The Student Room Group

Does anyone else dislike reading?

I don't mean seminar reading or anything like that, because I'm pretty sure most people don't exactly 'enjoy' seminar reading, or maybe I'm wrong, idk? But what I mean is when people read books in their spare time, I can't do it because it's just so boring. I've spent quite a lot of money over the years buying novels that I think I could read, only to shelve them after 2 or 3 chapters, never to read again. I'll admit that I do like reading comic books, but most readers don't consider that real reading, mainly because it's mainly just pictures. I used to think that it was only older people that read a lot, but now some of my friends buy and read books in less than a weekO.o Even the Hunger Games, which was quite popular among young people, I couldn't read more than a few pages, although I really liked the film. It could be because I'm a really slow reader. When I did English Lit at A level (idk why either:confused:), I had to read books like The Bell Jar and The Great Gatsby, which most people say are quite good. I only finished them because I had to for my course, and only after about a month, or maybe more. I did one coursework piece on American Psycho because I liked the film, but gave up about a tenth of the way through, and just re-watched the film (I still got a B:cool:). I also hate the stereotype that you must be dumb to not like reading. Some of my friends love reading and, with all due respect, I'm doing much better than them. I'm in my first choice university doing a challenging course, and I worked really hard on my A-levels to get there. I would usually say it's just different strokes for different folks, but ever since I was a kid it was like 'you don't like reading!?? You must be doing it wrong.' Does anyone else dislike reading or find it boring? If you do like reading, do you think it's just a hobby that not everyone is in to, or is there something wrong with me?
I love reading but I never get that much time now because of exams and whatnot. Anyway it's not a hobby everyone is in to a few of my friends don't like to read either :smile:
I'm planning to go to uni to study Lit and Creative Writing and I don't read much. There just aren't that many good books if you look at them both as a story and as literature. I mainly stick to Bill Bryson and select sci-fi as a result.
I love reading but have a low attention span so find it very difficult to concentrate and end up zoning out :/ So it takes me months to finish even short books.

But I know plenty of people who don't like reading. It's not for everyone!
I hate reading and anyone who does it :eviltongue:
Reply 5
SOmetimes
No hate.

I know some people dislike it because it's where the Duchess of Cambridge was from. But hey, Ricky Gervais was born there as well!
Reply 7
I almost never read but listen to podcasts and audio books instead.
Reply 8
I read a lot, but I'm the only person in my family who does. My parents don't like reading novels, so I don't think it's strange at all.

I read as a hobby, though recently I've sort of gone off novels, since I read so many of them for my course. Within the last year I really started getting into graphic novels and comics, so I read more of them for pleasure.
I enjoy reading. I read whenever I can and usually carry 3 books in my bag so I can switch depending on my mood lol. It's not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with that. I took English Lit for A level and had to read fiction for 2 years. It was horrible. I now read purely non fiction but I have started to ease myself back in.

Quick Reply

Latest