The Student Room Group

M3 Vertical circles

I'm slightly confused by the wording here -
'A particle of mass 50g is attached to one end of a light inextensible string of radius 75cm which is fixed in a vertical plane. The particle is hanging rest when it is hit with an impulse of INs horizontally causing it to start to move in a vertical circle. Find the value of I if the particle just reaches the top of the circle.'
If the particle 'just reaches the top of the circle', does it mean that the string goes slack from then on?
Original post by yl95
I'm slightly confused by the wording here -
'A particle of mass 50g is attached to one end of a light inextensible string of radius 75cm which is fixed in a vertical plane. The particle is hanging rest when it is hit with an impulse of INs horizontally causing it to start to move in a vertical circle. Find the value of I if the particle just reaches the top of the circle.'
If the particle 'just reaches the top of the circle', does it mean that the string goes slack from then on?

I guess the tension in the string would be zero when the particle just reaches the top of the circle.
Original post by Khallil
I guess the tension in the string would be zero when the particle just reaches the top of the circle.

Forgive me for sounding stupid but why?
Original post by yl95
Forgive me for sounding stupid but why?

I surmised that much from the wording of the question; If the particle "just reaches the top of the circle", it only has enough kinetic energy to reach the top while being able to sustain circular motion. After this point, the particle falls freely under gravity.
Original post by Khallil
I surmised that much from the wording of the question; If the particle "just reaches the top of the circle", it only has enough kinetic energy to reach the top while being able to sustain circular motion. After this point, the particle falls freely under gravity.

Yeah, I thought so, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by yl95
Yeah, I thought so, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. :smile:

No prob :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest