The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music 2014/2015 revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pixiejoanna
On the essay question on Peripetie, what points did people write under each heading:

Rhythm
Melody
Texture
Harmony
Dynamics

How did people find it? :smile:

Rhythm: Use of Triplets, Demisemiquavers and Sextuplets
Melody: Fragmented, Klangfarbonmelodie - Melody passed around the orchestra
Texture: Polyphonic - Varies between thin and thick at times - E.g. towards the end of the piece it is thick as it builds up but in the B and C Sections the texture is thin
Harmony: Use of Hexachords to create dissonance + Atonality
Dynamics: Range from pp-fff + Use of Performance Markings such as Heftig (passionate) and ruhiger (calmer) + Contrasting dynamics create contrasting sections in the piece

- Hopefully this is right!
The only reason why I didn't do Miles was because I couldn't remember which year All Blues were composed in.
Seems good to me! I did:
Rhythm: varied and irregular rhythms, semi quavers and quavers
Melody: angular, klangfarbenmelodie
Texture: polyphonic, bit of homophony, monophonic at end, contrasting textures
Harmony: atonality, dissonance, hexachords and compliment
Dynamics: wide range, sometimes sudden and sometimes gradual

I should've done Miles now that I think about it, my Schoenberg points were quite weak in comparison to the Miles, but I let that one mark year question get to me.
Original post by thatwasahardexam
Sorry buddy, there was no recapitulation box, it was development, and the second subject is in Bb major, I'm 100% sure about it.
On the other hand the melody was repeated an octave higher, as the wind instruments take over the melody originally played by the strings.
Sorry, I don't mean to crush your comment, just very stressed out :')

I'm pretty sure it is G minor because the 2nd subject isn't even played in the development and in the recapitulation the 2nd subject is in G minor instead of Bb major. You could tell it wasn't Bb major as it was a minor sound.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jazzyrobot
Errm really sorry to disagree! But the end of the piece is definitely the coda! And in classical music, the piece has to start and end in the same key which is why the second time we hear the 2nd subject it is in Gm because the piece started in Gm. Listen to the piece and you'll hear it :smile: I don't want this to be correct because I got it wrong :frown: but I know it's right unfortuantely! Sorry :s

Never mind, I posted this before I read the latest part of the thread :smile:

Yeah I agree because it's sonata form, A B A Coda

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Reich question at bottom of page. Could it be sampling?
Original post by Wibbia
Reich question at bottom of page. Could it be sampling?

Multi track, I think sampling is something different.

I'll be happy with a B after that. Threw away a lot of silly marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by Déscartés
Multi track, I think sampling is something different.

I'll be happy with a B after that. Threw away a lot of silly marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I wanted an A but after that it might be difficult.
For the rag desh rhythmic pattern, did you have to say Keherwar Tal or could you just say "tal(a)"? (Normally markschemes gives some sort of leeway?) Also what the f*** were the devotional stuff - I said the drone creates a spiritual mood and the Hindusthani/Sanskrit words are devotional
Original post by enyi_okpara
Rhythm: Use of Triplets, Demisemiquavers and Sextuplets
Melody: Fragmented, Klangfarbonmelodie - Melody passed around the orchestra
Texture: Polyphonic - Varies between thin and thick at times - E.g. towards the end of the piece it is thick as it builds up but in the B and C Sections the texture is thin
Harmony: Use of Hexachords to create dissonance + Atonality
Dynamics: Range from pp-fff + Use of Performance Markings such as Heftig (passionate) and ruhiger (calmer) + Contrasting dynamics create contrasting sections in the piece

- Hopefully this is right!

In the melody, I just talked about Hauptstimme and Nebenstimme as well aha and the extreme range on the different instruments
What did people write for the Davis question? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Kieran3
What did people write for the Davis question? Thanks :smile:

Melody: Head melody played by the trumpet, features a major sixth leap but rest is stepwise. Use of Blue note (flattened 7th) and G mixolydian mode. Four solos: trumpet solo has some chromaticism syncopation and ornamentation, alto sax solo is virtuosic, tenor sax solo has lots of fast runs and piano solo is calm and chordal.
Improvised solo melody.

Harmony: literally just wrote out the chord sequence and said it uses the 12 bar blues chord progression with substitution added note chords.

