How much choice in History degree? Oxford / Durham / Russell group Watch

_Katie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm thinking of applying for History (or History and Spanish), and looking at universities like Oxford and Durham.
Broadly speaking, I'm interesting in all areas of History, however modern history - 19th and 20th century European and military history - think Weimar and Nazi Germany, Tsarist and Stalinist Russia, Eastern Europe, Francoist Spain and Mussolini etc. are the areas I'm most fascinated by.

My question: how much choice is there generally in the modules covered in studying history at university, and how much scope is there for studying these areas of history? Thanks.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You really need to read the course descriptions at the universities in which you are interested. They will tell you which modules (if any) are compulsory and which are optional. Look particularly at special subjects in these areas - not only can you take these, but there will be staff who are expert in them which will help you at dissertation time.

FWIW the areas you mention are pretty common in most History syllabuses.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As above, re. reading course descriptions. All History courses will be different and the only way you'll see this is by detailed reading of course and optional unit descriptions for all three years of the course.

Look also at courses called European Studies or Iberian Studies or Latin-American Studies - these will have an obvious 'Spanish' slant and will include relevant units on language, culture and history. Look also at courses called 'Liberal Arts' now being offered at many top Unis (including Exeter & Bristol) - these are 4 year courses that combine a variety of Social Science & Humanities subjects and offer an integral year abroad.

Lots of general advice about applying for History courses here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/history_degree
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think almost all universities all over the world would cover modern history, that's definitely not a problem.

They should have a course list somewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%