths ?

Just my two cent. I personally think its better to go straight into an ACA scheme rather than an accounting degree.
It's still a target uni and that's what matters (against York). The OP applied for Economics initially so I guess they couldn't do anything about the fact that they got an offer for A+F.
Economics567
Rep:
?
My question is (regardless of other courses I could have picked),
would employers favour accounting and finance from Warwick or economics from York?
username638250
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Economics567)
My question is (regardless of other courses I could have picked),
would employers favour accounting and finance from Warwick or economics from York?
Warwick for investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics567
Rep:
?
(Original post by yl95)
Warwick for investment banking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou
Simplythebest...
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course Warwick is the better uni but the course is not for IB, it can get you into it. But personally I would go for York Economics tbh. York is a damn good uni and the Economics vs A&F factor > Warwick vs Uni factor for me.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yl95)
It's still a target uni and that's what matters (against York). The OP applied for Economics initially so I guess they couldn't do anything about the fact that they got an offer for A+F.
By that logic, a criminologist studying at LSE is basically a clear pathway to IB?

The course needs to be at least fairly relevant (and perhaps highly respectable) to the demands of financial mathematics. Since competition is very tough, I doubt an accounting degree will get too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username638250
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
By that logic, a criminologist studying at LSE is basically a clear pathway to IB?

The course needs to be at least fairly relevant (and perhaps highly respectable) to the demands of financial mathematics. Since competition is very tough, I doubt an accounting degree will get too far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one said that it would be a clear pathway to IB - it would get you as far as your interview.
From TSR.
'Do note that banking does not necessarily mean a quant/trading role.
Which University Do I Need To Go To?
There is a general trend followed by all Investment Banks. Oxbridge and Imperial students are very much sought after, regardless of which subject you are studying.Imperial graduates owing to their quantitative degrees are also in high remand. On par with Oxbridge and Imperial are students from LSE . LSE offers much less choice in terms of degrees available but is strongly regarded and considered to be a breeding ground for bankers, and coupled with the fact it is in London, it is perfect for Banking.
(Oxbridge and Imperial are considered top tier universities by Investment Banks so getting a degree from these universities will definitely put you at an advanage over all other UK universities ). Media:http://www.worldfinance.com/banking/...lable-in-banks

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from.
After the G5:
Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol
Cass Business School (London)
York/Bath/St Andrews
King’s/Manchester
However, after Oxbridge/Imperial, the degree you do does start to become more relevant. For example, theoretically, it would be ‘easier’ for someone with a Geography degree from Oxford to get into Banking than someone with a Geography degree from York.
Please note that this does not mean that if you do Mathematics at Oxford you are certain to get a position in Banking - your extra curricular activities, work experience, CV, cover letter, contracts and interview technique will all count.'
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads