CharlesJH
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi!
I'm Charles, 14 and I just received my GCSE options letter.
I have to pick 2 options.
I have to pick either Geography or History, and my heart is definitely set on History.

However, I'm not sure what my final option should be (as well as a reservation option).

I have some subjects in mind, and I'm wondering what they are like and how difficult they are.

I'm aspiring to be a Critic, Journalist, Web Developer or a Game Programmer (I love video games, but I hate art and design in general).

I'm hoping to try and get all As or A*s in each subject. I'm top of the class for nearly every subject, and already achieving Level 8 in History.

Anyway, these are the subjects I have in mind (Including core ones), can someone let me in or what they are like, how difficult they are, and if it would help in one of my aspiring careers. I'm also hoping to get an English Baccalaureate.

Cheers!

GCSEs I might study:
English (Core)
Maths (Core)
Science (Core and still unsure whether I'm doing double or triple)
RE (Core)
Spanish (Core)
IT (Core)
History
Business Studies or Computing.
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Business studies is easy, can feel a bit of a dumb subject as some stuff learnt is obvious/general knowledge...

i've heard computing is quite tedious.. but make sure you are doing programming and stuff and not making things on word etc..
James2810
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
English depends on how good you are at it. The coursework is a bit tedious but if done correctly you can get higher than a C.(if you are doing foundation)
I found foundation maths easy and came out with a C and I am doing higher maths this year.
Science I find difficult but in my December mocks it was only the coursework part that pushed my grade down from a C to a D.
RE is a weird one. Many people say that it is an easy GCSE but in year 10 only 2 people in my class got a grade C or above. I got a grade E.

Can't comment on the rest as I haven't done them as GCSE options.
Simmmi02
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
English (Core) - Not too hard to get top grades if you are good at English (I personally love English and find it relatively easy to get A/A* grades)
Maths (Core) - Be prepared to put some work in but otherwise you'll be fine. I slacked in year 10 but with a lot of studying, I am now an A/A* student.
Science - Only take triple science if you are good at science and have a true passion for it. I'm currently taking triple and though I wouldn't say that i'm "regretting it", it's not the easiest subject to get top grades in though if you put in the work you'll do well.
RE (Core) - RE is amazingly easy to do well in!
Spanish (Core) - It depends on the person doing the language to be honest, I wouldn't say that is is easy to do a language but it will definitely require some work to get the best grades. (Currently doing French and hating it but am managing to scrape an A..)
IT (Core) - This subject is not too bad but the coursework is long and tiring! Apart from this, it's alright.
History - I don't take history but all of my friends who have taken it love it so..
Business Studies - Business studies should only be taken if you are seriously interested in studying business in the future.
Computing - I don't take it but I know many people find it a little challenging.
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
English (Core)- Fine as long as you get the essay technique spot on
Maths (Core)- Maths GCSE is laughable in content, you sound confident so I'll assume you can do it
Science (Core and still unsure whether I'm doing double or triple)- Do triple, unis love it!
RE (Core)- Some schools have to do this, it's an easy GCSE that requires minimal effort
Spanish (Core)- Languages look great, they're challenging (and sometimes boring) but its worth it
IT (Core)- I completed my two year IT course to 2 distinctions in like 2 months
History- Didn't do it so can't comment
Business Studies or Computing.- Maybe do geography here if possible, both are quite soft subjects

Good luck
ellawhite4686
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I do RE, or as my school calls it RS. the results are very good in my school with 88% A*/A and only 5% achieving less than a C. id say RS/RE is actually quite easy once you get your head round the key terms etc and so long as you learn what you get taught you should do well.

I also do History, and I love it- I'm going to do it at A-level! however there is more to learn than RS and it is trickier to answer the questions, but if you simply just learn everything, you can get an A, getting an A* means understanding it, but you seem academic, so this shouldn't be a problem.

i also do spanish- i love it and find it very easy, as the language makes sense to me!

id suggest triple science- its what i do! the final unit which you only do if you do triple is by far the most interesting! - it also opens up your options for if you decided on doing any science a levels, as if you do, i recommend triple.

from what I've heard business is easier than computing. neither are available at my school, but my school has ICT as an option, and a lot of people find it tricky, and I've heard computing is meant to be harder. To me, i think business looks more interesting, and more straightforward.

hope this helps!
CharlesJH
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Davelittle)
Science (Core and still unsure whether I'm doing double or triple)- Do triple, unis love it!
I would choose it, but I just did a mock, which determines whether I do double or triple. I really want to do triple.
sjaan
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Don't do Computing.
Davelittle
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CharlesJH)
I would choose it, but I just did a mock, which determines whether I do double or triple. I really want to do triple.
If you don't do as well as you would like appeal to the school with your parents and everything, triple science is great if you want to go to a top uni/top course (medicine/engineering etc.)! Maybe offer to redo another test and make sure to revise really hard for it (CGP revision guides are great)!

Although you haven't got your mark back yet so goodluck and I hope you get what you're aiming for!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (104)
34.44%
Yes - a trusted person (87)
28.81%
No (79)
26.16%
I'm not sure (32)
10.6%

Watched Threads