Structure: based around the 12 bar blues, begins with an intro followed by head 1 link head 2 link and then the four solos with the piano solo being half the length of the other solos. Then theres the head and the outro with trumpet playing melody.

Rhythm: I said the time signature just in case and then said there are some synocpated rhythms e.g. in the trumpet solo. Also swung quavers which is a common feature of jazz. Generally, not too many lively rhythms because it has that subdued "blues" feel.

Instruments: Frontline instruments - trumpet, alto sax, tenor sax. Rhythm section - piano, drum kit and double bass. Standard line up for jazz music. Also, variety f timbres e.g. Davis uses the harmon mute which gives trumpet a subdued sound and the drummer uses wire brushes.

And I linked everything I said to the idea that "the musical elements are used in a way which reflects the style of jazz".

Btw, for the two questions for Davis, what were the answers? 1959 and jazz?
Original post by IAmAsian
For the rag desh rhythmic pattern, did you have to say Keherwar Tal or could you just say "tal(a)"? (Normally markschemes gives some sort of leeway?) Also what the f*** were the devotional stuff - I said the drone creates a spiritual mood and the Hindusthani/Sanskrit words are devotional

I said tala as well! Which is annoying as I knew it was keherwa but thought the question meant tala. Oops. Maybe we'll get it. For devotional I said the drone and totally forgot the lyrics so I put the building up of the piece...
I said tala as well! Which is annoying as I knew it was keherwa but thought the question meant tala. Oops. Maybe we'll get it. For devotional I said the drone and totally forgot the lyrics so I put the building up of the piece...

Exact SAME thing happened to me! For devotional, I put that voice was used since it's the instrument that is considered highest to the gods, and the use of meends created feeling of devotion, idek xD
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Exact SAME thing happened to me! For devotional, I put that voice was used since it's the instrument that is considered highest to the gods, and the use of meends created feeling of devotion, idek xD

That question was just so random!! They're too ambigous imo.

I've figured out all my answers and put the marks next the questions. I'm missing 5 marks somehow out of the 80. Shall I post it?
Ooh yes please that would be really helpful!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IAmAsian
Melody: Head melody played by the trumpet, features a major sixth leap but rest is stepwise. Use of Blue note (flattened 7th) and G mixolydian mode. Four solos: trumpet solo has some chromaticism syncopation and ornamentation, alto sax solo is virtuosic, tenor sax solo has lots of fast runs and piano solo is calm and chordal.
Improvised solo melody.

Harmony: literally just wrote out the chord sequence and said it uses the 12 bar blues chord progression with substitution added note chords.

Structure: based around the 12 bar blues, begins with an intro followed by head 1 link head 2 link and then the four solos with the piano solo being half the length of the other solos. Then theres the head and the outro with trumpet playing melody.

Rhythm: I said the time signature just in case and then said there are some synocpated rhythms e.g. in the trumpet solo. Also swung quavers which is a common feature of jazz. Generally, not too many lively rhythms because it has that subdued "blues" feel.

Instruments: Frontline instruments - trumpet, alto sax, tenor sax. Rhythm section - piano, drum kit and double bass. Standard line up for jazz music. Also, variety f timbres e.g. Davis uses the harmon mute which gives trumpet a subdued sound and the drummer uses wire brushes.

And I linked everything I said to the idea that "the musical elements are used in a way which reflects the style of jazz".

Btw, for the two questions for Davis, what were the answers? 1959 and jazz?

Wasn't it 1959 and blues? If the piece is jazz itself, surely it cannot have influenced itself?
That was my guess anyway, I might be wrong :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I wrote "modal jazz (and blues)" cos I guess it was influenced by both - using mixolydian modes etc is a result of modal jazz but yeah that confused me

I said tala! The way the question was worded made me think it was asking for the general name of the rhythmic cycles? I knew it was Keherwa as well which is so frustrating
Original post by emma_louise_17
I said tala! The way the question was worded made me think it was asking for the general name of the rhythmic cycles? I knew it was Keherwa as well which is so frustrating

Yeah! That was my exact thought process. So annoying. Maybe it'll be in the 'acceptable answers' column. I don't know but I am feeling awful about this exam now
What was the answer for the other percussion instrument it asked you for in Rag Desh?? I put bell because I could hear a bell tinging in the extract but don't think it's right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending