The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades Needed for Medicine

Hi I'm a bit confused about the GCSE requirements for medicine. I've been told that you need 6 A*s by one teacher and another teacher said my predicted grades were pretty good for medicine. The university websites don't say anything about getting loads of A*s so I'm confused.

These are my predicted grades by the way.

English Language A*
English Literature A (got an A in mocks, aiming for an A*)
Mathematics A
Science A
History A*
R.S A (got an A in mocks, aiming for an A*)
French A* (probably can't get an A*, I'm not very good at the listening paper)
German A
Textiles A

I also have 3 A grades from GCSEs I've already taken.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by JadeMay
Hi I'm a bit confused about the GCSE requirements for medicine. I've been told that you need 6 A*s by one teacher and another teacher said my predicted grades were pretty good for medicine. The university websites don't say anything about getting loads of A*s so I'm confused.

These are my predicted grades by the way.

English Language A*
English Literature A (got an A in mocks, aiming for an A*)
Mathematics A
Science A
History A*
R.S A (got an A in mocks, aiming for an A*)
French A* (probably can't get an A*, I'm not very good at the listening paper)
German A
Textiles A

I also have 3 A grades from GCSEs I've already taken.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I think that for the top medical universities, you should obtain at least 8 A stars and it is highly preferable that these were in the sciences as well; especially chemistry!
Reply 2
Help?
Reply 3
As far as I know, most universities dont depend a lot on the GCSEs as they do on A levels and also on your performance in the UKCAT and how well is your personal statement. However, Oxford depend on the GCSEs and as I read, some students from oxford said that 7 A*s would be good enough
Reply 4
With all due respect, by the looks of it, you grades reflect more of a literacy-based person, rather than scientific. You're predicted/aiming for A*s in History, English, R.S., but not in Science and Mathematics. Nonetheless they're still really good - way better than mine!

Quick Reply

Latest