The Student Room Group

Reaction time experiment

Hi,
We just started the topic 'nervous system' and did an experiment yesterday in which we had to measure reaction times using a ruler and letting it drop - you might know it.
Anyways, we have to do the write-up and my teacher said we have to think of the aim. Isn't it just to measure the reaction times or to investigate reflexes or something like that? I feel like these far too obvious and like there's some more exact aim hidden somewhere, anyone help me?

Have a good day and may the odds be ever in your favour.
Reply 1
Original post by octoberrain
Hi,
We just started the topic 'nervous system' and did an experiment yesterday in which we had to measure reaction times using a ruler and letting it drop - you might know it.
Anyways, we have to do the write-up and my teacher said we have to think of the aim. Isn't it just to measure the reaction times or to investigate reflexes or something like that? I feel like these far too obvious and like there's some more exact aim hidden somewhere, anyone help me?

Well, it is used to measure hand-eye attentiveness as well. I don't think there is a hidden aim. The test is quite simple, and really it is used to improve reaction rate.

Where does Hunger Games come in?
Reply 2
When is your written exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Dynamo123
Well, it is used to measure hand-eye attentiveness as well. I don't think there is a hidden aim. The test is quite simple, and really it is used to improve reaction rate.

Thanks a lot!!!
As for the HG thing, t's just the automatic signature:tongue:

Reply 4
Original post by smasher
When is your written exam?

It's just normal class work, nothing much to do with an exam - it's actually GCSE stuff but our teacher wanted to start it in Year 9.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dynamo123

A) Who said anything about improvements?

B) What is a reaction rate?
Reply 6
Original post by Vousden
A) Who said anything about improvements?

B) What is a reaction rate?

I think he means the reaction time and that you get quicker after every try - well, you're supposed to, anyways.

Reply 7
But do you not have a written exam after the reaction time experiment??
Reply 8
Original post by smasher
But do you not have a written exam after the reaction time experiment??

Where did I write that? :redface:

Reply 9
I know you didn't write that but my experiment for dropping the ruler is on tuesday and my written paper is on thursday so I just thought you would be the same too.

Reply 10
Original post by smasher
I know you didn't write that but my experiment for dropping the ruler is on tuesday and my written paper is on thursday so I just thought you would be the same too.

Oh, no I don't :smile: It's actually GCSE stuff, as I said above, we aren't actually supposed to do it now in Y9, but we still do. It's just homework to do the write-up.

Reply 11
Found it - "To investigate how fast the brain reacts to stimuli"!

Reply 12
ohh that makes more sense I thought this thread was for the A2 ISA to be honest.
Reply 13
and coincidentally this is the same experiment I am doing for my A2 Biology ISA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending