Any advice for insurance choice? (maths/physics)

Watch
GoodDay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay, I'm a little unsure as to what to put as my insurance, these are my offers:

Cambridge, Maths with Physics, A*AA 1 in STEP II & III
Imperial, Maths With Mathematical Physics, A*A*A 2 in STEP II or III
Imperial, Theoretical Physics, A*AA
Durham, NatSci, A*AA
Edinburgh, Mathematical Physics, ABB

Cambridge is the firm but I'm swinging a lot more from physics to maths since I made my choices so will probably change to Maths if I meet the offer. Since I'm statistically unlikely to get the offer, the insurance needs to be good, here are the pros and cons of each: Maths at Imperial is to high an offer but is actually my second favourite of the choices (after Cambridge); TheoPhys at Imperial has sooo many practicals, which I hate, and possibly not enough maths; Durham has the most flexibility in the course which is ideal but would be my least fav place to live; Edinburgh's offer would make me more comfortable and it would be my favourite place to live of the three but is the least reputable. Any advice would be handy especially from people with experience. Thanks in advance
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The chances of you getting 3,3 in II and III are hopefully low for you so I'd insure Imperial Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't get too hung up on league tables. Edinburgh has an excellent reputation, you like it, and it's your lowest offer. Seems like a shoo-in.
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think there's much difference in reputation between Durham and Edinburgh, so if that's your only reason for picking Durham over Edinburgh, go for Edinburgh.

Speaking as someone who made a bad choice of insurance (same grades as my firm but hoping they'd be more flexible), your insurance is not your second favourite, it's your backup if things go unexpectedly badly but still a somewhere you'd be happy going. That sounds like Edinburgh for you. Trust me you'll be a lot calmer in the run up to results day knowing you're going to go to a uni/city you like rather than thinking 'why the hell did I do this, someone should have slapped me and made me pick a proper insurance' which is what I was like.

To summarise, insure Edinburgh and work your butt off to meet your Cambridge offer.
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
I don't think there's much difference in reputation between Durham and Edinburgh, so if that's your only reason for picking Durham over Edinburgh, go for Edinburgh.

Speaking as someone who made a bad choice of insurance (same grades as my firm but hoping they'd be more flexible), your insurance is not your second favourite, it's your backup if things go unexpectedly badly but still a somewhere you'd be happy going. That sounds like Edinburgh for you. Trust me you'll be a lot calmer in the run up to results day knowing you're going to go to a uni/city you like rather than thinking 'why the hell did I do this, someone should have slapped me and made me pick a proper insurance' which is what I was like.

To summarise, insure Edinburgh and work your butt off to meet your Cambridge offer.
You said what I was thinking, only you said it better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is little point in having an Insurance so close to your Firm - if you choose anywhere else other than Edinburgh you risk having no University place at all should you miss top grades. And for places like Cambridge and Imperial retakes/reapplying will not be an option as they won't accept 3 year A levels. So, you do have to consider the reality of Results Day and exactly what you want out of this process - do you want to go to one of the best Universities in the world (Edinburgh) or are you being blinded by the silly myth that 'the others want higher grades so they must be 'better'??

Listen to Justmyluck - this is advice born out of painful experience! If you want a really stressful exam period and a nail biting July/August, picking an Insurance that is too close to your Firm is the best way to achieve it.
username638250
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I disagree with the above - if you managed to receive an offer from Cambridge then I'm sure an A* in FM would be pretty much a given and getting a 3,3 should be unlikely given that you've done plenty of practice. The rest aren't really in the same league as Cambridge for Maths. I'm sure the other A would be doable - you must have had good enough UMS to get in.
username638250
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
There is little point in having an Insurance so close to your Firm - if you choose anywhere else other than Edinburgh you risk having no University place at all should you miss top grades. And for places like Cambridge and Imperial retakes/reapplying will not be an option as they won't accept 3 year A levels. So, you do have to consider the reality of Results Day and exactly what you want out of this process - do you want to go to one of the best Universities in the world (Edinburgh) or are you being blinded by the silly myth that 'the others want higher grades so they must be 'better'??

Listen to Justmyluck - this is advice born out of painful experience! If you want a really stressful exam period and a nail biting July/August, picking an Insurance that is too close to your Firm is the best way to achieve it.
But Imperial and Cambridge are better than the rest for the OP's chosen degree. Imperial want a 2 in one of II and III, much easier than Cambridge's offer (1, 1 in II+ III) and A*A*A for someone who got an offer for Cambridge Maths should be easily achievable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.9%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (16)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (19)
18.63%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (11)
10.78%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (33)
32.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (18)
17.65%

Watched Threads