If you have one gcse which is bad will universities know?

Watch
tablecloth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
basically i have been predicted good grades like A*,A and B but then i have one E grade in business studies and economics which is joined together and my school is giving me the choice to drop the E grade subject so should i drop it or keep doing it and get the bad grade and will the grade show up on any records for like unis and stuff. By the way i'm taking 9 GCSE's if i drop the subject.
ifanclarke
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I personally would drop it if I was you. You would have more time for your other subjects and then you'll have only good grades. I've done all my application for uni but I put all my GCSE grades on there and I'm not sure whether it's allowed to just leave one off. If you come out of school with 9 good GCSE and get good A-Levels, I can't see there being any trouble with getting in to uni.
Don't make you decision completely on what I say though. talk to school, family etc first.
C0balt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As far as I know, every grade needs to be on uni application. A-level grades are far more important than GCSE grades so they care less, but they still expect good grades in the subjects around the course you are taking (though, this is only what I've heard so I don't exactly know myself).

The choice is up to you. If I had completely no idea what the hell was going on and I didn't even enjoy the subject, I would drop it if I were you. As the person above said, you can spend more time on the other subjects to get solid A*s. However, I HATED History when I started my GCSEs (it was in fact international GCSE of Cambridge but whatever, it's similar) and got Ds and things, but now I constantly get A's and am loving the subject.

You should talk to the teachers and parents. When I made a decision on A-levels recently, teachers were a big factor in the decision, especially because my parents have no idea about anything with British education. You might end up like my case in History. You could see a huge jump in grades but you might not. I don't know anything else about you, so can't tell you what to do but this is my 2 cents
flipflap99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
drop it. unis wont discriminate against you, and you can magicly use the extra time to drag those bs into as or higher
Edison'sWords
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to get into the best universities, the E grade might hinder you among other candidates. If you're not enjoying it and you don't think the grade will improve by an awful lot, then drop it. You must declare all of your qualifications on your UCAS form and if UCAS find out that you took a GCSE and didn't declare it, you can get into quite a bit of trouble and if your unis are notified, they may reject you straight away for fear that you have hidden other details in your application too. Loads of people get into great institutions with 9 GCSE grades, its really okay if you drop it! Good luck
yaelimie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tablecloth)
basically i have been predicted good grades like A*,A and B but then i have one E grade in business studies and economics which is joined together and my school is giving me the choice to drop the E grade subject so should i drop it or keep doing it and get the bad grade and will the grade show up on any records for like unis and stuff. By the way i'm taking 9 GCSE's if i drop the subject.
If your school has given you the choice to drop it then it would be good to drop it, although GCSE grades aren't as important as A-level grades when applying for uni. You should check universities and see if they allow 9 GCSEs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (52)
28.89%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.78%
No I am happy with my choice (100)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.78%

Watched Threads