The Student Room Group

March cambridge chemistry challenge!

i'm looking at the entry level question for this month's challenge, i think the answer has something to do with the polypeptide titin? Guidance needed!!
Original post by molly_ms
i'm looking at the entry level question for this month's challenge, i think the answer has something to do with the polypeptide titin? Guidance needed!!

Each of the people pictured is a female Nobel Prize winner.
Reply 2
got it, thanks :smile:
Not Just that, the clues give more about their discoveries: e.g The "209" on the "Marie Curie" stamp is the average relative atomic mass of the 33 isotopes of Polonium, which she discovered whilst investigating pitchblende in 1898 (Polonium 210 was the isotope which killed Alexander Litvinenko in 2006)
Also Irene Joliet Curie & her husband discovered artificial radioactivity by making stable Phosphorus radioactive by irradiating it with helium nucleii (alpha-particles): 27Al + 4He 30P + 1n... hence the 30 on the stamp
And of course Dorothy Hodgkin determined the structure of Vitamin B12 (C63H88CoN14O14P) which has a relative molecular mass of 1355.37. She also taught chemistry at Oxford to, amongst others, Margaret Roberts, who became Margaret Thatcher. Thatcher kept a portrait of Hodgkin on the wall at Downing Street whilst she was in office!
Sorry, I may have been unclear in my answer. The Curies irradiated aluminum with alpha particles (i.e. helium nuclei) which resulted in the formation of an unstable isotope of phosphorus together with the formation of a neutron
I am stuck on the identity of the person on the last stamp. I assume it is a female Nobel prize winner like the other 3, and that the number gives the identity of the atom/molecule/species the prize was for. I can only guess that the last stamp may be Rosalyn Yalow who won the nobel prize in 1977 for the radioimmunoassay of peptide hormones (some peptide hormones can have sizes of around 4Mda). The link is the radioactivity component.
I'm probably totally wrong but I can't think of any other answer that fits

Quick Reply

Latest