The Student Room Group

English Lang/Lit B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rich-matth
The Lear question wasn't the best tbf i mean deception wasn't the best thing to discuss and there wasn't much to link to the rest of the play mergh ah well we'll see in August

i wrote about context in the introduction. i mentioned how edgar deceiving gloucester created a comic effect, made it moving and also wrote about the tragic side of the scene. dramatic effects i did were pathos/empathy humour and a little on admiration (for Edgar). i mentioned things such as dominance, metaphors, semantic fields, imperative utterances, lakoff's politeness theory.
i always do better in the lear question than the unseen got 28/48 roughly for my mock on both questions which gave me a high B (3 marks off A)
Reply 181
Did anyone who did the Crucible question mention about the Mcarthyism?
This paper was so hard :frown:
The poem completly throwed me!
Reply 182
Original post by vhowkins
Let's just hope next year's paper is a little nicer. I'm probably going to have to re-sit all of the coursework too… which means that I'll have re-sat the whole course. Aren't I clever :frown:

nah

you can just do the exam

my friend did that this year, kept her old coursework and just did the exams again,
Original post by tgwktm
i wrote about context in the introduction. i mentioned how edgar deceiving gloucester created a comic effect, made it moving and also wrote about the tragic side of the scene. dramatic effects i did were pathos/empathy humour and a little on admiration (for Edgar). i mentioned things such as dominance, metaphors, semantic fields, imperative utterances, lakoff's politeness theory.
i always do better in the lear question than the unseen got 28/48 roughly for my mock on both questions which gave me a high B (3 marks off A)

Yhh i got all the Lear stuff okay mentioned the link dramatic irony created, threw in some stuff about word play looking back i dont think it was a terrible paper just not a very nice one
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by Soph_94

yup

analysing poems is so much harder than stories or even plays. Deffo got an E in that paper maybe even U.

Oh boy looks like a retake next year.
Original post by Soph_94

The poem threw a lot of people tbh though if on a whole people did badly at least the grade boundaries will be changed accordingly
Reply 186
Original post by Rich-matth
The poem threw a lot of people tbh though if on a whole people did badly at least the grade boundaries will be changed accordingly

I hope so... Good luck though! :smile:
Original post by Soph_94
I hope so... Good luck though! :smile:

Same to you :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by xxvine
yup

analysing poems is so much harder than stories or even plays. Deffo got an E in that paper maybe even U.

Oh boy looks like a retake next year.

Oh! How did you mention it?
I linked it to how Proctor was much of Miller himself and how his religious knowledge was being questioned, similar to how he was questioned in the 1950's and that God alone is to judge his attitude about faith rather a person. Went on a bit of a tangent but ahhh was so awful! :frown:

I can't even retake :frown:
Reply 189
Original post by Soph_94
Oh! How did you mention it?
I linked it to how Proctor was much of Miller himself and how his religious knowledge was being questioned, similar to how he was questioned in the 1950's and that God alone is to judge his attitude about faith rather a person. Went on a bit of a tangent but ahhh was so awful! :frown:

I can't even retake :frown:

ahh i didn't apply for uni always planned a gap year but still some Uni's don't like retake but then again i don't want to go to Oxbridge or UCL or LSE etc lol

it was a horrid paper though. Very hard. The Crucible steer was horrible because you couldn't use any other characters since it clearly said ''Proctors''. FFS
What a horrible, horrible paper.
Know I did terrible, oh well
Original post by xxvine
ahh i didn't apply for uni always planned a gap year but still some Uni's don't like retake but then again i don't want to go to Oxbridge or UCL or LSE etc lol

it was a horrid paper though. Very hard. The Crucible steer was horrible because you couldn't use any other characters since it clearly said ''Proctors''. FFS

I mean what the **** was the point of adding random dialogue from Elizabeth at the end of the passage? So stupid.
Reply 192
Original post by ProcrastinatePro
I mean what the **** was the point of adding random dialogue from Elizabeth at the end of the passage? So stupid.

Haha tell me about it! It's like they actually enjoy making the exam papers a joke. Of all the possible passages and questions they could have set and they choose one like that :rolleyes:
I thought this was english lit B! were my gothic crew at?

I STUDY WUTHERING HEIGHTS, BLOODY CHAMBER AND MACBETH
Reply 194
Original post by xxvine

So did you only mention Proctor??
Reply 195
Original post by eliza-r
So did you only mention Proctor??

think so

and hale

who else could you mention?
Seems like everyone is in the same boat as me on this thread!
The unseen question made me want to cry!

Unlike the rest of you, I did 'Waiting For Godot' by Samuel Beckett, and I have to say that question wasn't great either - I'm praying the grade boundaries will be lowered!
parris
Original post by GoodDaysBadDays

Unlike the rest of you, I did 'Waiting For Godot' by Samuel Beckett, and I have to say that question wasn't great either - I'm praying the grade boundaries will be lowered!

Once I saw the question I literally thought my teachers would kill me. I'm going to have to retake. Attitudes towards talking and thinking? I mean grr! I didn't know where the extract was placed :frown:
Reply 199
Original post by GoodDaysBadDays

the unseen was so hard

the interview was pretty hard to follow as well and the poem

meh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending