The Student Room Group

"Throw the egg yolk away!"

I've been given this advice by a friend who claims the egg yolk is bad to eat in terms of cholesterol content etc. Egg whites taste bland. I'd rather not eat egg altogether lol. My Dad has told me that its filled with nutrients and should be consumed (albeit not in excess). I'm not trying to lose weight, just maintenance at this point. I run 3-4 times a week, sometimes 5. I just want to know what the deal is with the whole egg yolk shaming lol. Is there anything actually wrong with eating 2 whole eggs once a week or so?

Scroll to see replies

No, eat the whole damned egg.
Reply 2
Original post by thenewone61
I've been given this advice by a friend who claims the egg yolk is bad to eat in terms of cholesterol content etc. Egg whites taste bland. I'd rather not eat egg altogether lol. My Dad has told me that its filled with nutrients and should be consumed (albeit not in excess). I'm not trying to lose weight, just maintenance at this point. I run 3-4 times a week, sometimes 5. I just want to know what the deal is with the whole egg yolk shaming lol. Is there anything actually wrong with eating 2 whole eggs once a week or so?

No. Your friend has been reading too many health magazines and the diet nonsense they publish. Eggs are great. If you have high cholesterol then your egg intake is not the problem, it's the rest of your diet.
2 whole eggs a week is nothing and you don't need to worry unless you have some medical problem already or you're eating a lot more eggs than that a day
lol 2 whole eggs a week . Some body builders eat multiple a day
Reply 5
It's actually saturated fat in the diet, not dietary cholesterol, that raises your blood cholesterol. You don't need to worry about dietary cholesterol intake. Saying that, the yolk does contain some saturated fat, so I Wouldn't eat like 24 yolks in a week, but 2 whole eggs a week - you could eat 2 whole eggs a day and be in the clear.

IF you're trying to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you're consuming, and the best way to do that is to track calories and know your intake, so you can control it. Eggs are about 50-70kcal per egg, so 2 a day is perfectly fine I think. The white on its own has significantly fewer calories though, only bout 20kcal per egg white.
Errr

I eat about 7 eggs (3 yolks) every morning for breakfast.

Otherwise it just tastes like absolute dog filth.
Reply 7
Original post by Beardbrah
It's actually saturated fat in the diet, not dietary cholesterol, that raises your blood cholesterol. You don't need to worry about dietary cholesterol intake. Saying that, the yolk does contain some saturated fat, so I Wouldn't eat like 24 yolks in a week, but 2 whole eggs a week - you could eat 2 whole eggs a day and be in the clear.

IF you're trying to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you're consuming, and the best way to do that is to track calories and know your intake, so you can control it. Eggs are about 50-70kcal per egg, so 2 a day is perfectly fine I think. The white on its own has significantly fewer calories though, only bout 20kcal per egg white.

Thanks for the info. I was just confused by most fitness magazines telling women to not consume the yolk.
Reply 8
Original post by thenewone61

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/egss-and-health_b_3499583.html

This largely backs up the beard.

I might be a little concerned if you were eating as part of a full English everyday but on toast or the like it should cause no problems. I must also thank you, this thread has made me want egg on toast for dinner.
Hi OP,

Very good question indeed. Nope, 3 eggs per week are perfectly OK, especially if you are just trying to maintain your weight.

Three eggs won't be overboard and are very much within the weekly allowed limit.

Try to get organic eggs to avoid issues with chemicals use these days.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Reply 10
I eat 6 eggs per day. Three for breakfast and three after school / after my workout. I usually chuck about half of the egg yolks away.

If you're eating 2 eggs a week then it's perfectly fine to eat the egg yolk.
Reply 11
Throwing yolks away is such a waste.
Both are correct. Yolks are where the nutrients are which is exactly why having too much would not be healthy for you.

The only problem is that you are not having too much, and you will be fine.

I read that for most people, eating one per day is healthy.
Original post by ChristinaRose14
Hi OP,

Very good question indeed. Nope, 3 eggs per week are perfectly OK, especially if you are just trying to maintain your weight.

Three eggs won't be overboard and are very much within the weekly allowed limit.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Do tell me what chemicals are fed to chickens... I'd love to hear this.

Fyi that claim is utter garbage.

Original post by clh_hilary
Both are correct. Yolks are where the nutrients are which is exactly why having too much would not be healthy for you.

The only problem is that you are not having too much, and you will be fine.

I read that for most people, eating one per day is healthy.

You'd have to eat a ridiculous amount of eggs for it to affect you. I have 2 a day - my blood lipids are normal.

Just because you read something means nothing, magazines et al talk garbage to sell copies
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Do tell me what chemicals are fed to chickens... I'd love to hear this.

Fyi that claim is utter garbage.

You'd have to eat a ridiculous amount of eggs for it to affect you. I have 2 a day - my blood lipids are normal.

Just because you read something means nothing, magazines et al talk garbage to sell copies

They're fed hormones, antibiotics and sometimes steroids.

Another misinformed post by the angry cucumber!
Original post by goldenfish

Original post by ChristinaRose14
Hi OP,

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Incorrect, perhaps in the US - yes, but in the EU, hormones and antibiotics etc are banned from being used routinely unless under strict medical supervision, and slaughter is prohibited within this certain period etc. In fact the EU is the safest in food regulation and production - please do some research before you misinform others.

Source from FSA: http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/farmingfood/vetmeds/vetmedfaq/#.UyF9wvl_u2I

Antibiotic growth promoter have been banned in the EU since 2006 along with all other growth promoters.

Don't you look silly
Original post by Angry cucumber
Antibiotic growth promoter have been banned in the EU since 2006 along with all other growth promoters.

Don't you look silly

There are many types of anti biotics and pesticides used, Not just growth promoter. Not everything is banned.

Don't you look silly.
if you dip your dick in it it grows 3 inches longer

srs
There are many types of anti biotics and pesticides used, Not just growth promoter. Not everything is banned.

Don't you look silly.

Got any evidence?

Antibiotics are only used to treat disease anything else is banned under EU law as previously stated. Why would you feed a chicken a pesticide?

Quick Reply

Latest