The Student Room Group

Should I study A-Level English Literature?

I am currently a year eleven GCSE student studying for 17 exams and about 10 or so GCSE's. I'm very unsure over whether or not choosing English Literature at a-level is safe as a choice for me.

I want to study History at Oxbridge but of course, theres a slim chance as there is for pretty much all other applicants so I'm looking at Durham and other places good for my subject, too. I have already fixed 3 of my choices at a-level which are History (of course), Politics and Philosophy. The only other two options I really have that would be sensible for me to choose would be, maybe, Biology, English Literature, Sociology and Law. I could choose stuff like Photography and so on but I don't want to take things that aren't considered good a-levels.

Whereas I was never a keen reader, I am starting to get into now or have done since year ten (14/15 years old) and have read various things from harry potter, to great expectations to the works of Oscar Wilde who so happens to be my favourite poet and writer in general. I do have an interest in English Literature and am studying it at GCSE and although in top set, have never actually achieved an A* in my written work. Which is worrying and upsetting.

I work extremely hard and always come back to teachers should I be struggling but it just hasn't seemed to work. I think it has something to do with the fact that, before GCSE, we were told as students that English will be very much so about conveying your viewpoints in a relevant and proper manner in written form. This turned out to be a load of rubbish. Like most GCSE subjects, there's a structure and certain comments and use of words tick the boxes. You could write the most relevant things and it all be correct but if it doesn't fit into them categories, you lose marks. Which is of course ridiculous but what can you do.

So, I more or less just want to be advised, what should I think? How should I go about deciding? What should I be ticking off in my head to help me decide?

I'll appreciate all advice given but please be fair and acknowledge that, as I feel so too, English is very much so, a subject that... well... you either have it or you don't (the ability to do it well).

Thanks.
English Lit is a solid, traditional well regarded subject.

Universities regard subjects like Photography and Law as weak A level subjects - not academically rigorous and don't show your ability in anything useful.

Btw. doing any more than 4 subjects at AS and 3 at A2 level is a waste of time. Universities won't be any more impressed or be more likely to make you an offer just because you are doing 'extra' subjects. You also risk affecting your final grades - 3 A/A* grades will always look better than 4 B grades because you overreached yourself.

A level subject guides - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/a_level_subject_guides

Choosing A level subjects - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/choosing_your_subjects
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JayJay-C19
I am not doing over four and never planned to. I was listing what is possible. I'm doing History, Politics, Philosophy and maybe English Lit. thank you anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd definitely recommend it! I didn't get an A* myself at GCSE but managed an A at AS. It goes great with your other subjects and the course you have in mind :smile: as silly as it may sound, you don't have to be a massive reader (not at AS, anyway). It's a very enjoyable subject and not too difficult as long as you're aware of the assessment objectives and know your texts fairly well. The workload also isn't massive in comparison to history (which is also an amazing subject :tongue:), and it's nice to be able to express your opinion and interpretation of a text :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by returnmigrant
English Lit is a solid, traditional well regarded subject.

Universities regard subjects like Photography and Law as weak A level subjects - not academically rigorous and don't show your ability in anything useful.

Btw. doing any more than 4 subjects at AS and 3 at A2 level is a waste of time. Universities won't be any more impressed or be more likely to make you an offer just because you are doing 'extra' subjects. You also risk affecting your final grades - 3 A/A* grades will always look better than 4 B grades because you overreached yourself.

A level subject guides - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/a_level_subject_guides

Choosing A level subjects - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/choosing_your_subjects

I am not doing over four and never planned to. I was listing what is possible. I'm doing History, Politics, Philosophy and maybe English Lit. thank you anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
I'd definitely recommend it! I didn't get an A* myself at GCSE but managed an A at AS. It goes great with your other subjects and the course you have in mind :smile: as silly as it may sound, you don't have to be a massive reader (not at AS, anyway). It's a very enjoyable subject and not too difficult as long as you're aware of the assessment objectives and know your texts fairly well. The workload also isn't massive in comparison to history (which is also an amazing subject :tongue:), and it's nice to be able to express your opinion and interpretation of a text :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest