username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am a mature, international student applying to uni this fall. I really like the sound of Edinburgh and I thought I was set on it. But then I was reading some old threads last night and it seems like the university is overrun with Americans and we're something of a joke there. I'm not interested in the university because of its popularity with Americans, but because the course sounds excellent and the city looks gorgeous. But now I'm having second thoughts based on previous threads. Will I be looked down upon just because I'm American? Is the university just full of other internationals? I'm very torn on my feelings right now. Any advice?
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd suggest that you should still go for Edinburgh! There are a lot of American students and a very large amount of international students compared to most other universities but I would consider the cultural and ethnic mix an advantage as oppose to a disadvantage - the diversity is one of the main attractions for me. There's also lots of students from all over the UK: lots of English, Irish, some Welsh and apparently a lot of Scottish students too (although I don't quite know where they're all hiding). Good luck in your decision.
username1221364
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dylankj96)
I'd suggest that you should still go for Edinburgh! There are a lot of American students and a very large amount of international students compared to most other universities but I would consider the cultural and ethnic mix an advantage as oppose to a disadvantage - the diversity is one of the main attractions for me. There's also lots of students from all over the UK: lots of English, Irish, some Welsh and apparently a lot of Scottish students too (although I don't quite know where they're all hiding). Good luck in your decision.
Thanks! I really like how it sounds. I was a bit put off by the course structure at first because it's very similar to how we do things here, but I'm interested in classical studies and I could take modules in that there.
kalidurga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm an American student just finishing my undergraduate here. I've never been made fun of or looked down upon for being American, nor have I met that many other Americans during my stay here. I don't have any American friends that I met through university. My choice not to live in Pollock Halls dictated a lot of that, but as a mature student you will also be able to bypass that. The community here is extremely international, I've met people from nearly every corner of the globe. The saturation of Americans is nowhere near as high as St. Andrews, though it may vary from course to course.
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Coffeetime)
Thanks! I really like how it sounds. I was a bit put off by the course structure at first because it's very similar to how we do things here, but I'm interested in classical studies and I could take modules in that there.
Exactly, you can study other subjects that you like at university level while still studying your main subject. If I get an offer, I'd love to study philosophy along with my main subject. Oh, and Edinburgh would be perfect for you if you're interested in classical studies; both the university and the city.
username1221364
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dylankj96)
Exactly, you can study other subjects that you like at university level while still studying your main subject. If I get an offer, I'd love to study philosophy along with my main subject. Oh, and Edinburgh would be perfect for you if you're interested in classical studies; both the university and the city.
It sounds like it! My main subject will be Italian, but I'm interested in learning Latin too, and I could do that there.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am a mature, international student applying to uni this fall. I really like the sound of Edinburgh and I thought I was set on it. But then I was reading some old threads last night and it seems like the university is overrun with Americans and we're something of a joke there. I'm not interested in the university because of its popularity with Americans, but because the course sounds excellent and the city looks gorgeous. But now I'm having second thoughts based on previous threads. Will I be looked down upon just because I'm American? Is the university just full of other internationals? I'm very torn on my feelings right now. Any advice?
I'll be honest in saying that I've heard from people that a lot of Americans go to Edinburgh and they're a tiny bit looked down at but, I think that the only reason this is because, in some courses like American History or Scottish History, there are A LOT of American students and they're noticeable.

Obviously, the people I've talked to did American History and Scottish History. However, personally, I've only met one or two Americans in my courses and apart from that, one other person during Freshers' week so it really depends on the course. That's to say that, I've gone 2 years without meeting more than a handful of Americans.

Most importantly, it's genuinely not a problem what your background is! I guess some people think it's an interesting fact but I think that they think this because it's noticeable: you see a lot of Asian students in a group and they're already noticeable so, if you see a group of Americans, it might be the same especially if they're all really vocal in a certain class.

Regarding Italian, I have a few friends doing it and so I can ask them about their opinions on it!
username1221364
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'll be honest in saying that I've heard from people that a lot of Americans go to Edinburgh and they're a tiny bit looked down at but, I think that the only reason this is because, in some courses like American History or Scottish History, there are A LOT of American students and they're noticeable.

Obviously, the people I've talked to did American History and Scottish History. However, personally, I've only met one or two Americans in my courses and apart from that, one other person during Freshers' week so it really depends on the course. That's to say that, I've gone 2 years without meeting more than a handful of Americans.

Most importantly, it's genuinely not a problem what your background is! I guess some people think it's an interesting fact but I think that they think this because it's noticeable: you see a lot of Asian students in a group and they're already noticeable so, if you see a group of Americans, it might be the same especially if they're all really vocal in a certain class.

Regarding Italian, I have a few friends doing it and so I can ask them about their opinions on it!
Wow. I can't imagine going abroad and taking American history. Haha. Scottish history sounds awesome though.

Thanks!
MartinMorrison
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have never experienced anyone being looked down at for coming from a certain country. There are so many nationalities here that it is mind blowing. It just stops being a factor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (47)
28.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.59%
No I am happy with my choice (90)
55.21%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.36%

Watched Threads