The Student Room Group

BA vs BSc

How much does it matter which one you do?

i have offers from York, Newcastle and surrey for BSc and Exeter for BA.
does it matter whether it is a BA or BSc?
No, this question comes up a lot. The title is just down to convention of the university, Cambridge and Durham like to call theirs BA, others like to say BSc. At universities where they offer both usually the distinction is a BA has a larger number of free choice modules where the BSc has more compulsory modules of maths and stats. At these universities, a BSc is going to be a better preparation if you want to go on to a masters after, but only by nature of the extra maths and stats you are forced to do, you could still choose those modules on a BA.

Any employer or admissions tutor of a masters that cares what content you have done on your degree will ask for your list of modules, they won't just make a judgement off whether it's called BA or BSc. But on TSR people will think its better if you've done a BSc so if bragging points on TSR count then just tell people here your degree is a BSc.
Reply 2
BSc basically contains a lot more maths than a BA with the exception of Oxbridge.

I was told during a talk at a uni open day that doing a BA will limit you if you want to do a masters, you'll basically be excluded from the most competitive courses as a BSc is better prep.
Also a BSc will give a slight advantage in the job market (especially for quantitative jobs).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
BSc basically contains a lot more maths than a BA with the exception of Oxbridge.

I was told during a talk at a uni open day that doing a BA will limit you if you want to do a masters, you'll basically be excluded from the most competitive courses as a BSc is better prep.
Also a BSc will give a slight advantage in the job market (especially for quantitative jobs).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like the poster above has said, it depends on the modules you have taken rather than whether your degree is a BA or a BSc.

E.g. you'd be fine for an economics master's if you had done a BA, and taken 2nd year intermediate econometrics, micro and macro, as well as the necessary mathematics and stats material

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending