The Student Room Group

My sister is a gold digger

My sister is a gold digger.

She didn't go out with anyone until now (she's 19) and now she's going out with this guy who earns £50,000 a month for advertising video games.

He did terribly at school, has no real skills and is really ugly.

I don't know how to feel.

It stings a lot because I earn no money, and my sister makes me feel bad about the possibility that I might have to claim benefits for my mental illness, to the point that I'm considering homelessness rather than claiming benefits.

Yet she plans to live off this guy who earns £50,000 a month for doing something of questionable value.

I did very well at school and am good looking, but have a serious mental health condition which prevents me from earning any money.

Scroll to see replies

How good-looking... no homo.

I'm sorry, but that pun was just asking to be made.
£50,000 for advertising games seems like way too much.
Well you haven't really shown that she is a gold digger
Reply 4
That's how shiz goes down... it's an option for some girls who wish to live like that.

I got two sisters, both are very pretty girls and I grew up watching them chase footballers about. One realised it was a daft thing to do, the other kept with it.

One is getting married next month to a top guy, he and her have great jobs, live an amazing life in Australia and she is so happy.

The other is a single Mum cos she ended up getting pregnant with one of the footballers, struggles to find a decent man, is getting older now and whilst she's a teacher, she is pretty depressed and I don't see it changing.

If a girl want to be a rich guys plaything, then you can't stop them. But ultimately they get traded in for a younger/better model at some point.
Original post by nohomo

She didn't go out with anyone until now (she's 19) and now she's going out with this guy who earns £50,000 a month for advertising video games.

It stings a lot because I earn no money, and my sister makes me feel bad about the possibility that I might have to claim benefits for my mental illness, to the point that I'm considering homelessness rather than claiming benefits.

Yet she plans to live off this guy who earns £50,000 a month for doing something of questionable value.

I did very well at school and am good looking, but have a serious mental health condition which prevents me from earning any money.

So what's the point of this thread? Are you jealous or something?
Reply 6
Original post by MrSupernova
So what's the point of this thread? Are you jealous or something?

I'm pissed off that this is how the world works
Reply 7
Really don't get what you're looking for here. No doubt your sister is happy, and her partner can take care of himself and is likely happy. The only person being bitter and up in arms about the whole thing is you. What exactly are they doing wrong?

It is very, very daft to choose homelessness over benefits that are there for you. I cannot understand why on earth you would think that's a good idea. Amazingly, the benefits system is working when people such as you use it. So freaking use it, don't reject the privilege you have of having access to that money, accept it and appreciate it.

Also, if you're willing and able, very few mental 'conditions' (so vague, makes it really hard to respond to this) will stop you entirely from even being able to earn... or so I believe? You really have to be clearer to get any actual response to this, no-one is really going to give you instant sympathy just yet, I feel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Tell your sis 'you go girl'.
can she mine gold ores and smith them into rings? but you need to be level 40 for that...
Stop being bitter and try to get help for yourself. Stop worrying about what other people are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Luckily he's moving to America in a year or two, and she's locked into a course for a fair few years, so the relationship could die.
Reply 12
50k a month! Why the **** am I going uni :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Precious Illusions
Tell your sis 'you go girl'.

Why? For making me guilty about the possibility that I might have to claim benefits?
Reply 14
Original post by nohomo
I'm pissed off that this is how the world works

Unless you've successfully performed plastic surgery on your own face (as opposed to simply cutting off your nose to spite your sister), to derive any sense of entitlement by virtue of being "good looking" renders you a hypocrite.
Original post by nohomo

Reply 16
Original post by marcus2001

Which part don't you believe?
Original post by Silver Arrows
£50,000 for advertising games seems like way too much.

Then you're really underestimating the gaming industry.
Reply 18
Original post by nohomo
Why? For making me guilty about the possibility that I might have to claim benefits?

Err. How is she making you feel anything? No-one can make you feel anything, particularly in a situation such as this where she clearly has no intent make you feel guilty.
Should she suffer just to make you feel less unable? No.
It sounds like you have some real embedded hatred towards your sister that you need to sort out.

Original post by Tom_green_day

50k a month is legit for simply being involved in advertising games, with no quals/skills?
Original post by Tom_green_day

£50,000 a MONTH? £600,000 a year. Just seems way too excessive. Perhaps £50k a year but not a month. That's bloody footballers wages; £12,500 a week :eek:

Latest