The Student Room Group

If you don't go to Oxford or Cambridge then your Uni is crap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChemistBoy
I'm guessing you have pretty much zero life experience. It's certainly clear that you haven't worked for a large corporate, at least not in any meaningful capacity.

the world doesnt owe you a living or spoon feed you a-level revision. if your not at oxbridge your life will not be in the fast lane*. Maybe you have worked for some beta companies where russel group non stem grads go

* unless you do the one in a million thing and become a celebrity or become a really really successful entrepreneur
Original post by Picnic1
I most great British comedians

You might care to look at the Footlights alumni from circa 1950 to circa 1990

http://footlights.org/alumni?start=5
Original post by Picnic1
I feel so sorry for Shakespeare, nearly every single member of every great rock group that there has ever been (including Pink Floyd and Radiohead who are from Cambridge and Oxford respectively but didn't study there- one Radiohead member might have), most great British comedians (before the 1980s anyway), most well known artists.

Their 'University of Life' was so crap that nobody's ever heard of them!

Ever considered that studying at Oxford or Cambridge would have contained some of these natural talents too much for it to have been useful to them? Some play the fool but are intellectually very acute.

Pink Floyd and Radiohead (and many other artists, entertainers and important folk) seem to be good examples of the 'university effect' - cities and towns that have important, dynamic universities often seem to create a culture around them that stimulates all kinds of people and activities. The Oxbridge effect goes beyond the students who study there and the staff who work there.
Original post by James222
the world doesnt owe you a living or spoon feed you a-level revision. if your not at oxbridge your life will not be in the fast lane*.

There are many oxbridge grads not in the fast lane, there are many non-oxbridge grads in top exec position in major companies in the UK too. I see little correlation because the corporate world isn't about resting on your laurels it is about going out and getting what you want in your career. I know plenty of people now in senior exec positions in my company who have displayed that drive to get there without an oxbridge education.

Simply put, if you have got a position within a company it is what you do there that matters, not what you did in the past. Non-oxbridge grads in such positions shouldn't feel at all inferior to oxbridge grads as they have secured that initial position and they can be successful if they take the right steps to ensure that (plenty of self-help books around to help you climb up the greasy pole).

Maybe you have worked for some beta companies where russel group non stem grads go

Or maybe I work for a large multi-national corporate household name in an office full of oxbridge and other russell group grads (as well as graduates from other universities) including lots & lots of STEM grads (many with PhDs inlcuding myself).

I've been working in that world for too long to be impressed with where someone got their degree from. I, like many other middle managers, are interested in results in post and I've seen little correlation between performance and institution of study in my work area with recent hires.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Pink Floyd and Radiohead (and many other artists, entertainers and important folk) seem to be good examples of the 'university effect' - cities and towns that have important, dynamic universities often seem to create a culture around them that stimulates all kinds of people and activities. The Oxbridge effect goes beyond the students who study there and the staff who work there.

But in Radiohead's case it was actually fuel to feed their anger- they hated Oxford. And if they hadn't had the talent and persistence to become great musicians they'd sadly be regarded as nobodies in Oxford where you're either student or tourist or 'others'.

There might be a university effect in the world in general though. But not Oxbridge related - relatively few bands have been based around there in comparison to the age of those places. The university effect is more likely to apply in cities with much larger centres where the larger scene allows an anonymity to hone skills in gigs at many venues rather than just a few. It's more regarded as an American thing to be absolutely tied to the institution itself.
Original post by Picnic1
But in Radiohead's case it was actually fuel to feed their anger- they hated Oxford. And if they hadn't had the talent and persistence to become great musicians they'd sadly be regarded as nobodies in Oxford where you're either student or tourist or 'others'.

There might be a university effect in the world in general though. But not Oxbridge related - relatively few bands have been based around there in comparison to the age of those places. The university effect is more likely to apply in cities with much larger centres where the larger scene allows an anonymity to hone skills in gigs at many venues rather than just a few. It's more regarded as an American thing to be absolutely tied to the institution itself.

That may be true of pop music, but Oxford and Cambridge have disproportionate numbers of "townie" classical performers and I suspect the same is true regarding folk and possibly jazz.

Morris dancing as it is known today, was virtually created in Oxford. The Headington Quarrymen were one of the few "folk" morris dancing groups to survive the Victorian purge of traditional working class fun.

The Oxford Bach Choir and the Oxford Philomusica are the leading townie classical assembles but there are many others. If you just look at how much non-university music is put on every wek in Oxford and compare that with say Swindon or Bradford, both of which are bigger.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

This last seems too much a reach,or anyway for the Oxbridge effect existing as distinct from the university effect. People have to be born and brought up somewhere and it is unsurprising that towns of this size have produced a successful band apiece over a >30 year period. We don't need an explanatory circumstance beyond city size.

The more surprising is that (I think) neither university has done so. I mean, I can't think of a major act of which it can be said that it was "formed at the university of Oxford/Cambridge" while I can think of loads for other universities, and that without my being much into music. 'Presence of a university' is very plausibly an influence on the music scene in a city. 'Presence of an ancient university' I think adds nothing useful beyond this.
Original post by cambio wechsel
This last seems too much a reach,or anyway for the Oxbridge effect existing as distinct from the university effect. People have to be born and brought up somewhere and it is unsurprising that towns of this size have produced a successful band apiece over a >30 year period. We don't need an explanatory circumstance beyond city size.

The more surprising is that (I think) neither university has done so. I mean, I can't think of a major act of which it can be said that it was "formed at the university of Oxford/Cambridge" while I can think of loads for other universities, and that without my being much into music. 'Presence of a university' is very plausibly an influence on the music scene in a city. 'Presence of an ancient university' I think adds nothing useful beyond this.

Hmmm. Maybe that's all correct. :beard: Maybe though it depends what sort of music you're talking about. Popular music is frequently a working class phenomenon - they invent the trends and new sounds. It's no coincidence that virtually all the most famous bands and musical movements in the UK emerged from the big industrial cities and London. I also don't think it's a total coincidence that the two most famous 'Oxbridge bands' (using that phrase even though they didn't have much connection with the universities) both produced badly depressed music. :lol:

I think what long-running academic towns do have is a lot of 'peripheral culture' - they have venues, they contain lots of switched-on people who enjoy the arts and they tend to be more experimental. However, the downside of them is that the younger people who start out there tend to migrate to London and other places once they have graduated or post-graduated.
Reply 168
If you're not CEO at Goldman & Sachs by the time you're 25 then you have failed your life and should proceed to throw yourself off a cliff. [don't do this]

Ahh I do love all or nothing thinking, the short-sightedness of a polarised view of the world. Efficient but deadly in the wrong hands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending