Cyber bullying is wrong?

Watch this thread
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So the head of the police department issued a statement few weeks ago saying cyber bullying is a serious issue that needs to be addressed here as -many- people in the uk end up suiciding due to this...

so is this madness? Why can't people take things less seriously on the internet?
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Because it's clearly too hard for the victim to block someone.
Simplythebest...
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
We live in a nanny cotton wool state

Your choice to go on the Internet, your choice to run the risk of cyber bullying tbh.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This attitude that it's just the internet is ridiculous. Imagine if it was applied to any other means of communication. "Well I'm sorry you're upset about that menacing comment, but IT IS the TELEPHONE" or "for **** sake, who cares that this letter states they're going to kill your family, it's the goddamn post!"

The internet is a means of communication and the same standard of decency should be expected. Instead of telling people to be less sensitive, how about telling people not to bully ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Simplythebest...)
We live in a nanny cotton wool state

Your choice to go on the Internet, your choice to run the risk of cyber bullying tbh.
Seems a real victim blaming attitude.

Also, doesn't deal with the actual root cause of the problem.
RedArrow
Rep:
The root cause is because the "victim" was playing/being stupid or silly.

And comparing internet with any other means of communication is a dumb comment. In case of a telephone/letter you actually know quite a bit abt the person you are contacting.

Can the same be said for internet as well?

If you are sensitive that's okay to an extend... But it's another thing to do setting stupid and paste it on the interwebz expecting a positive reaction.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Cyber bullying is very different to random insults over the Internet. It is targeted, long-term malice that can make someone's life a living hell. It's not necessarily just online either, it can refer to slightly more low-tech things like text messages too. It is just as bad as any other form of bullying but unfortunately it's a form that gets much less attention. That's what needs to change.

(Original post by Silver Arrows)
Because it's clearly too hard for the victim to block someone.
Block an account, the bully creates another. And with SMS of course, there's no ability to block. Bullies often gang up on victims too which makes blocking people impractical.

(Original post by Simplythebest...)
Nobody should run the risk of being bullied. Ever.

(Original post by RedArrow)
No.

And comparing internet with any other means of communication is a dumb comment. In case of a telephone/letter you actually know quite a bit abt the person you are contacting.
Cyber bullies tend to be known to the victim. Again there is a humongous difference between random internet trolling and online bullying, the latter is far more targeted and generally a far worse experience to go though. Comparing the two things is apples and oranges.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

If you are sensitive that's okay to an extend... But it's another thing to do setting stupid and paste it on the interwebz expecting a positive reaction.
You know people aren't only cyberbullied for doing/posting something silly, right? But even if they were, that doesn't justify it.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

If you've got a problem with what I said, quote me instead of being cowardly and posting it where you think I won't see.

Not necessarily, prank phone calls and threatening letters all can happen to people you don't know well. What does how well you know the person have to do with it? Do you flip off strangers in the street and shout obscenities just because you don't know them?

Even if you think someone's being stupid that doesn't give you the right to bully them. This thread just reeks of bullies trying to justify their own terribly abhorrent actions and personalities
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
This attitude that it's just the internet is ridiculous. Imagine if it was applied to any other means of communication. "Well I'm sorry you're upset about that menacing comment, but IT IS the TELEPHONE" or "for **** sake, who cares that this letter states they're going to kill your family, it's the goddamn post!"

The internet is a means of communication and the same standard of decency should be expected. Instead of telling people to be less sensitive, how about telling people not to bully ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you actually go about enforcing this?

There are plenty of signs enforcing speed limits on roads, but those are broken by loads of people every day. It's much more difficult to prosecute someone for a comment on the Internet than most other forms of communication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
Cyber bullies tend to be known to the victim. Again there is a humongous difference between random internet trolling and online bullying, the latter is far more targeted and generally a far worse experience to go though. Comparing the two things is apples and oranges.
Yeah just wanted to emphasise this. Just calling someone an idiot or something online isn't cyberbullying, cyberbullying is using technology to continually harass someone..
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
What is cyber bullying?

Is it when young girls go on YouTube and start VLOGGING and then people write comments saying "Your ugly (sic)"?
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majmuh24)
How would you actually go about enforcing this?

There are plenty of signs enforcing speed limits on roads, but those are broken by loads of people every day. It's much more difficult to prosecute someone for a comment on the Internet than most other forms of communication.

Posted from TSR Mobile
IP tracking, police to follow up legitimate complaints, websites with anon functions hold the IPs of anonymous commentors and are forced to reveal them to investigate if there's been a complaint to the police, and it to be handled like any other allegation of harassment and assault (assault is actually words, battery is physical, assault is just making someone feel threatened which can happen over the internet)
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It depends on the intensity, not just saying something like "haha your views are ****" but threatening someone to beat them up or track them down would be scary. People need to be more aware not to disclose personal information, not take it too seriously like displaying their whole life up (unless they want it) and be aware of internet security.

But bullies will exist everywhere- just because on the internet it doesn't make it less significant.
interstitial
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
IP tracking, police to follow up legitimate complaints, websites with anon functions hold the IPs of anonymous commentors and are forced to reveal them to investigate if there's been a complaint to the police, and it to be handled like any other allegation of harassment and assault (assault is actually words, battery is physical, assault is just making someone feel threatened which can happen over the internet)
What if they use a secure browser like TOR or any other similar software? The fact remains that it is a lot easier to cover your tracks on the Internet than any other forms of communication. That could go against the Data Protection Act, so doesn't really seem like a viable solution.

Also, what do you consider as bullying? Is it just a few comments saying someone is stupid, repeated behaviour of this type or full on death threats through anon sites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RedArrow
Rep:
(Original post by Dez)
Cyber bullying is very different to random insults over the Internet. It is targeted, long-term malice that can make someone's life a living hell. It's not necessarily just online either, it can refer to slightly more low-tech things like text messages too. It is just as bad as any other form of bullying but unfortunately it's a form that gets much less attention. That's what needs to change.

Block an account, the bully creates another. And with SMS of course, there's no ability to block. Bullies often gang up on victims too which makes blocking people impractical.

Nobody should run the risk of being bullied. Ever.

No.

Thanks, I didn't know most of the stuff you said until now. Quite clearly I'm no cyber bully then =D

(Original post by shadowdweller)
You know people aren't only cyberbullied for doing/posting something silly, right? But even if they were, that doesn't justify it.

Tbh I didn't know that =p

If you insult (critique) someone for doing something stupid, they will not do it again. The stupider it is; the more blunt you should be.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by majmuh24)
What if they use a secure browser like TOR or any other similar software? The fact remains that it is a lot easier to cover your tracks on the Internet than any other forms of communication. That could go against the Data Protection Act, so doesn't really seem like a viable solution.

Also, what do you consider as bullying? Is it just a few comments saying someone is stupid, repeated behaviour of this type or full on death threats through anon sites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty sure the police still have ways they can get hold of taht information. I don't care about breaching Data Protection, if you're going to bully someone, you deserve the full force of the law

I said above, it's the repeatedly targeting and using technology to harass someone. Someone just calling someone an idiot once or whatever isn't bullying. Repeatedly harassing them is. I've had instances where I've been repeatedly harassed by perverts as well as just unpleasant people, and it is ****ing horrible. Now I'm someone who can handle myself, so I can only imagine how unnerving it must be for someone who is perhaps less confident or quieter
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thanks, I didn't know most of the stuff you said until now. Quite clearly I'm no cyber bully then =D
Hence awareness needs to be raised. :yes: Hopefully the police can help in that regard.
interstitial
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Pretty sure the police still have ways they can get hold of taht information. I don't care about breaching Data Protection, if you're going to bully someone, you deserve the full force of the law

I said above, it's the repeatedly targeting and using technology to harass someone. Someone just calling someone an idiot once or whatever isn't bullying. Repeatedly harassing them is. I've had instances where I've been repeatedly harassed by perverts as well as just unpleasant people, and it is ****ing horrible. Now I'm someone who can handle myself, so I can only imagine how unnerving it must be for someone who is perhaps less confident or quieter
I don't think so, there's some seriously weird **** that goes on there and since it's still operating, I don't think that the police can do much about it.

So you're saying it's OK to break one law to enforce another?

Well, what if it was just small comments which weren't offensive. I understand that pervy comments may sound kind of creepy, but unless there is any follow up, I hardly think someone deserves to be prosecuted for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Also something that needs to be pointed out before the FREE SPEECH!!!! brigade come in - there is a massive difference between having a controversial opinion and voicing it reasonably, and deliberately saying something with the intent to offend. The first is fine, the second is not. If you can't voice your opinion in a polite manner, you're clearly socially inept and should probably get that looked at
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads