Led Zepplin-Stairway to Heaven

Watch
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Fantastic song, but how do you understand the lyrics? What do you think the story is behind this great song by Led Zepplin?

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for.
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings.
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings,
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it makes me wonder.

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west,
And my spirit is crying for leaving.
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees,
And the voices of those who stand looking.

Ooh, it makes me wonder,
Ooh, it really makes me wonder.

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune,
Then the piper will lead us to reason.
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter.

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now,
It's just a spring clean for the May queen.
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on.
And it makes me wonder.

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul.
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold.
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last.
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying a stairway to heaven.
Also what's your favourite Led Zepplin song
RedArrow
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
My favorite song is Ramble on.

Stairwayheaven is uniteresting and boring and for old deaf people
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Not sure I can pick a favourite. Dazed and Confused is always good.

Edit: And while Stairway to Heaven may get boring to listen to, it is the absolute best to play. Pure joy, never gets tiring.
King Leonidas
Rep:
(Original post by RedArrow)
My favorite song is Ramble on.

Stairwayheaven is uniteresting and boring and for old deaf people

(Original post by Ronove)
Not sure I can pick a favourite. Dazed and Confused is always good.

Edit: And while Stairway to Heaven may get boring to listen to, it is the absolute best to play. Pure joy, never gets tiring.
What makes you think that it is boring, I think the story telling and build up to that lasr verse is phenomenal. I understand that is is not as upbeat and rock n roll as their other songs, but it is still brilliant in its own way
Mr_Sinister
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
When the levee breaks and houses of the holy
-Neuro-
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
My interpretation of “Stairway to Heaven” was that "the lady who's sure" has based her whole life on material things, this lady is sure that “all that glitters is gold”. Eventually when she's on her way to heaven, she doesn't believe any of the signs that say she can't get in once she reaches the gates because her life lacks a spiritual base. That's why her stairway is unstable, fake and lies on a foundation of "whispering wind", she’s been “buying a stairway to heaven”! I thought that throughout the song, the lady's experience perhaps parallels the band's reflection on what they've done in life and that they might be pondering if they'll one day end up on a similar stairway to this lady. Hence, "there's a feeling I get when I look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving"- they fear they've left their spiritual path to travel down a road of materialism. At first they believe they can simply change their fate and walk down the right path when they need to, but as their shadows grow long, they realise they may have been too late. :beard:

This was the second Led Zeppelin song I'd ever heard, my first being Kashmir :yep:

As far as my favourites go:
Achilles Last Stand, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, When The Levee Breaks, Since I've Been Loving You, Misty Mountain Hop, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman), Black Dog, House of the Holy, In My Time of Dying, Kashmir....

I could add a lot, lot more I love Led Zeppelin so much! :love:
King Leonidas
Rep:
(Original post by -Neuro-)
My interpretation of the “Stairway to Heaven” was that "the lady who's sure" has based her whole life on material things, this lady is sure that “all that glitters is gold”. Eventually when she's on her way to heaven, she doesn't believe any of the signs that say she can't get in once she reaches the gates because her life lacks a spiritual base. That's why her stairway is unstable, fake and lies on a foundation of "whispering wind.", she’s been “buying a stairway to heaven”! I thought that throughout the song, the lady's experience perhaps parallels the band's reflection on what they've done in life and that they might be pondering if they'll one day end up on a similar stairway to this lady. Hence, "there's a feeling I get when I look to the west, and my spirit is crying for leaving"- they fear they've left their spiritual path to travel down a road of materialism. At first they believe they can simply change their fate and walk down the right path when they need to, but as their shadows grow long, they realise they may have been too late. :beard:

This was the second Led Zeppelin song! I heard, my first being Kashmir :yep:
This is basically how I understand the song:yep:

Kashmir rocks:awesome:
StrangestThings
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Immigrant Song is my favourite, how could it be anything else? Good song to drive to.

I always thought it was about a materialistic woman that believes money can get her anything she wants. She is not sure whether to believe in religion or not as things can be misinterpreted but she knows that our view of the world is different from others. Then the singer is questioning the meaning of life and what will happen after it. He later says that you can change the way you life is heading. The lady will die soon but her stairway is not going to take her to heaven because it is false due to the fact she's lived such an empty life. It says that people still live their lives in pursuit of gold but we all will die eventually and living like that will not make us happy or help us reach heaven.

Well that is my interpretation anyho.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (9)
12.33%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.37%
Finding the time to revise (7)
9.59%
Finding the motivation (16)
21.92%
Getting distracted (12)
16.44%
Procrastination (28)
38.36%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads