brian80
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I am struggling to find effective way of revising for my subjects at GCSE LEVEL, and now starting to get stressed because the information is going in the memory. Most of my targets are B/C and currently on track to get D/C on most subjects, I am scared and wondering how people get A/B/C in gcse when I am finding it difficult to even get a C grade now. When I revise I have a revision guide in front of me and read it then write notes but I still feel that nothing has gone in my head. Please tell me how to get good grades and an effective way of revising. I'm year 11 and exams start in two and a half months. These are my subjects:

Core science - EDEXCEL
Additional science- EDEXCEL
Geography-EDEXCEL
Business-OCR
Maths-EDEXCEL
English Lang- WJEC
English Lit- WJEC
ICT-AQA
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by brian80)
Hi, I am struggling to find effective way of revising for my subjects at GCSE LEVEL, and now starting to get stressed because the information is going in the memory. Most of my targets are B/C and currently on track to get D/C on most subjects, I am scared and wondering how people get A/B/C in gcse when I am finding it difficult to even get a C grade now. When I revise I have a revision guide in front of me and read it then write notes but I still feel that nothing has gone in my head. Please tell me how to get good grades and an effective way of revising. I'm year 11 and exams start in two and a half months. These are my subjects:

Core science - EDEXCEL
Geography-EDEXCEL
Business-OCR
Maths-EDEXCEL
English Lang- WJEC
English Lit- WJEC
ICT-AQA
i'm I allowed to bump?
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
practice that knowledge by doing past papers...
Simmmi02
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As a fellow year 11 student, this is what i'd recommend:

Core science - Go over the topics individually and test yourself to see which topics you need to work on in particular. Revise these subjects throughly and then try past paper questions to get used to exam style questions. This helped me to get an A grade last year.
Additional science- Same as above.
Geography-Make sure you know the syllabus. Go over any topics you are unsure of with friends and teachers.
Business- Go over each topic thoroughly so as not to forget anything.
Maths-Past paper questions, use youtube videos, generally any gcse maths website will help.
English Lang and Lit- Learn the syllabus and keep going over the texts/poems you have studied.
ICT- Spend time revising for this exam, it's hard to do well if you don't know the specification. ICT is sadly one of those subjects where you have to learn the specification in detail in order to do well.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Past Papers.
joe1597
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did my GCSE's last year. I just read over notes a lot and practiced past papers. Just make sure you keep at it but don't do too much because too much will stress you out.
MysteriousMog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does your school have an online learning/revision site they are set up with? My school had an account on SAM Learning, an online revision site, and we all got our own passwords to log on with. It was good because it actually had questions that related to most topics that you could go through and answer, then get results from and see how you did. I did these over and over and found they really helped me. Find out if your school has anything similar! If not, there are lots of free revision sites online where you can answer questions, make mind maps to help etc
humanb33N
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by brian80)

Core science - EDEXCEL
Geography-EDEXCEL
Business-OCR
Maths-EDEXCEL
English Lang- WJEC
English Lit- WJEC
ICT-AQA
General tips: check out Patrick Blakey's GCSE revision guide, he covers loads of subjects comprehensively. Use what works best for you...the advice that I give might not help! Equally, check out other threads on TSR. Look on your school's shared drive for resources. Don't always trust revision guides, sometimes the specification changes. Always refer to the specification. At the start of each revision session, recap all of your notes. Oh and...work hard!

I'm currently in year 12. I studied English Lit and Lang at GCSE, gaining two A*s (dropping 0, 1 and 5 UMS in my final exams). My top tip would be to pay attention to your teacher in class and to make notes on what they say. I was on OCR though, but what I did to revise for English Lit prose is that I'd get myself a CGP/York Notes/etc guide and slowly work through it. I'd draw mind maps for characters and key themes. At the start of every revision session, I'd recap what I'd already covered.You should aim to read each text three times. For poetry, I just used my school's zigzag guide and I went through the poems. At the start of each revision session, I'd go through the notes I'd already made. I'd practice writing essays too on poems. Impress examiners with original and abstract ideas that can be backed up.

I got full marks in English Language. I just familiarised myself with what key features to look out for i.e. patterns of three, alliteration (there are LOADS of youtube videos on this) and then I'd sit and read loads of Guardian articles (you don't HAVE to use Guardian articles but they've got good vocabulary which is good for your own response) and work my way through them, analysing the effects of language. I also compiled a list of really intelligent sounding words (see the Guardian, Times, Mitchell and Webb (!)) and I memorized them so that my own response was top notch....you could try and get a WJEC English revision guide (http://www.amazon.co.uk/WJEC-GCSE-En.../dp/0435016873) or maybe borrow one from your teacher.

I also did Maths for Edexcel and got an A* in it. Doing past papers is a MUST so that you know the kinds of questions you'll be asked. Maths is essentially practice. I suggest asking your teacher for a specification of the things you needed to know for each grade and just basically working through it, covering all the D grade topics, then C grade, then B grade etc... I used mymaths to revise each topic and also my CGP guide for more questions. For even more, I turned to textbooks. With Maths, it's quite easy to improve your grade.

I also did Business albeit on AQA and with iGCSE. I got full marks in every exam. I worked my way through a CGP guide and I made pretty little notes with in-jokes and everything (I'm a sad person, what can I say? :L). I checked that I had covered every topic on the specification.

For science, I managed to get full marks in my summer exams by using the specification as a bible, supplemented by my CGP revision guide and my exam board textbook. I made cute little revision notes and I did past papers.

Check out this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTH1OB7dtf4) and this thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1375172) for top tips on studying. Spice up your revision by revising in different places. Don't revise with your ipod, phone etc. and if you know you're going to be distracted, move yourself away to a library.

ANYTHING is possible. I was predicted 8As, 2Bs and 1C at the start of year 10 and moved on to get 8A*s, 2As and 1B )
brian80
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Jess_x;46648898]General tips: check out Patrick Blakey's GCSE revision guide, he covers loads of subjects comprehensively. Use what works best for you...the advice that I give might not help! Equally, check out other threads on TSR. Look on your school's shared drive for resources. Don't always trust revision guides, sometimes the specification changes. Always refer to the specification. At the start of each revision session, recap all of your notes. Oh and...work hard!

I'm currently in year 12. I studied English Lit and Lang at GCSE, gaining two A*s (dropping 0, 1 and 5 UMS in my final exams). My top tip would be to pay attention to your teacher in class and to make notes on what they say. I was on OCR though, but what I did to revise for English Lit prose is that I'd get myself a CGP/York Notes/etc guide and slowly work through it. I'd draw mind maps for characters and key themes. At the start of every revision session, I'd recap what I'd already covered.You should aim to read each text three times. For poetry, I just used my school's zigzag guide and I went through the poems. At the start of each revision session, I'd go through the notes I'd already made. I'd practice writing essays too on poems. Impress examiners with original and abstract ideas that can be backed up.

I got full marks in English Language. I just familiarised myself with what key features to look out for i.e. patterns of three, alliteration (there are LOADS of youtube videos on this) and then I'd sit and read loads of Guardian articles (you don't HAVE to use Guardian articles but they've got good vocabulary which is good for your own response) and work my way through them, analysing the effects of language. I also compiled a list of really intelligent sounding words (see the Guardian, Times, Mitchell and Webb (!)) and I memorized them so that my own response was top notch....you could try and get a WJEC English revision guide (http://www.amazon.co.uk/WJEC-GCSE-En.../dp/0435016873) or maybe borrow one from your teacher.

I also did Maths for Edexcel and got an A* in it. Doing past papers is a MUST so that you know the kinds of questions you'll be asked. Maths is essentially practice. I suggest asking your teacher for a specification of the things you needed to know for each grade and just basically working through it, covering all the D grade topics, then C grade, then B grade etc... I used mymaths to revise each topic and also my CGP guide for more questions. For even more, I turned to textbooks. With Maths, it's quite easy to improve your grade.

I also did Business albeit on AQA and with iGCSE. I got full marks in every exam. I worked my way through a CGP guide and I made pretty little notes with in-jokes and everything (I'm a sad person, what can I say? :L). I checked that I had covered every topic on the specification.

For science, I managed to get full marks in my summer exams by using the specification as a bible, supplemented by my CGP revision guide and my exam board textbook. I made cute little revision notes and I did past papers.

Check out this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTH1OB7dtf4) and this thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1375172) for top tips on studying. Spice up your revision by revising in different places. Don't revise with your ipod, phone etc. and if you know you're going to be distracted, move yourself away to a library.

ANYTHING is possible. I was predicted 8As, 2Bs and 1C at the start of year 10 and moved on to get 8A*s, 2As and 1B ) thanks for that appreciate it]
brian80
Rep:
?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (114)
14.29%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.65%
Changed course offer (35)
4.39%
Clearing (58)
7.27%
Conditional offer (11)
1.38%
Deferral (33)
4.14%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.53%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.13%
Point of Entry (56)
7.02%
Self-release (116)
14.54%
Tariff Point (64)
8.02%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.38%
Withdrawal (23)
2.88%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.65%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.75%

Watched Threads